Panasonic GH6

kye

Bad news if true.

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-might-change-their-mind-and-do-aps-c-l-mount-cameras-afterall/

But Panasonic still treats their "partners" as competitors as they did with Olympus? Like DFD only working with Panasonic lenses (I remember that in the start of the L mount there was a lot of incompatibilities)?

If the attitude inside the L mount Alliance will be like inside the MFT world, the mount will not last.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe they want to perform harakiri (seppuku) anyway and leave us with clearer choices and not waste our money and energy to them.

They seem lost to me. There is no road map for m43, no any news for a while, expect Olympus going down. Latest releases confusing and not anything special since the GH5 and G9 I guess.

The S5 should be an entry level much cheaper camera, like the Z5 and the RP and all the others. Now they have a 2.000$ entry level one?! yes, right, good luck with that..

And now what? make an APS-C camera? how is this going to help anyone? It will be so much more confusing that everyone will abandon Panasonic once and for all!

The money maker was m43 and GH for so long, let's concentrate there, do their best, and then continue with their L system. They have to lower the prices a bit to be competitive, very clearly they do not sell well.

We should have had a GH6 by now; the fact we don't is down to Panasonic's shift to fullframe.  Maybe they feel they have exhausted what is possible with MFT, or at least in relation to what they can market well.  It would be a shame to see the GH line end, but it feels only a matter of time.  The writing is on the wall.  Whether we get one more GH is the best we can hope for, and I am not sure if even that is going to happen.

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

We should have had a GH6 by now; the fact we don't is down to Panasonic's shift to fullframe.  Maybe they feel they have exhausted what is possible with MFT, or at least in relation to what they can market well.  It would be a shame to see the GH line end, but it feels only a matter of time.  The writing is on the wall.  Whether we get one more GH is the best we can hope for, and I am not sure if even that is going to happen.

why so pessimistic?! It is pretty obvious that the Alliance exhausted all its resources for the L mount this year. I do not see another camera release for the next 18 months. Maybe something from the Varicam division or something, but certainly they will put more weight on the m43 for 2021. There will be at least 1 significant release I predict.

GH5 and GH5S are already video workhorses, maybe the most video capable hybrids ever build. Now that full frame competitors closing their distance, we will have another significant GH release soon.

We have heard a lot of different things in this thread that GH6 can bring to the table to play with the big (sensored) boys.

It will be financial suicide if they stop m43 production.

We said before, a smaller sensor can have a lot of advantages in this era of small-sensored domination (camera phones).

8 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Bad news if true.

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-might-change-their-mind-and-do-aps-c-l-mount-cameras-afterall/

But Panasonic still treats their "partners" as competitors as they did with Olympus? Like DFD only working with Panasonic lenses (I remember that in the start of the L mount there was a lot of incompatibilities)?

If the attitude inside the L mount Alliance will be like inside the MFT world, the mount will not last.

Quote the shocker, if it's TRUE. Suicidal, if you ask me. It will take both FF and M43 down, if true.

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Guesss GH6 will be APSC L mount camera?

No, it will have to be a MFT camera!

Maaaaybe they will repackage an almost identical camera, into the same body but with an L Mount and using a bigger APS-C cut of the sensor wafer. 

Might be logical from the perspective of minimal extra R&D to make another camera model, but I hope not as would confusing their ("kind of") simple branding they've got currently of MFT vs FF by introducing a new range in between. 

9 hours ago, sanveer said:

Quote the shocker, if it's TRUE. Suicidal, if you ask me. It will take both FF and M43 down, if true.

• Sigma is very, very unhappy with the progress of L-Mount. They are urging Panasonic to focus much more on this system
• They are really thinking of an APS-C entry level system based on L-Mount
• They now see Canon as biggest competitor in Video segment. 
"

It seems Sigma is the one with rhe issue, not Panasonic. Hopefully nobody in Panasonic is encouraging Panasonic to shoot themselves in the foot. 

17 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

It could be due to Panasonics shift to full-frame, or it could be a combination of other factors.

By other factors, what I mean is:

