Panasonic GH6

kye

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Between the previous VLog L and the Full VLog. It's apparently increased Dynamic Range by 1 stop, which is what everyone was saying the GH5s' sensor is capable of. 13 Stops. 

The autofocus also seems to have something different from DFD (which I am guessing has some sort of ToF/Laser autofocus module to circumvent the Sony Imaging's Monopoly).

HDMI is full sized, and it has fast enough Type-C usb. 

Looking pretty impressive, if you ask me. Autofocus, ergonomics and price seem to be the questions left, for now. 

Did not see anythong different in AF. "Dedicated lens control" probably is because is supports a LANC control, and "Deep Learning" is a fancy name for subject recognition.

Bet it is still DFD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Between the previous VLog L and the Full VLog. It's apparently increased Dynamic Range by 1 stop, which is what everyone was saying the GH5s' sensor is capable of. 13 Stops. 

Yes, I reckon this is the GH5S sensor being reused inside a 2nd camera body. 

Glad to see SDI and TC BNC!

Pity it is only 420 internal??

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

XLR by adapter only?

At least Panasonic is being smart about it, and making it be compatible with their existing Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR Microphone Adapter.

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

True. They figured, until Sony agrees to make them another sensor (IF it is being designed), they could squeeze a little.mote juice out of the GH5s sensor, and sell without investing a farthing more on sensor design. In many ways, it's great, especially since the sensor is pretty capable.

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

At least Panasonic is being smart about it, and making it be compatible with their existing Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR Microphone Adapter.

Yes. Panasonic will try and focus only on sales. They could probably sell everything they can. They'll probably throw in discounts on ACs and washing machines, with new Panasonic ILCs. I don't even mind. I would rather they do this, than go down like Olympus. 

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Glad to see SDI and TC BNC!

Pity it is only 420 internal??

That adapter is 350-400€, and just 4-2-0 internal leaves it as a specialized streaming camera. No ND also?

Why not make a C70 competitor, with everything, plus those streaming capabilities?

How many different camera bodies do they think they will sell? Hybrid, boxy streaming one, dedicated video? They are over-reaching and divide and alienate their funbase further.

I am not sure about all these.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Why not make a C70 competitor, with everything, plus those streaming capabilities?

Because they want to keep the price low and target a large audience in need of quality webcam, remote video, streaming, live event.
If you look at the specs with a GH6 replacement in mind it's confusing. But as a new product to cover Covid19 streaming demand, it could be a "smart" product. A GH5s sensor in a box to keep R&D low and that's it !!!
Target is not C70 or Komodo users.

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

True. They figured, until Sony agrees to make them another sensor (IF it is being designed), they could squeeze a little.mote juice out of the GH5s sensor, and sell without investing a farthing more on sensor design. In many ways, it's great, especially since the sensor is pretty capable.

It is good to reuse a sensor, get the most value out of it. 
Has there been any Panasonic MFT sensor which hasn't been used more than once?
Plus like you said, the GH5S is quite a capable sensor! Is worth reusing it. 

3 hours ago, Wronzoff said:

Because they want to keep the price low and target a large audience in need of quality webcam, remote video, streaming, live event.
If you look at the specs with a GH6 replacement in mind it's confusing. But as a new product to cover Covid19 streaming demand, it could be a "smart" product. A GH5s sensor in a box to keep R&D low and that's it !!!

I know what they did. I am just saying it is wrong, and all these different bodies will back fire to them, except its 999$, which in that case I may buy one!

12 hours ago, sanveer said:

Hahaha. I hope you're wrong. Though Panasonic seems to have tattooed DFD into their hearts and brains. It appears they don't wanna move away from it, anytime soon.

They'll likely stick with DFD, and while it is painful now, it is the future.

PDAF and DPAF are mechanisms that tell the camera which direction and how far to go to get an object in focus, but not which object to focus on.  DFD will eventually get those things right, but will also know how to choose which object to focus on.

I see so many videos with shots where the wrong object is perfectly in focus, which is still a complete failure.  This is from the latest Canon and Sony cameras.

Good AF is still a fiction being peddled by fanboys/fangirls and bought and paid for ambassadors.

11 hours ago, Wronzoff said:

Totally agree - as a GH5 user I'm not interested in a modular-style cinema camera.  and if I was, then I'd pick up my BMMCC and use that, with the internal Prores and uncompressed cDNG RAW.

6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I feel like the team that brought us all the good stuff in M43 has been moved to the full frame side and M43 has been handed off to a bunch of newbies. Nothing they've done lately has made sense. 

Who asked for this camera? I mean, really?

It might sell well.  The budget end of the modular cine-camera market is starting to heat up, as people get used to things like external monitors (for example to get Prores RAW) and external storage (like SSDs on the P4K/P6K) and external power (to keep the P4K/P6K shooting for more than 45 minutes), then modularity won't be as unfamiliar as it used to be.

