Panasonic GH6

kye

22 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

It is however kinda like comparing a compact suped up Hatchback to a sports car. Sure, it won't be as fast and have a bigger engine but people still really enjoy driving the hatchback for many reasons and thats the entire fucking point!

90 minutes of applauses!

I just don't understand why it is assumed that EVERYONE aspires to have a FF camera. And that therefore those who don't have a FF camera must necessarily suffer from the small penis syndrome. It's just the premise that is wrong.

In my own small way (deep technical diving), I wouldn't think of taking an FF camera on a dive, which, with its housing and porthole, is as big as a washing machine. The M43 is the perfect compromise of quality and size.
For decades sports photographers have used APSC cameras because it was the right tool for the job.
And for eons cinematography has been Super 35mm.
Now legions of youtubers have decided that if you don't have an FF camera you're a loser. Then of course I respect all those who need a FF sensor for their work but they should stop explaining me what I need...

Regarding Gerald, if you're a Youtuber for a living you play by the rules of your job and shut up just like all the other workers who clock in in the morning.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Why? It has hardware in it to do ProRes encoding. Not that much of a stretch to think ProRes RAW is in there too.

because it's pretty obvious that red, apple and atomos all have a deal going where red allows the capture of so-called raw data in a codec by apple, but only on external recorders. this is where apple and atomos have reached a deal where atomos get exclusive rights to record said codec on their recorder, along with what i assume are some other stipulations. since atomos is founded by former disgruntled bmd employees, i assume that has something to do with why Resolve is the only NLE where you cant work with prores raw files. even though it was probably in apple's best interest to allow the most popular color correction software to be compatible with that format, but now effectively rendering it a slightly more efficient prores 444 equivalent that has to be transcoded first. but from what i've heard is that the metadata support for pr raw was more or less non-existent in the first place, which makes it kind of a silly 'raw' codec to begin with.

that short looks pretty good, couldve maybe even been a good piece of art if they got rid of 65% of the slowmo shots and let the film speak for itself. i think thats a more convincing way to sell something at least.

anyway the camera seems decent, but i'm not going to 'upgrade' from my p4k. 

i will also agree on mft being great. it's slightly smaller than 3 perf academy 35 film, and quite a lot bigger than super 16. you can get a set of optically great cine mft lenses for the price of one ff cine lens or one of those stupid sony ff photo zooms where you can't repeatedly and reliably perform the same rack focus. you can open up most of your lenses to f2 and not have everything turn to complete mush. don't get me wrong, i love a wide shot with a shallow dof which is a lot easier on a ff camera, but theres more important aspects to moving images. 

^also that's called CMOS smear superka, and is prevalent in somewhat every cmos sensor

I honestly wish M43 cameras had more cropped sensors so you could use S16 lenses easier. Give me a 3x crop lol.

The GH6 does look attractive as a B-cam. 4 stops in the highlights is reasonable. The S1 can handle about 5 stops in the highlights, though the shadow retention looks superior on the GH6. How the shadows perform is very important to me. With lower end cameras you seem to be either trading off ugly shadows or ugly highlights. The GH6 might be an ok balance of the two.

2000 iso doesn't bother me. I actually like being able to stop down on lenses rather than going wide open all the time. I also prefer one native ISO to dual. I find I like the sensor performance from single native ISO cameras better.

Internal prores and low rolling shutter make it something I am interested in for sure.

3 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

3. Sure, his “is dead” statement is clickbaity, but heck, he laments even having to drop a video at embargo lift. He knows what he’s doing, it’s just how it has to be done to a certain extent, and most importantly, if you pay attention to his justification for personally declaring that, HE’S RIGHT.

It really doesn't have to be done that way. When you're worried about releasing your video the second the embargo is lifted more than putting out an informative/better video, that's a problem. Others released this morning and afternoon, like Dan Watson. I've defended Gerald a lot here, so I'm not just a hater or just bashing him because it's the cool thing to do.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I honestly think this camera is going to get Internal ProRes RAW recording in firmware update down the line.

