Panasonic GH6

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, Thpriest said:

What I like about Panasonic is that their whole line up seems to work together, from the GX85 through the GH5, S1 upto the EVA1. I never had that with Canon. 

Except the EVA1 is the odd one out.... with a completely different mount to all those other Panasonics!

Panasonic should have released an EVA1 MFT

9 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

So were the hell is GH6? We dont have even any basic rumor. What takes them so long? Is it due to the new sensor delay or their FF lineup? Come on Panasonic, now is the time. Sony is lagging behind with their elusive A7S3 and nobody else has anything with 10 bit 4k60 and IBIS. Bring it on already! 

I'm guessing we'll start seeing information start to trickle out in February or so, assuming they announce the GH6 in the spring like I suspect.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Except the EVA1 is the odd one out.... with a completely different mount to all those other Panasonics!

Panasonic should have released an EVA1 MFT

If the EVA1 had an MFT mount it would be on my radar, especially as prices continue to drop. 

That said in terms of the GH6, I am sure it will be here soon, probably mid 2020 I'd wager. 

After getting a GH5 again and realizing how much I like it all I'd need to get a GH6 would be the following. 

Clean 6400 iso (aka GH5S sensor)

IBIS

10 bit 4k 60p 

icing on the cake would be 
prores, PDAF, 4K 120fps, RAW out via USB-C, full Vlog

I think they have an incredible high bar to meet so they are taking their time.

The GH series cameras from the beginning are all about pushing the limits.

I don’t need HFR 4K. I want practical features. Improved IBIS, recording to SSD via USB-C, USB-C power delivery, better DR, internal ND, improved weather sealing.

A GH6 with these features and the 10-25 f/1.7 or a speedbooster with a vintage lens would be an absolute beast. An internal ND + speedbooster would be very compelling for even FF zealots.

Removing the shutter, and replacing it with some kind of ND unit would be the single best thing they could do!

Sensor readout speeds on MFT are really good. Just have electronic shutter for GH6 and the future photo-centric G9/G10/G11 or whatever can keep the shutter.

AF, eh, I’m fairly happy now. Would I like PDAF? Yes, of course but I’ll take next gen DfD too if I get an internal Nd solution.

Please don’t repeat another GH6S debacle. I would say they would do better to minaturise the EVA1 to fill the role of any potential GH6S.

4 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Just give us the GH5S sensor with IBIS and PDAF and we are happy 😋

That's not enough to efficiently compete with the rest of the market. They need some other breakthrough features like build-in nd (#1 priority), improved IBIS, 4K120P, faster wifi for better image transmission, etc. 

I think they already have a really great target to hit...The S1H.

Just delivery a MFT little brother to the S1H.

Mainly:

1. 5.9K 16:9 video with their lovely internal codecs

2. Full Vlog

3. 13.5 -14 stops of dynamic range

4. Dual gain sensor ISO 640 / 3000

5. The EVF and tilty and flippy screen.

6. No crop 4K60/96/120p unlike the S1H.

7. Of course the excellent MFT IBIS.

Lastly, If they can deliver some kind of ND solution they’ll have hit it out of the park and into the parking lot smashing Sonys windshield 

Internal RAW is great, but it seems the 10-bit 4:2:2 codec Panasonic has been iterating on is quite impressive. Good enough for Netflix. Hold up to normal grading with stellar results.

I’ve come around on 6K. I think it’s the perfect middle ground between the massive overhead of 8K and offering flexibility in post and a truly crispy excellent 4K deliverable (4K is just now catching on for online video).

I think delivering a no compromises S1H in MFT form factor is very doable.

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I just wish it were smaller, lighter, and ergonomically less bricky.

Yeah, it certainly looks chunky!

I suspect that there are limitations to how small a body can be if it's got a larger sensor in it like the S1H does, but the MFT form factor works pretty well with the combination of a body that's got nice ergonomics but isn't too heavy.

33 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah tho I actually don't like flippy screens anymore, unless I need to record myself which I rarely do these days. Its way easier to tilt than have to flip the darn screen out. Plus it gets in the way on gimbals. 

I think Panasonic screwed up by not including the flip screen and 240fps when the GH5S had these.

47 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah tho I actually don't like flippy screens anymore, unless I need to record myself which I rarely do these days. Its way easier to tilt than have to flip the darn screen out. Plus it gets in the way on gimbals. 

I really hope they give us the tilt + flip in the next MFT camera. Sometimes I just want a tilt screen as well. 

• Andrew Reid unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else noticing an uptick in GH5 discount sale prices recently? As I write this B&H currently has 39 different offerings on GH5 kits/bundles and Adorama is weighing in at 40, each offering savings at-minimum of $700 USD. Perhaps clearing inventory for a new release, or am I reading too much into this?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Anyone else noticing an uptick in GH5 discount sale prices recently? As I write this B&H currently has 39 different offerings on GH5 kits/bundles and Adorama is weighing in at 40, each offering savings at-minimum of $700 USD. Perhaps clearing inventory for a new release, or am I reading too much into this?

I don't think you're reading too much into it. I'd expect an announcement in the next couple months.