Panasonic GH6

kye

53 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah it could be a nice camera for S16 lenses. Seems to have the best DR of M43 cameras. I do prefer when you can use the whole sensor though. A 6k or native 4k S16 camera would be neat. Pretty niche though.

i mean thats basically an ursa 12k, but yeah its not m43. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's another video with test footage that isn't all slow-motion...

7 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Never mind, Gerald Undone reiterates base of 250 in regular VLog

So, if CineD tested at ISO800 and 250 is the native ISO, it'll have more DR than their test found?

Even better!

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah it could be a nice camera for S16 lenses. Seems to have the best DR of M43 cameras. I do prefer when you can use the whole sensor though. A 6k or native 4k S16 camera would be neat. Pretty niche though.

The color on the GH6 looks superior to previous GH cameras and maybe even superior to the S1 series. It doesn't retain highlights as well as the S1 but the shadows look a lot better potentially. The internal prores and fast RS make it a big want for me. Maybe I can sell my S1 and get it haha.

What would the difference be of having a 4K S16 sensor camera, or a 6K MFT sensor camera that you can set to by 4K 1:1 crop?

Assuming the codecs and features were all the same of course.

No battery grip...!? This is the first time...thanks Panasonic  great 😏

USBC for 800 Mbps and more but how long time?!?
I think that the GH6 will be not a substitute for the P4K   yes  (it will take some market share )...  but he have the same issues ...no ?

Ok ...Carte CFexpress AV PRO MK2 4To.... 2000 € 😭

I think the GH6 is a camera too late. Most people have moved on from M4/3. I guess if you are big into Anamorphic I can see buying it but ProRes and Raw, all of that is already in a lot of FF stuff now.

And hardly anyone uses big long lenses for video work. Mostly wide angle stuff. So that is off the table.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Video Hummus said:

Also, in the official Lumix launch video Matt was talking about in the USA they will be offering free CFExpress Cards with preorders. He was very specific about telling people that the cards will support all recording formats (so it isn't some cheap card) and all FUTURE recording formats that are coming and he was hinting that there was more to come. He also misspoke about being able to shoot ProRes RAW and then caught himself.

I honestly think this camera is going to get Internal ProRes RAW recording in firmware update down the line.

The fact that a future update is coming that let's you record to an SSD out of the usb-c port is HUGE for me. I was really hoping for that. I'm also wondering if BRAW will end up being available,since they have those updated for the GH5s and the S line (even those it's to the BM Recorder). I don't really care about Prores that much being on a PC

I thought these were interesting to see as well, pretty impressive

Screenshot_20220223-113752.png

Screenshot_20220223-113816.png

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think the GH6 is a camera too late. Most people have moved on from M4/3. I guess if you are big into Anamorphic I can see buying it but ProRes and Raw, all of that is already in a lot of FF stuff now.

And hardly anyone uses big long lenses for video work. Mostly wide angle stuff. So that is off the table.

There is only some truth to this Mr Runner, and I respectfully make my case. 

I have yet to watch a singular spectacular movie or short film or documentary and then thought to myself, that is so good because of the sensor size. And I'm certain not a singular typical nontechnical layman movie goer has ever thought that either. I do realize that as technicians, we may make decisions based on the tech, but I propose that the size of the sensor is far less important than we often make it.

Consider that all of the best movies we've ever seen were shot with s35 (with a few admitted outliers). Consider that many great pieces have been shot on s16. M4/3 is already larger than s16, and speed boosted is at least similar/same as s35. I personally consider the sensor size one of the features of m4/3. The horizon of lenses that are open to me at m4/3 is unequivocal at any larger sensor size, including factors such as physical size, focal range, and anamorphics.

I concede that there are definitely other factors where sensor size does in fact play a critical role, but if we were genuinely honest with ourselves, it is not nearly as often as we pretend.

Where the GH6 is once again a failure is autofocus. This is not to say that it's autofocus is bad, because it isn't. But it is not good enough. I would actually propose that this issue is also a bit more trivial than we make it, but because of it's inability to lock rock steady and hold, it will be a pass for many, and I'm afraid too many.

If there ever is an official death of m4/3, I suppose it will be blamed on sensor size, when in reality it is because the GH-frickin-6 didn't nail autofocus.

Make no mistake, I may still buy one. For me, the advantages are far too great to overlook. And quite honestly, even it's current autofocus design will work near flawlessly for roughly all of my purposes. 