Everything being equal, making a camera that doesn't have to have an LCD screen (or two if it has a viewfinder) should make the same product cheaper to manufacture.

50 minutes ago, kye said:

They'll likely stick with DFD, and while it is painful now, it is the future.

PDAF and DPAF are mechanisms that tell the camera which direction and how far to go to get an object in focus, but not which object to focus on.  DFD will eventually get those things right, but will also know how to choose which object to focus on.

I see so many videos with shots where the wrong object is perfectly in focus, which is still a complete failure.  This is from the latest Canon and Sony cameras.

Good AF is still a fiction being peddled by fanboys/fangirls and bought and paid for ambassadors.

Bingo! That's one of the best rebuttals on the topic of AF I've read in a while. 

The truth is somewhere in between and I do not see Panasonic succeeding as much.

Panasonic had the SAME market share with Fuji last year, 4%, that is a huge disappointment for Pana with the dozens of products and a huge win for Fuji that started as a niche hipster manufacturer, and Nikon mirrorless apologizer (a lot of Nikon users had X cameras as smaller/backup ones).

Seemingly, with a few right moves, a dedicated video camera first and foremost, better video implementation and some video orientated lenses and upgrade of older designs, Fuji will surprass Panasonic, just like that and without too much fanfare.

if they also bring medium format to the masses, then that's it, they are going uphill.

where Panasonic goes, I wonder? Will they sell 100.000 streaming cameras to make it a success? Plus, 150.000 more S cameras? And 150.000 more m43? And how many Varicam or EVA?

Of course we have to see the official release, but if the pricr is NOT right, this camera will be another recent failure like the newest LX cameras and the v-blogging one, and maybe, even the S releases.

Damn, I think this is another G100 blunder. I don’t know how well that camera has sold but I can’t imagine it’s been very competitive against M50 and other cameras for beginners.

Its a GH5S in a different body and a minimal spec boost, but it still falls short compared to Z-Cam and Kinefinity Terra 4K with the so far rumored specs.

Is this Panasonic trying to find new opportunities in a low cost rehash of a GH5S that didn’t sell well to begin with?

It just seems unusually off-the-mark for Panasonic.

We can only speculated how badly Sony has them by the balls when it comes to autofocus AND sensor design and availability.

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The truth is somewhere in between and I do not see Panasonic succeeding as much.

Panasonic had the SAME market share with Fuji last year, 4%, that is a huge disappointment for Pana with the dozens of products and a huge win for Fuji that started as a niche hipster manufacturer, and Nikon mirrorless apologizer (a lot of Nikon users had X cameras as smaller/backup ones).

Seemingly, with a few right moves, a dedicated video camera first and foremost, better video implementation and some video orientated lenses and upgrade of older designs, Fuji will surprass Panasonic, just like that and without too much fanfare.

if they also bring medium format to the masses, then that's it, they are going uphill.

where Panasonic goes, I wonder? Will they sell 100.000 streaming cameras to make it a success? Plus, 150.000 more S cameras? And 150.000 more m43? And how many Varicam or EVA?

Of course we have to see the official release, but if the pricr is NOT right, this camera will be another recent failure like the newest LX cameras and the v-blogging one, and maybe, even the S releases.

We pure videographers are a small minority. Panasonic had the opportunity with the GH2, G7, GX85 (even with the missing mic jack), G85, GH5, G9 etc. I felt its marketing wasn't right. And in many markets, its distribution too. There is nothing wrong with M43 as a system or its cameras. Except a few oversized cameras, prices seeming high especially after the A7ii release, lack of 14-bit RAW photos, and user perception issues. Panasonic could have easily addressed these. It still can.

The new GH5s' based sensor camera looks pretty niche. Mostly for broadcast at a good price. Maybe even Indie Filmmaking, where the extra 1 stop of dynamic range of Full Frame isn't required. 

• 4 months later...

It appears Sony has a new M43 sensor that is 30+MP and is capable of 8K. 43Rumors lists it as an FT5 on their scale:

"At the beginning of November I got solid info that Sony will launch one new MFT sensor in 2021. I now got the confirmation this sensor will be able to record 8K video and have a 30+MP resolution. Now I have little doubt this is the sensor that Panasonic will use on the GH6."

I really hope it's not just a GH5 with 8K, which I won't need for years and years. It's gonna be hard to get me to upgrade right away no matter what they release but just the ability to do 8K or even 4K 120p isn't going to be enough. For me this release is as much about figuring out if M43 is worth sticking with for at least the next 5 years or if I should plan to move to Sony or Fuji sooner rather than later. As much as I love what I've seen from their full frame cameras, I am very worried about Panasonic long term if they are going to remain behind on things like AF even if I really don't need those features myself. Regardless of what I want or need, the market has spoken and you need to meet their expectations if you plan to stick around.