kye

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

I an not sure what this 

Ultimate Image Quality + Creativity 

Vs

Mobility + High Speed 

Is supposed to imply. 

Screenshot_20200915-062822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Same thing that they said in the IR interview: telephoto and high frame rates will be the emphasis on m43.

M43 emphasis probably will be high frame rates, 4k120 or 4k240.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/10/2020 at 6:56 AM, Kisaha said:

During this pandemic we had HUGE Canon R5/R6 releases and the almost mythical A7sIII, a camera so late, that stayed a couple of latin numbers behind the rest of their mirrorless. We probably will see V and VI and this sIII will be still there!

Most companies stayed in the plan. Maybe 2-6 months delay, but stayed on course.

Likely companies had already done all the development they could for the R5/R6/a7Smk3 (especially the a7Smk3! Seeing as how it had already been delayed). They could fine tune it a little, but otherwise, why delay it until after the pandemic? (which is when exactly?? 2021??? Possibly. But honestly nobody could even rule out it being 2022....)

Canon and Sony don't want to risk launching their cameras much later into the future, when there might be stiffer competition, and instead of creating a big splash with their launch, these now "outdated" cameras would land with a thud

2 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

But do not expect much more than that. Looks like Panasonic will transform m43 in a niche segment.

I don't mean to start an argument, but everything else you've written about the GH6 has been wrong so far, so maybe it's best to just wait and see before being pessimistic some more? 

43 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't mean to start an argument, but everything else you've written about the GH6 has been wrong so far, so maybe it's best to just wait and see before being pessimistic some more? 

If the GH6 hasn't been released (or even officially announced), how can anyone be wrong or right about the GH6? Genuinely curious. 

21 hours ago, sanveer said:

I an not sure what this 

Ultimate Image Quality + Creativity 

Vs

Mobility + High Speed 

Is supposed to imply. 

Screenshot_20200915-062822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Maybe it's just marketing.

The FF enthusiasts / myopians will look at this and have their confirmation bias renewed and will be left with the impression that Panasonic understands them, sees FF as being the superior sensor size ordained directly by God, and that Panasonic is the brand to get.

The MFT enthusiasts will look at this, be encouraged by the frame-rates and remember the track record of the GH line, and hold their opinions for when we see the IQ.

Then the GH6 can be released and the MFT enthusiasts will see that the IQ is excellent.  The FF myopians won't even look at "toy camera" reviews and will be none the wiser.

....and everyone gets what they want and Panasonic lived happily ever after.

*roll credits*

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean he repeatedly said that he didn't think the GH6 was coming and made that argument quite a bit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fair enough. I guess a lot of us were on the fence, wrt assuming whether the GH6 was coming or not. Panasonic could solely be blamed, due to the deafening silence, and pushing 4 Full Frame models, without a word on the GH6. Now that they have said, categorically, that the GH6 is definitely not abandoned, we should convince ourselves to believe them. Even if Olympus wasn't as believable. 

Maybe the GH6 will usher in the next generation of autofocus, that Panasonic so badly needs. Along with a few other features. 

Whether this info is real or not, depends on how much you trust the site, but this is very bad news (and kind of confirms what I was feeling):

https://www.43rumors.com/will-panasonic-transform-their-mft-product-line-to-focus-on-vloggers/

"I got this from a very reliable source:

• They will change strategy here. MFT will focus on the V-Logging segment. They don’t see a huge market for a GH6 anymore as most people are moving to Full Frame. So the upcoming GH6 may be more a “Pro Grade” G100. It’s more of an upgraded GH5 in a new body with enhanced mobile integration. Or to make it short – a GH6 may not come with the desired specs and the story of the Pro Video MFT will end with the GH5.
  • G9 is now selling well in India. There are discussions about a Mark II which then also the successor of the GH5 with an additional Video Package to buy (similar of what Nikon is doing). But do not expect a “Big Bang” here.
  • The future of MFT is not yet decided – they are very careful because of the Olympus Imaging Carve out happening soon.  And again to mention – Sigma wants them to focus on L-Mount"

Eh, rumors sites need something to post but that would be shitty news indeed. Considering R5 is going to be sold out for awhile and that they are still trying to fix the disaster crippling shenanigans, it’s a good time to wait to see how the market shakes out.

So they release a $1800 10-25 video focused lens with almost no focus breathing and a smooth aperture and are now transition GH line to vlogging? Sounds as confusing as that G100 release. IF true, the value of that lens is going to plummet.

A lot of what Panasonic has done lately has me scratching my head. Release big expensive S1 and S1R only to release S5 (a camera everybody wanted the S1 to be in the first place). Claiming the S1 and S1R are pro cameras but are lackluster compared to competition imho). They better have a good firmware update for the S1 owner or they are going to piss them off royally. S1H is a big video beast with internal fan cooling but doesn’t offer FF 4K60p...LOL.

Then comes the R5 with 4K120p, 8K and yes a horrendous cripple timer (that can be overridden) that seemingly can shoot hours of 8K footage with no problem at all???...all with autofocus in all modes with amazing tracking.

Deary me, I’m sounding like a Canon fanboy already. 

Kinda sad I will be forced to go FF and use huge, expensive, FF glass. Oh well...

And what the hell does mobility and high speed mean for a vlogger who can’t get their camera to focus on their face?

24 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

A lot of what Panasonic has done lately has me scratching my head. Release big expensive S1 and S1R only to release S5 (a camera everybody wanted the S1 to be in the first place). Claiming the S1 and S1R are pro cameras but are lackluster compared to competition imho). They better have a good firmware update for the S1 owner or they are going to piss them off royally. S1H is a big video beast with internal fan cooling but doesn’t offer FF 4K60p...LOL.

