Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

I'm not sure what the solutions will be for my, um, "difficult subjects" (i.e. those flowers or birds or insects, etc. for whom I'll need to give some color adjustment/fine-tuning and attention to) all the more reason for my desires to broaden my understandings of natural color and how the camera interprets it moving forward...I need a good foundation to build upon.

If it helps, you can go to a hardware store and grab a bunch of highly-saturated free paint swatches with the brightest colours you can find (and grab some skin-coloured ones too while you're there if you don't already have a colour checker) and you can experiment with those.  

Assuming you're setup with a calibrated monitor and neutral studio lighting (I recommend MediaLight https://www.biaslighting.com/ and have lit my studio with their bias light and plug-in globes) then you can shoot some test shots (I recommend in full-sun for best colour accuracy, or a halogen / incandescent globe if it's not sunny outside) and then you can bring the switches into the studio and compare them to your monitor (if you have a portable high-CRI light you can light the swatches with that - keeping any spill off your monitor) and literally compare then side-by-side, which is by far more brutal a comparison than anyone would ever have looking at your work in isolation.  

Much easier to do that than convert your studio into a rainforest habitat!

13 hours ago, mercer said:

@Jimmy G I understand your desire for raw files, once I started shooting raw on my 5Diii, 5 years ago, I was hooked and every new camera release since, although tempting with their new features, always seemed lacking. 14bit Raw is very addictive.

Since this is a thread on the GH6, I won't waste too much space pushing other cameras, especially since the ProRes HQ files should be pretty juicy, but since you also mentioned macro shooting, I figured I'd mention it...

What are your thoughts on RAW vs Prores and how good Prores is at matching the capabilities of RAW?

I ask because lots of folks here have only shot with h26x and RAW and the differences are obvious, but may not be aware of where Prores sits in that spectrum.

13 hours ago, mercer said:

Anyway, sorry for the detour...

GH6. 

lol.... 

12 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

The high-contrast streaking issue seems to be rearing its head a bit unfortunately.

(not personal experience, just what I'm seeing online)

Are you able to provide any examples?

I've seen a number of tests that don't have these issues, so interested in seeing how people are testing this.

I'm seeing random idiots all mouthing off without having any thought (or even fact) behind their opinions all the time at this point.  I think I saw one person declare that the GH6 was useless because it didn't have PDAF and then raved about the S1 for a while, I was thinking "um.........??"

35 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

You left out the most important department: craft services

lol..  

I find that when shooting with the family on trips there's a few things that solve lots of problems.  Unfortunately one of the ones that gets used most often is a credit card!!

8 hours ago, kye said:

Are you able to provide any examples?

I've seen a number of tests that don't have these issues, so interested in seeing how people are testing this.

This is from Facebook (from a reliable source).
The streaking runs across the flag upper left.
As others have pointed out this is a pretty extreme situation, but i do still think its a concern.  Stuff like this catches you out when you're not expecting it.

5592908_n.jpg

25 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

As others have pointed out this is a pretty extreme situation, but i do still think its a concern.  Stuff like this catches you out when you're not expecting it.

5592908_n.jpg

Yes, it is noteworthy, but it would be good to see some tests where the magnitude of the streaks is known.  ie, are the streaks 10-stops below the bright part of the image?  20-stops?  30-stops?  

If we knew that then it would be easier to know which situations you might encounter a problem and which you wouldn't.

This is the GH6 XYLA21 chart from CineD, and the curve from the brightest patch to the noise floor (the curve on its left) looks like it drops away into the noise floor pretty quickly, so I'd imagine that for the streaks to be visible above the noise floor maybe 1/4 of the width of the frame from the brightest areas (as in the image you showed) then the highlighted areas must be well above 13 stops or so above the flag.  That seems obvious considering the flag is pretty dark and the windows are completely blown to hell, so who knows how bright they actually are.

Waveform-LUMIX-GH6-5.7K-DR-Boost-ISO2000

On 3/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, Mmmbeats said:

Interesting.

Is it also simply a mismatch in refresh rates between the lighting in the shot setup, and the video frame rate setting of the camera? 

I read somewhere that this is visible in Sony and Fuji cameras too. So maybe this could be compared.

Maybe its visible across many digital camera, regardless of dual gain signal or the regular signal circuitry. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The DR in that video looks like 8 stops. Not so hot, probably user error, I hope.

Not sure what picture profile they were using but I really dislike the highlight roll off in many of the shots. I am going to  guess that it was probably CineD 2 or something other than V-LOG, which from my experience on the S5 and S1, has better roll off .

Not saying I could do better than the videographer who shot this. Just saying that with a lot of cameras this has been one thing that bugs me (probably more than it bugs a lot of other videographers).

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Not sure what picture profile they were using but I really dislike the highlight roll off in many of the shots. I am going to  guess that it was probably CineD 2 or something other than V-LOG, which from my experience on the S5 and S1, has better roll off .

Not saying I could do better than the videographer who shot this. Just saying that with a lot of cameras this has been one thing that bugs me (probably more than it bugs a lot of other videographers).

It was V-Log. This person did another film with the GH6 which looks just as bad, oversharpened with a horrible highlight roll-off, colors etc. Don't know where to start even, but perfect to promote other manufacturer's cameras instead.

But "cinematic" since the title says so I guess...

Not the camera's fault either, I have a GH6 myself and it has a fantastic video image with a super smooth roll-off with DR Boost On and no sharpening and almost no NR in ProRes. 

@deezid Always good to have you, the grand connoisseur of the cinematic image! I remember your GH4 and GH5 showcases and they were showing off the qualities of these cameras perfectly. So please give us your insights regarding colour, thickness, response in post, comparison to the S line cameras besides lowlight. Better, post some of your stuff. That would be awesome and get more people to buy this camera. I hope you will continue to put out quality stuff like your GH4 Vlog showcase:

By the way, this is an example how to integrate footage into the main board instead of burrying it in the shooting section. Padding my shoulder now.🙂

Emanuels post is just as important to remind us that it is possible to screw up the image from the GH6 so badly that we all are protected from spending 2500 USD. Thank you Emanuel, you saved a lot of people a lot of money by posting this youtubers video. 🙂  @Emanuel

In reference to nothing in particular, I think I remember seeing resolution chart shots of GH5 1080p and 4k video stills where you could check for aliasing or softness and compare to other cameras. 

I had thought it was the DPR studio comparison scene but when I look at that I just see photo stills and not video stills. Am I misremembering or does that ring a bell with anyone? Maybe it was on a different site?

@deezid what do you think of the GH6 1080p versus GH5 for aliasing and softness? Is it as good?

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Does the GH6 really not have the ability to add a battery grip?

DPR says this. "Unlike previous GH models, there won't be a battery grip available for the GH6." Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me. Plus the camera body looks fat as heck to me.