• The GH4 was revolutionary, being one of the first affordable cameras to have 4K.  The GH5 was revolutionary, in many ways but especially delivering 4K60 and 10-bit internal.  If the GH6 is to uphold the reputation of the GH line then it would need to seriously step up and take on the competition, which leads me to...
  • The competition being all over the place.  The A7s3 release was delayed from the normal release schedule, and if rumours are true, was pulled from it launch event at the last minute because Sony weren't sure it would really hit the spot, leaving a huge fanfare for some lenses.  The R5 came from no-where with 8K, after a strange release of the EOS R which seemed to be a big release but was underwhelming and quickly got a big discount.  BM released the P6K, a "successor" to the P4K with a S35 sensor and an EF mount, which confused the heck out of everyone.  BM then released the 12K UMP which was so left-field it was from a parallel dimension.  So all in all, releases have been all over the place and unpredictable, because the market has been in the shadow of...
  • The promise of 8K for the Olympics and now it's delayed because of....
  • COVID.  No-one knows what impact COVID is going to have on the film-making market, especially the low-budget segment which MFT is more prevalent, so the best time to release a camera is pretty tricky thing to gauge.  You'd have to be pretty courageous as an exec to pull the trigger on a huge production and release run during a pandemic, and especially one for an MFT camera because of the...
  • Trend towards full-frame and even larger than FF with some "medium format" options in a few examples.  This is a tremendously upsetting dynamic when S35 ruled the cinematography world for so long, and MFT only had a 1.4x crop compared to S35, whereas now it is considered a 2x crop at least.  This makes MFT seem less palatable by an increasingly fanciful and fickle marketplace, where there is more and more focus on the flashy toys and less and less focus on steady workhorse cameras, and even the "quite market" of content creators is getting tempted by the allure of affordable RAW, which comes with all the...
  • Legal trickiness of patents and licensing agreements and other big companies all playing chess with their lawyers at our expense.

FF is but one element of a tornado of uncertainty.

I cannot fathom Panasonic not releasing a GH6. I think we'd see an underwhelming GH6 released before we see nothing, because there is still money to squeeze out of the M43 user base regardless of what their long term goals are. Whether or not it lives up to expectations, that's the big question I have. Will we see the continuation of the LX100II, G95 and the G100 or will we see the same innovation that drew us to the GH line to begin with? 

My suspicion is that we'll see the latter, as if their intention was the former it'd be out by now. What is bothering me though is there's no news/rumors. Give us some info to settle our nerves, especially given what happened with Olympus. Assure us video shooters that we're not sitting on thousands of dollars of M43 gear for nothing. I want a solid statement, not corporate speak. 

It’s probably, as @kye alludes, down to the pandemic. Most potential GH6 customers are on their uppers with, currently, no realistic prospect of getting up off them. A release now, even if it’s the second coming of M43, is going to see mediocre sales. Then, once the small-biz and well-heeled enthusiast market is in the buying mood once again who knows what advances the competition has ready to drop?

38 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

It’s probably, as @kye alludes, down to the pandemic. Most potential GH6 customers are on their uppers with, currently, no realistic prospect of getting up off them. A release now, even if it’s the second coming of M43, is going to see mediocre sales. Then, once the small-biz and well-heeled enthusiast market is in the buying mood once again who knows what advances the competition has ready to drop?

During this pandemic we had HUGE Canon R5/R6 releases and the almost mythical A7sIII, a camera so late, that stayed a couple of latin numbers behind the rest of their mirrorless. We probably will see V and VI and this sIII will be still there!

Most companies stayed in the plan. Maybe 2-6 months delay, but stayed on course.

Panasonic spend most of its resources for the L mount, they are not Samsung, they have limited sources.

Now that we do not expect much for the L (maybe lenses and accessories, even an EVA L or similar from the cine department) they will concentrate their efforts on the GH6. It could be an 8K workhorse video camera, the one they promised for the Olympics, but even 6K for me will be perfect.

It will be the bomb, and only us we will buy it!

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I'm offloading all the m4/3 equipment that I don't use constantly. Worst case, I will have a minimum kit to use for some years until the market consolidates.

Same here. I've left myself with only a 14-140 zoom which I find quite a nice little spying all-around lens. Everything else is speedboosted EF glass. 

It’s hardly inspiring that Panasonic seems to have lost interest in m4/3s and would prefer to focus on the L-mount. Those resources could all have been put towards the GH and G series and new or revamped lenses (even something as simple as refreshing all the primes to give them similar form factors and features). When a company seems to be putting its interests over its users, its fair for those users to wonder if they should stick around. 

I can wait with the way things are in the world.

I do think if there is nothing announced officially by Jan 2021 then MFT is dead at Panasonic.

Who knows the camera industry might contract even more by then. We’ve heard very little from Nikon. Delays in important lens releases. They are probably struggling.

The Z 70-200 looks humongous. Bigger than the F mount version. 

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

It could also be the GH5 still sells well enough for them to hold off...who knows.

Maybe yeah.

6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I cannot fathom Panasonic not releasing a GH6. I think we'd see an underwhelming GH6 released before we see nothing, because there is still money to squeeze out of the M43 user base regardless of what their long term goals are. Whether or not it lives up to expectations, that's the big question I have. Will we see the continuation of the LX100II, G95 and the G100 or will we see the same innovation that drew us to the GH line to begin with? 

My suspicion is that we'll see the latter, as if their intention was the former it'd be out by now. What is bothering me though is there's no news/rumors. Give us some info to settle our nerves, especially given what happened with Olympus. Assure us video shooters that we're not sitting on thousands of dollars of M43 gear for nothing. I want a solid statement, not corporate speak. 

I thought the purpose of film-making equipment was to shoot with it?

Even if Panasonic goes under tomorrow, and MFT is declared dead by everyone I know, I'll still be able to go outside and shoot images with my "worthless" GH5 and "paperweight" MFT lenses.