I've wondered about that, and also whether that might be something they can do over USB-C. The processor is obviously very powerful, so it makes me wonder if they plan to further maximize its usage over time.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I honestly think the tone of the video was very weird. He was lamenting that a MFT camera wasn't a FF camera. He wasn't excited at all that a MFT camera could keep up with FF. He didn't even touch on the subject of what this kind of tech in a FF Panasonic camera could do. It was just this odd, apparently painful, review of a product. Why didn't he just objectively review it like all his other product reviews?

Yeah, I mean if you're that disinterested and dismissive maybe just don't review it at all? How did the Northrups give it a fairer shake, when they've been proclaiming M43 is dead for months, than Gerald?! They compared it favorably to the Canon R6 and are considering switching to it over the R6. 

There really are so many tiny things they got right that make this such an ideal camera. And the AF looks much improved. I still think it hurts the GH6's chances of gaining wide acceptance in a market that has declared continuous auto focus in video is one of the most important features.

Is it impossible to do DfD without the pulsing back and forth? Because even if they could just eliminate that, they'd go a LONG way with their critics when it comes to AF.

4 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

guess that ISO invariance apply to RAW files, not compressed video (but I could be wrong).

Its design of the circuit running the sensor, being raw or video. However for heat and power concerns, they use a lower precision readout for video. The problem with that lower precision is there will be more noise in deep shadows. So you save highlights with isoless characteristic, but overall DR will be less than the sensor max potential.

In other words, Nikon/Sony/Canon don't need to use the technique Panasonic used here. They just need to increase the readout precision. 

Interesting answer on the autofocus question by Panasonic's Matt Frazer. So if they choose better dynamic range and image quality over phase detect autofocus as he says. Will they do the same choice with a potential S2H, that has good dynamic range already?

At 20.19 he talks about the autofocus choice they made.

5 minutes ago, Roger said:

he talks about the autofocus choice they made.

I think he's being political here. He doesn't explicitly say that it was an either/or choice. He seems to be saying something like "We did all these great things, and also we weren't able to do PDAF, but let's focus on what we did do. Next question please lol!"

On 2/19/2022 at 1:41 AM, billdoubleu said:

Here we are in 2022 and there is a growing list of RAW/ RAW(ish) codecs that didn't exist five years ago. ProresRAW, BlackmagicRAW, TICO-RAW are innovations sprung from the limitations imposed by RED's patents. These are all available internally in one or more cameras. Along with uncompressed RAW in the Sigma fp. So, while Prores is a welcome addition, no one should be impressed by it. Panasonic should either have developed a RAW technology by now or be licencing one.

It was inevitable, I think, for Panasonic to be the first major manufacturer to offer internal ProRes, but you're right, it should've happened sooner. it doesn't mean it's any less impressive. I don't know the exact numbers, but I believe at least 75% of Hollywood productions are shot in ProRes. Sure some BM cameras have included it for years, at this or a lower price point, but not with 7+ stops of IBIS.

With that said, like with raw video, 90% of the members of this site, do not need ProRes.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:31 AM, Django said:

Its great GH6 has ProRes but its basically to be expected. I also think they should have RAW internal by now.

And that has been my point all along. The manufacturers spent a ton of time and money pushing resolution in lieu of features that will push IQ.

Look at the "The Storm" video from the GH6. By all accounts it looks great, but the 24p ProRes footage looks way better than the slow motion.

4 hours ago, Superka said:

About the streaks on Panasonic GH6. My Sony a7c has the same. Fuji X-T3, 4 also does.

Why Gerals never told about it on those cameras?

Selective bias.

Also, I hope Panasonic release a chart like Blackmagic does for the Shadows and Highlights for the 4k and 6k cameras, helping understand where almost perfect exposure would lay (is allocated) apart from the histogram, across ISOs (especially for extended ISO). 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Is it impossible to do DfD without the pulsing back and forth? Because even if they could just eliminate that, they'd go a LONG way with their critics when it comes to AF.

By definition Depth from Defocus (DfD) achieves focus by this pulsing of focus. I’m not sure you can completely eliminate it…except for…you know…using phase detection instead.

45 minutes ago, Roger said:

Interesting answer on the autofocus question by Panasonic's Matt Frazer.

Matt also had good answers on the livestream about how the fan is engineered. The fan doesn’t have a traditional motor and drive shaft but instead uses magnets to spin the fan from inside the case without any connection. Pretty neat.