Panasonic GH6

kye

3 minutes ago, kye said:

I remember a wedding photographer talking about taking group photos once, and how it is critical to get everyone on focus in a group shot, which if it's a large group of people can be tricky as the people at the edges are a different distance away.

Yeah, and this is exactly my point.  If you are Christopher Nolan and have as many shoot days as necessary to block and frame your shots for an I-Max camera, more power to you.  But with shrinking budgets and shoot days, I don't understand why anyone would want to complicate their life by going for a "full frame look" when what they should probably be really concentrating on is just getting their project "in the can" as efficiently as possible.

But I know I'm not changing any minds here ranting on the GH6 rumors thread.  You guys already get it!  🤣

I just hope Panasonic does.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, dgvro said:

If these are your criteria and you're a bit flexible on IBIS, surely the XT4 is already perfect? I felt the same way as you, I was (and am) really hung up on wanting the small rangefinder form factor, plus really strong video codecs, plus I.S. and so I switched directly from GH5+GX9 to just an XT4

I've thought about trying one of the Fuji XT series cameras several times, but it's the retro control dial setup, plus the stills/video switching (no video record button...) that puts me off. I also own an LX100 and while it's a great stills camera, I find it's similar control dial setup annoying.

As someone who swaps moment-to-moment between stills and video a lot, it's hard to beat the simplicity on a Panasonic m43 camera of enabling 'flicker reduction' to fix the video shutter speed, putting the mode dial on 'P' and then pressing the shutter button to take stills or the record button to shoot video - no dials to move or switches to flick, so less chance of 'missing the moment' because the camera is in the wrong mode...

This gives us an idea of what to look forward to with the GH6.  The BGH1 is a lot actually smaller and lighter than the GH5.

https://photorumors.com/2020/09/30/panasonic-dc-bgh1-mft-camera-specifications-leaked-10mp-c4k60p/

DC-BGH1
10.28 MP sensor
Micro Four Thirds mount
C4K60P 4:2:2 10-bit RAW video (HDMI output), C4K60P 4:2:0 10-bit (H.265 / HEVC) internal recording
Dual native ISO
Double SD card slot
Wi-Fi / Bluetooth
11800mAh VBR battery compatible
Dimensions: 93 x 93 x 78mm
Weight: 545g

10 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

This gives us an idea of what to look forward to with the GH6.  The BGH1 is a lot actually smaller and lighter than the GH5.

https://photorumors.com/2020/09/30/panasonic-dc-bgh1-mft-camera-specifications-leaked-10mp-c4k60p/

DC-BGH1
10.28 MP sensor
Micro Four Thirds mount
C4K60P 4:2:2 10-bit RAW video (HDMI output), C4K60P 4:2:0 10-bit (H.265 / HEVC) internal recording
Dual native ISO
Double SD card slot
Wi-Fi / Bluetooth
11800mAh VBR battery compatible
Dimensions: 93 x 93 x 78mm
Weight: 545g

The competitor to Z-cam?

Actually the GH5s had issues because Panasonic couldn't push the full VLog on it, it's highest VFR wasn't exploited, and a few other compromises. The issues is not so much with the sensors as with how it's being programmed (and what levels the dual gain is also set at, among a host of other things).

Also, the BMPCC 4k and 6k are within 0.2 stops of each other, in terms of base Dynamic Range, and the 4k has much better Dynamic Range at higher ISOs. If this sensor is programmed and wired properly, it should theoretically outperform the Pocket 4k, which is very impressive, to say the least.

Let's hope Panasonic don't even think of VLog L. Or some other rubbish. Also, we should, hopefully get 4k at atleast 120fps (240fps, if possible), and the 2nd ISO should be set at $6400, so that it can be pushed for even better low light. Would actually love dual Canon and Alexa's dual gain, but it may be too late to incorporate it into the ADC. 

Just now, sanveer said:

Actually the GH5s had issues because Panasonic couldn't push the full VLog on it, it's highest VFR wasn't exploited, and a few other compromises. The issues is not so much with the sensors as with how it's being programmed (and what levels the dual gain is also set at, among a host of other things).