I totally second that. If S5 only had full HDMI for a sufficient monitor setup in a indie cinema enviroment, which includes good manual focus pulls.

That way I have a S1 with an additional 200 EUR to pay for 10bit VLOG, still without 10bit 4K60, which the S5 got in S35 mode. So, shelling out 200 EUR to have 10bit plus full HDMI minus 10bit 4k60? Maybe I just sell the S1 and be happy with my FS700 external 10bit 4K60 and HD240p via SDI, full frame with my Speedbooster! For the whole setup I didnt pay more than I paid for the S1 without 10bit.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Eh, rumors sites need something to post but that would be shitty news indeed. Considering R5 is going to be sold out for awhile and that they are still trying to fix the disaster crippling shenanigans, it’s a good time to wait to see how the market shakes out.

Could be, but it is in line with all the last Panasonic "signs":

- When asked about GH6 and MFT, they said "are studying how to make best of format", "evaluating possibilities", and talk about high frame rate and telephoto. Always vague information;
- In another interview, they said that "have the intention in transforming the L-mount in a video standard";

- Then Nikkei published a rumor that Panasonic is planning a "structural reform" on the Lumix business;

- Then Panasonic releases the S5, which looks like a GH5, much more than the rest of the line.

Since everybody looks like that could not do a single shot without a full frame camera that have 3 milimeters of DOF and clean output as ISO 102800, it is kind of a logical path to Panasonic. Since now GH5 "became" a camera with "shitty" image, and probably Sony will not develop a newer sensor, "pros" will not buy a GH6 with the now needed higher price (to cover the development costs  of features to make them "competitive" with the FF ones, plus much less units sold).

Vloggers make sense as a market target for m43: they prefer simpler cameras, portability, IBIS, not much time in grading, and lower costs. Make them with reliable AF, and they could have a winner (Olympus even more indeed - probably the E-M1 MK II and the E-M5 MK II are already the best budget vlogging cameras).

Make one more generation of m43 cameras, sell to vloggers, and after the technology moves ahead, phase out the mount. Since Olympus will target "higher end" and probably fail (after all, no 3mm DOF or ISO 102800, hence is "unusable"), unfortunately (since I have only m43 gear) each day I see more that the days of m43 are numbered, except as a very niche cameras.

17 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Could be, but it is in line with all the last Panasonic "signs":

- When asked about GH6 and MFT, they said "are studying how to make best of format", "evaluating possibilities", and talk about high frame rate and telephoto. Always vague information;
- In another interview, they said that "have the intention in transforming the L-mount in a video standard";

- Then Nikkei published a rumor that Panasonic is planning a "structural reform" on the Lumix business;

- Then Panasonic releases the S5, which looks like a GH5, much more than the rest of the line.

Since everybody looks like that could not do a single shot without a full frame camera that have 3 milimeters of DOF and clean output as ISO 102800, it is kind of a logical path to Panasonic. Since now GH5 "became" a camera with "shitty" image, and probably Sony will not develop a newer sensor, "pros" will not buy a GH6 with the now needed higher price (to cover the development costs  of features to make them "competitive" with the FF ones, plus much less units sold).

Vloggers make sense as a market target for m43: they prefer simpler cameras, portability, IBIS, not much time in grading, and lower costs. Make them with reliable AF, and they could have a winner (Olympus even more indeed - probably the E-M1 MK II and the E-M5 MK II are already the best budget vlogging cameras).

Make one more generation of m43 cameras, sell to vloggers, and after the technology moves ahead, phase out the mount. Since Olympus will target "higher end" and probably fail (after all, no 3mm DOF or ISO 102800, hence is "unusable"), unfortunately (since I have only m43 gear) each day I see more that the days of m43 are numbered, except as a very niche cameras.

oh my...the dark days are coming. at least we do not have a pandemic upon our heads..wait, what?!

🙂 

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-leaked-image-of-the-new-panasonic-mft-cine-camera/

Not a GH6 but this looks and reads like a failed prototype MFT camera that Panasonic was trying but discovered nobody wants.

He claims: This is a product aimed at the pro, not for everyone, but for a few.
He says that there seems to be no one feature he desperately wants to get into this camera.

Sounds to me like it had all the bells an whistles and still people weren’t that interested in a MFT camera. Which kinds lines up with the vague and kinda depressing wording we have been hearing...”exploring options”...”looking at how to maximize”...”GH for vlogging”.

I think with the S5 coming in at lighter and smaller than the GH5 the writing is on the wall for MFT at Panasonic. I shoot like 90% video with my cameras. I’ve been shooting film photography. I would like to stay Panasonic, maybe go L-mount but, as always, the AF is still far behind for the prices they want. Canon beat them to internal NDs in a mirrorless mount with DCI 4K, amazing AF, great dynamic range, and up-tier features like XLR, and internal multichannel audio on board. C70 is very hard to ignore for me, even with its weird S35 sensor RF combo.

As a person without EF or RF glass it makes it hard to decide what lenses to buy for it!

I’m 90% convinced that going C70 is the better decision. It’s a bit big, doesn’t have the lovely MFT glass, but ticks all the other boxes for me. It’s small enough with internal NDs and a good sensor. Things to think about.

2 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Thats a Zcam F6. Says so on the back! But the original picture looked like a boxy zcam type prototype camera taken with a 2009 cellphone camera.

It was similar. Better design, but similar in some ways. Maybe closer to the Canon 70