Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I encourage everyone to watch Media Division.

Gerald's video has a very weird tone. I can't tell if he is sad its not a FF Sony camera or that he knows he just burnt his relationship with Panasonic? Very different from his usual product tours and testing of other cameras. Oh well. Media division did an awesome job actually using the camera and telling us about its features and problems.

@Andrew Reid what are your thoughts with it so far?

He seemed like he'd rather be doing anything but making a video about the GH6. I stopped watching after a couple minutes, and probably should've stopped after he complained about having to get the video out at 8PM instead of taking his time and putting more thought into it. 

I used to really enjoy his videos but he doesn't really seem to enjoy doing them anymore. 

I think people really only need to watch the Media Division and the Three Blind Men And An Elephant (Hugh is wonderful) videos. 

So after wathcing like 4 or 5 youtube reviews I can say that this is a very good video camera for hand held video shooting where you don't need AF. No gimbal. But.. you probably don't need one cos IBIS is so good. I am actually not a fun of gimbals and if I didn't swtich to Sony A7S3 and sold all my MFT gear I would be interested in this camera for sure. This camera plus SB and Sigma 18-35 is still a very sweet package for hand-held video shooting. I wounder if they have an ability to record gyro data like Sony cameras to use it later with something like GyroFlow and if it will work in conjunction with its IBIS unlike Sony, please Andrew test it. 

Wanna see more IBIS tests. 

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

I thought his review was so exaggerated. He was like "when ypu want the best impossible image, M43 is dead". Whoa, it almost seemed like he was dumped today or yesterday. 

Undone is the guy who claims the Sigma 18-35mm has better AF than the Summilux 10-25mm on the GH5. I recall he also said the A7SIII 4k video was sharper than the A7III. He clearly biased for Sony and destroys anything about Panasonic. About his S5 review, the only thing he said about the IBIS was the S1 is clearly better without comparing to Sony or anything like that. 

3 hours ago, Robert Patts said:

Five years in development and they still could not fix the issue with HDMI latency.

@Tito Ferradans shows the latency here and it seems like there isn't any...  linked to the timecode:

2 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

There's no change in highlight retention unless using DR boost (ISO 200)

V-Log_graph_LRG.thumb.png.087bd0a00acae529ace69f9b70089e35.png

12ish stops (if we believe the numbers, how much is noise?) at IS0 250 with 4ish above middle grey and 8 below. 13ish stops at ISO 2000, 5ish above and 8 below. 

CineD have their results up: https://www.cined.com/panasonic-lumix-gh6-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude/

Waveform-LUMIX-GH6-5.7K-DR-Boost-ISO2000

GH6-5.7K-ProRes-HQ-DR-Boost-ISO2000-VLOG

Other modes do a little differently, but one highlight was that the Prores didn't do much NR and they found they "show a very nice, organic noise floor with additional stops that can be retrieved in post-processing".

Considering that the GH5 combination of features suits me better than any other camera, and it's got 2 full extra stops of DR, which is cool.

2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

ok, I change my mind, this review is da best 😁

Yeah, Media Division are spectacular.

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

So aside from failed AF (as expected) its a really nice cinema camera and in my opinion the price is justified for the specs it provides - 4k120, 6k60, DR boost, best in class IBIS, internal Prores. 

Plus all sorts of other little cool things too.  So many things while watching reviews that made me think "oh, that's super useful - I'd use that".

8 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Panasonic's excuse for not implementing PDAF seemed quite poor and hard to believe.

In fact, it is a new excuse - the prior one was that the PDAF pixels degraded image quality (was at that time that it was an issue in Sony and Fuji cameras - the PDAF strips appearing in some light angles).

Still don't get it, but now it could have another reason - DPReview said

"The GH6's sensor, which we're told is 'not made by the company everyone always assumes we use,' features a dual output gain design. This is not to be confused with the switchable dual gain sensors we've seen in an increasing majority of modern cameras, but instead is closer to the design used in Arri and some Canon cinema cameras. The sensor has two, parallel output paths and at high ISO settings, the output from both paths is combined to give both highlight and shadow detail."

It is a hint that it is not a Sony one, and maybe the new manufacturer don't have expertise in PDAF sensors. WHo makes the Arri's sensors?

4 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In fact, it is a new excuse - the prior one was that the PDAF pixels degraded image quality (was at that time that it was an issue in Sony and Fuji cameras - the PDAF strips appearing in some light angles).

Still don't get it, but now it could have another reason - DPReview said

"The GH6's sensor, which we're told is 'not made by the company everyone always assumes we use,' features a dual output gain design. This is not to be confused with the switchable dual gain sensors we've seen in an increasing majority of modern cameras, but instead is closer to the design used in Arri and some Canon cinema cameras. The sensor has two, parallel output paths and at high ISO settings, the output from both paths is combined to give both highlight and shadow detail."

It is a hint that it is not a Sony one, and maybe the new manufacturer don't have expertise in PDAF sensors. WHo makes the Arri's sensors?

Ha!  Wouldn't that be hilarious...  "oh, the GH6 doesn't use AF because it's got sensors from the same place ARRI gets theirs!"

....still wouldn't shut up the people who can't focus their lenses by themselves 😛 

Some tidbits that i noted in quick readings (don't have time now for full reviews):

- As said in the response above, looks like that Panasonic is REALLY not using a Sony sensor this time - that explains the odd 25mp resolution;

- AF-ON button, finally m4/3 cameras have a proper one. Hope that it goes down the lines (if there will be any);

- The camera have the same weather sealing resistance as the GH5 - the fan part is sealed from the electronics inside;

- The promised firmware update to record in external SSD drives using the USB port is a huge bonus;

Looks like a very solid camera - and maybe with some tweaks, the AF could work for a lot of cases, for sure less than the competition.