Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I didn't realise the full specs were already shared.

Seems quite promising. I am curious about the autofocus, the dynamic range and low light improvements.

It's a leak / rumour / planted item.

Do people think this data rate is correct - 5.7K 30p Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1.9Gbps - seems awful high!

6 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Do people think this data rate is correct - 5.7K 30p Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1.9Gbps - seems awful high!

The accompanying video by the japanese guy outlined a lot of the specs. I don't remember whether it had a frame of the ProRes though. 

5 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The accompanying video by the japanese guy outlined a lot of the specs. I don't remember whether it had a frame of the ProRes though. 

I saw the video again. Data rate doesn't seem to be mentioned in English numbers (unless it was in Japanese). At 6:39 or so he shows the ProRes recording option on the menu. 

For the first time I am not excited for a new GH camera. Makes me a bit sad to realize that.:/

Andrew and members of this forum like Kye, if i remember this right, have been suggesting and inspiring the discussion about different form factors for hybrids. I was hoping for something else. With Prores LT to HQ for different resolutions and framerates it would bring some excitement back to me though. If for 5.7K 30p only, not so much. Prores 4444 in 2K modes and downsampled 2K opengate or S16 in 4to3 format with full S16 width, now we are talking.

28 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

For the first time I am not excited for a new GH camera. Makes me a bit sad to realize that.:/

Andrew and members of this forum like Kye, if i remember this right, have been suggesting and inspiring the discussion about different form factors for hybrids. I was hoping for something else. With Prores LT to HQ for different resolutions and framerates it would bring some excitement back to me though. If for 5.7K 30p only, not so much. Prores 4444 in 2K modes and downsampled 2K opengate or S16 in 4to3 format with full S16 width, now we are talking.

I wouldn't take it as only 5.7K 30p, but at a maximum. Everything below should be supported.. one would think.

Just turn on the subs and switch to your native tongue..

My feeling is its hard to get that excited in 2022 for a MFT camera with DFD AF priced at $2500 (if that rumored price is confirmed). 

The GH2 was popular.. when it retailed at $900.

6K & ProRes are cool but BMPCC 6K Pro has been doing ProRes & BRAW on a S35 sensor with ND's for some time now and at the same rumored price.

If this were priced at $1400 like the current GH5 price it would make a splash but at $2.5K it is DOA imo.

2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I find this codec table useful: https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/13/compare-50-intermediate-codecs/

Prores has about the same bitrate per pixel regardless of resolution, so UHD is 4x the database of 1080p because it's got 4x the pixels - twice the width and twice the height.  From this standpoint 5.7K should be about 1.6Gbps, so it's more than Prores HQ and less than Prores 4444 (which would be 2.2Gbps).

Still, this is an incredible bitrate and may as well be RAW.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I'd assume those would all be included.  Fun times for film-makers who prefer to capture in a professional codec in the resolution they want to distribute in!

1 hour ago, Django said:

Just turn on the subs and switch to your native tongue..

My feeling is its hard to get that excited in 2022 for a MFT camera with DFD AF priced at $2500 (if that rumored price is confirmed). 

The GH2 was popular.. when it retailed at $900.

6K & ProRes are cool but BMPCC 6K Pro has been doing ProRes & BRAW on a S35 sensor with ND's for some time now and at the same rumored price.

If this were priced at $1400 like the current GH5 price it would make a splash but at $2.5K it is DOA imo.

If your exposure to a cameras popularity is only on forums like these then you will be missing the incredible popularity that the GH5 still has to this day.  I'm in GH5 FB groups where new people are upgrading to the GH5 and posting the newbie questions regularly, like what gimbal is best? what cage? best lenses? best vintage lenses? can it shoot RAW? how can I get it to do X? etc etc..  

TBH those groups are a completely different world than here, and other forums.  There are people out there filming paid gigs for music videos and weddings and the like that have just bought the camera and are filming them with the kit lens and don't know that colour profiles exist.  People post their (often paid) work all the time, ask for feedback, and get 50 people replying recommending they buy lights and study the framing and camera movement of movies and high-end productions.

35 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

AF is awful. Look at those lights in the background

Yeah, the AF seems to sort-of jump and pulse.  This might be tunable with settings perhaps.  

The AF issues from the GH5 were mostly it being slow or just deciding to focus on the background rather than the person in the middle of the frame, so maybe those are lesser issues.

It's not like the other manufacturers have worked it out though - I still see AF fails on vlogs shot on Canon and Sony cameras.  They tend to be included in the part where something funny or interesting happens and they want to include it for storytelling purposes and couldn't re-shoot it, so those moments are often little BTS on what the camera is really capturing, and sometimes the AF is seriously ugly.

34 minutes ago, kye said:

If your exposure to a cameras popularity is only on forums like these then you will be missing the incredible popularity that the GH5 still has to this day.  I'm in GH5 FB groups where new people are upgrading to the GH5 and posting the newbie questions regularly, like what gimbal is best? what cage? best lenses? best vintage lenses? can it shoot RAW? how can I get it to do X? etc etc..  

TBH those groups are a completely different world than here, and other forums.  There are people out there filming paid gigs for music videos and weddings and the like that have just bought the camera and are filming them with the kit lens and don't know that colour profiles exist.  People post their (often paid) work all the time, ask for feedback, and get 50 people replying recommending they buy lights and study the framing and camera movement of movies and high-end productions.

Yeah we’ll like I said you can buy a GH5 new for $1400 and used for as low as $800 so no surprise you got noobs buying them daily and asking those sort of questions. 

But that’s irrelevant to todays market. I just don’t see GH6 making as much noise as it’s predecessors. Not at the rumoured price in the current S35/FF dominated  market..

10 minutes ago, Django said:

But that’s irrelevant to todays market. I just don’t see GH6 making as much noise as it’s predecessors. Not at the rumoured price in the current S35/FF dominated  market..

I've only been in the camera/ video hobby for 5 years now. But, I'm shocked more and more every year by how much money people will lay down for what seems like only iterative cameras (same with smartphones). This is a bit more than an enthusiast like me wants to spend, but, I think professionals will respond to this well enough.