But cheesy crust, Panasonic please figure out a firmware solution that ends this issue, or I'll be one of far too few buying your dinosaur gone extinct for none of the suspected reasons. 

Color Science was the main reason I got rid of my GH5. And I think that is the weakest link to the average person is editing and color correction. So why have to color grade every damn inch of footage you shoot. Nah not me. 

Plus we can get into the DOF thing, no equivalent fast lenses, poor high ISO's,  crap AF, sure a SB solves some of that, but the extra glass degrades the image on and on. I am not even into s35 anymore. FF or go home. Even my OG BMPCC is a pain in the ass with a 2.88 crop. All that crop stuff gets old. SB, Focal Reducers ehh enough. And the GH6 is pretty huge to boot. I don't see it sorry.

46 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Color Science was the main reason I got rid of my GH5. And I think that is the weakest link to the average person is editing and color correction. So why have to color grade every damn inch of footage you shoot. Nah not me. 

Plus we can get into the DOF thing, no equivalent fast lenses, poor high ISO's,  crap AF, sure a SB solves some of that, but the extra glass degrades the image on and on. I am not even into s35 anymore. FF or go home. Even my OG BMPCC is a pain in the ass with a 2.88 crop. All that crop stuff gets old. SB, Focal Reducers ehh enough. And the GH6 is pretty huge to boot. I don't see it sorry.

2.8 crop is excessive unless you are shooting with S16 lenses. Practically super thin DOF is only doable with auto focus unless you are doing static shots or have a really good focus puller. I've found I rarely stop down below 2.8 with S35 as its hard to get focus. 2.8 or 1.8 on full frame is ridiculous.

As a B cam something getting a longer DOF is nice. For wider shots is nice to have as much DOF as possible but for close ups you already have plenty even at f5.6-8 in most situations.

I think the is a niche camera but its interesting to me which wasn't really expected.
My issue with the S1 is not so great rolling shutter and lacking in the shadows. I like evenly balanced dynamic range in the shadows and highlights.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There's a huge difference between Prores RAW and Prores, and it's a big one for me, who shoots at a lower resolution than the sensor for smaller files but still getting the benefits of downsampling in-camera.

In terms of sensor size, it depends on your lenses.  FF really sucks if all you own is S16 or MFT glass, and if you own S35 glass and can mount it and shoot in crop-mode then sure, but you're losing the benefit of the FF sensor and could just have a S35 sensor.

Shallow DoF is nice, and MFT can definitely do it with the right lenses, of course acknowledging that FF definitely does it more easily than MFT....  BUT, shallow DoF is far less common in films than is often talked about.  The average shot in most films will push the background out of focus a bit to give nice separation, but it won't be a big blur unless it's a long lens, which makes getting more blur easier on any format.

The workhorses of the S35 cinema world are f2.8 lenses, which require an f1.4 equivalent on MFT to get the same DoF, but ironically the proliferation of cheap Chinese FF f1.4 lenses has meant that it's easier than ever to shoot on MFT with super-fast lenses.

I think that the specs game is like any other social media bubble where once you're in it everyone seems to be talking about it and you lose perspective.  I've been concentrating on editing more recently as that's my overall weakness as a film-maker, and the more I look at editing the more I think I could shoot really great travel films with a half-decent P&S.  The things that make the award winning shows great is the overall content and storytelling and sound design etc.  If DoF was really the defining feature then Army of the Dead would be an Oscar Winner, but actually, no.....

https://ymcinema.com/2021/05/28/zack-snyder-shot-the-entire-army-of-the-dead-on-wide-open-aperture-f0-95/

CineD botched the dynamic range testing on the GH6. They measured the GH6 in non boost mode at 800 iso when the native is 250 iso.

The GH6 even in non boost DR mode has more dynamic range than both the GH5S and the GH5.

Cined really needs to get their act together. They are currently claiming the dynamic range in non boost mode is the worst of any modern M43 camera. Kind of a turn off for people who want to use 4k 120p. WTF

The GH6 looks better then the competition in the shadows. The S1 takes the cake for highlights. I love highlight retention I just like having an even balance of highlight to shadow detail.

Also when talking highlight detail the RED Komodo, which is seeing a ton of use on all levels of production, actually only has a little over 4 stops. So the GH6 isn't doing bad at all.