Also, the BMPCC 4k and 6k are within 0.2 stops of each other, in terms of base Dynamic Range, and the 4k has much better Dynamic Range at higher ISOs. If this sensor is programmed and wired properly, it should theoretically outperform the Pocket 4k, which is very impressive, to say the least.

Let's hope Panasonic don't even think of VLog L. Or some other rubbish. Also, we should, hopefully get 4k at atleast 120fps (240fps, if possible), and the 2nd ISO should be set at $6400, so that it can be pushed for even better low light. Would actually love dual Canon and Alexa's dual gain, but it may be too late to incorporate it into the ADC. 

I noticed its limited to 4k 60p. That's a bit of a bummer. 

This could be interesting.

It probably tries to steal sales from P4K and Z cameras, but we have to see the whole unit, maybe it is just another failed Panasonic half-right experiment with the GH5S sensor.

External raw means nothing to me. Either have it internal, or not at all. Sorry, that's what I think. 4-2-0 internal?

4K/60p is just right for me, I have used 120 frames a couple of times the last 5 years, and I used to do high speed clips for TV ads at one point (specialized cameras of course).

Timecode and audio I/O will be very important for this cam. ND?

It seems like a very low cost version of an GH5S, I just wished for a XC or C70 design, that would be perfect, the boxy thing has some limitations.

I would like to see a specialized m43 video cam competing against the C70 for half the price. That would be my market, and I can live with. I am expecting the usual Panasonic AF crap.

Too many unknowns for now. To be Continued..

9 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Remember that you can Z-cam with 4k160, RAW and WDR for 1500$, so Panasonic need to answer that. 

Actually $2000.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1442842-REG/z_cam_e1503_e2_professional_4k_cinematic.html

From online reviews the ZCams seem to have issues with fixed pattern noise, reliability and after sales. So they aren't without their issues. Also, their 16stops WDR seems to be some out of their hat figure. 

26 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Actually $2000.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1442842-REG/z_cam_e1503_e2_professional_4k_cinematic.html

From online reviews the ZCams seem to have issues with fixed pattern noise, reliability and after sales. So they aren't without their issues. Also, their 16stops WDR seems to be some out of their hat figure. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566077-REG/z_cam_e1511_e2_m4_4k_cinema_camera.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Actually its 1500$ for basically the same camera. 

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Maybe not, considering that Z-Cam could be forced to stop their production very soon because it uses HiSilicon chips.

That's a very stretched out rumor. Nobody will plan a camera release based on that possibility.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:33 PM, ac6000cw said:

I've thought about trying one of the Fuji XT series cameras several times, but it's the retro control dial setup, plus the stills/video switching (no video record button...) that puts me off. I also own an LX100 and while it's a great stills camera, I find it's similar control dial setup annoying.

As someone who swaps moment-to-moment between stills and video a lot, it's hard to beat the simplicity on a Panasonic m43 camera of enabling 'flicker reduction' to fix the video shutter speed, putting the mode dial on 'P' and then pressing the shutter button to take stills or the record button to shoot video - no dials to move or switches to flick, so less chance of 'missing the moment' because the camera is in the wrong mode...

Hmm. Fair enough. I have my gripes with the Fuji XT menu system (and to this day still don't know if I can truly even set up a Custom C1 C2 etc) but the physical ergos and form factor I really love. That's coming from using GH5 too, but if I was literally *only* doing professional work (i.e never day-to-day carry or travel/personal use + stills) then maybe I'd prefer the bigger GH5 grip etc.

But other than that I really love the rangefinder form. GH5 -> GX9 -> XH1 -> XT4 was basically my route here. I haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything at all in terms of video codecs (I don't go near anamorphic) and image quality since going XT4 after my GH5+GX9

Between the previous VLog L and the Full VLog. It's apparently increased Dynamic Range by 1 stop, which is what everyone was saying the GH5s' sensor is capable of. 13 Stops. 

The autofocus also seems to have something different from DFD (which I am guessing has some sort of ToF/Laser autofocus module to circumvent the Sony Imaging's Monopoly).

HDMI is full sized, and it has fast enough Type-C usb. 

Looking pretty impressive, if you ask me. Autofocus, ergonomics and price seem to be the questions left, for now.