Panasonic GH6

kye

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Mist interesting of all, Sony presented its stacked CMOS image sensor technology with 2-Layer Transistor Pixel, widening Dynamic Range and Reduces Noise by approximately Doubling Saturation Signal Level (since surface area isn't being wasted, because the photo diode pixel transistor are in the same level (so only 50% area is used for the photo diode). Theoretically this should sensor at the same pixel seem much better in detail and dynamic range. The question would be, by how much. 

Because it Theoretically Doubles the Pixel Size via a viz signal strength (actually doubles the pixel area). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, Video Hummus said:

I think this is the way to go. MFT will always kinda suck in lowlight. Would much rather have expanded dynamic range.

I would be very happy with that, although i really like low light performance as well. Unfortunately for my real estate videos I find myself shooting on full frame S1 / S5 at f/4 and ISO 4,000 (second native ISO for V-LOG) at 16mm. So I would need something like an 8mm f/2 lens WITH  lens stabilization in m43 world to get the same field of view and get the ISO down to about 1,000.

Don't think there is an 8mm f/2 with built-in lens stabilization. (Yes, I have a gimbal, but without lens stabilization the IBIS-induced corner warping is horrible, and if I don't have camera stabilization on, I get some horrible micro-jitters).

Need to take these with a grain of salt.  But since the OM-1 is expected to be announced next week, the leaks could be more reliable now and may provide some insight to the GH6 as well.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-possible-o-m1-specs-20mp-120fps-4k60p-10bit-422-and-astrol-tracking/

20mp(yes,IMX472)
120fps 12-bit RAW DCI
4K60P 10-bit 4:2:2
Improved AF tracking
astro tracking

10 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Need to take these with a grain of salt.  But since the OM-1 is expected to be announced next week, the leaks could be more reliable now and may provide some insight to the GH6 as well.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-possible-o-m1-specs-20mp-120fps-4k60p-10bit-422-and-astrol-tracking/

20mp(yes,IMX472)
120fps 12-bit RAW DCI
4K60P 10-bit 4:2:2
Improved AF tracking
astro tracking

Interesting specs.

Sean Robinson and Matt Frazer of Panasonic / Lumix have said that the reason that the S1 / S5 cameras only deliver 4K 60p in 10-bit 4:2:0 (instead of 10-bit 4:2:0) is because computers don't (normally) handle it natively when in h.265 codec, so I guess either the OM-1 will have in in h.264 codec, or the rumors are mistaken, or they expect people will be fine with a performance hit. (alternatively, now maybe enough hardware has native decode of h.265 10-bit 4:2:2???)

I am assuming that 120fps 12-bit RAw has to be 1080p...

What I would really hope for is simplified menu system (compared to me E-M1 MK II) and the ability to shoot all-i no matter whether shooting 24, 23.98, or 29.97fps, and be able to shoot LOG  or flat at any frame rate and 16:9 aspect ratio (instead of having LOG and Flat only available at 24fps DCI)

13 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Improved AF tracking

Define.

Rhetorical question.

I am sure the GH6 would tick every box for me as a video tool for my needs as the GH5 already does and the same goes for my S5 and S1H, other than the above question.

It will be interesting to see if ‘improved AF tracking’ = a switch to PDAF, or whether it’s just another tweak to the DFD system.

I really don’t care what it is or how it works, just that it does.

Having said that, I’m more interested to see what they do with the GH6 AF because that might reveal where they will probably then be going with the next gen S1 line…

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

On M43 rumours there are murmurs of the OM having the 20MP 120fps sensor with 2 stops improvement in low light, and the GH6 apparently slated for a 25MP sensor (for the 5.7k). 

I would definitely take the OM rumors with a big grain of salt.  I would also be surprised if OM goes with a 20mp sensor while Panasonic goes with 25mp.  This is around the time we would get a spec leak from Nokishita but sadly no more.

43 Rumours now has an 'FT5 rated' spec sheet for the OM-1 - the sensor and video format info from it:

Sensor size: 17.4 mm x 13.0 mm (Micro Four Thirds)

Lens mount: Micro Four Thirds Mount

Image sensor type: 4/3 Stacked BSI Live MOS Sensor

Number of pixels: Number of effective pixels: Approx. 20.4 million pixels

Total number of pixels: Approx. 22.9 million pixels

Aspect ratio: 4:3

Video formats:

MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)

4096 x 2160 (C4K): 60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 202Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 102Mbps)

3840 x 2160 (4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 202Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 102Mbps)

1920 x 1080 (FHD):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 52Mbps)30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (Approx. 202Mbps) LongGOP (Approx. 27Mbps)

MOV (HEVC/H.265)

4096 x 2160 (C4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 152Mbps)30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 77Mbps)

3840 x 2160 (4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 152Mbps)30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 77Mbps)

1920 x 1080 (FHD):60p, 50p / ALL-I (Approx. 162Mbps) , LongGOP (Approx. 42Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (Approx. 82Mbps) , LongGOP (Approx. 22Mbps)

I'm a bit concerned that both the Wow! Camera and the GH6 are going to underwhelm us all.

Has either Panasonic or OM solutions had any ground-breaking patents registered lately?

Have they had any major tech acquisitions lately?

I am sure the GH6 is going to be a very nice camera, but when you can buy an S5 used for like $1,500 or new with all sorts of accessories / a lens on sale for around $1,800 then I think it is going to be some tough sledding for the "around $2,500" GH6.

might be interested in one or the other (paired with the Panny 10-25 and 25-50 f1.7's) purely as my indoor/outdoor filming set up...but ONLY if the tracking AF is absolutely on it.

I like Olympus or whatever they call themselves these days (so I suppose I like the old company Olympus) and the spec otherwise meets my needs.

The OM-1 has hybrid AF but the proof will be in testing and the real world whether it's any good as it's essentially the same system that Fuji use I think?

The GH6 though we still have no idea. If it's just tweaked DFD, then the camera is not for me as it's essentially a 6.5k cost less the trade in on the S1H and one, maybe 2 lenses), so 4.5k+ investment.

For similar or only slightly better AF, but trading FF for 4/3rds? Err, no.

I don't have much hope for either really, for me or for anyone else other than a handful of GH4/5 upgraders because in these media hype driven world of "THE AUTOFOCUS SUCKS", I think you'd be mad to release anything in '22 that wasn't at least decent.

But what do I know...

3 hours ago, hoodlum said:

The OM-1 video specs seem underwhelming to even the GH5/G9.

Assuming the leaked specs are accurate, for video the OM-1 is basically a bit ahead of the (4 year old and half the price!) G9, and that's only if the video quality is significantly better than on the EM-1 iii (like 1080p that's worthy of the name, and somewhat sharper 4k UHD). It's got DCI 4k and All-I 1080p support which the G9 doesn't have.

Versus the cheaper GH5 ii it seems well behind on video specs...