Panasonic GH6

kye

4 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I think I'd probably prefer to buy a €2000 GH6 and continue to use my compatible glass than spend €2000 on an S5 and have to faff about with lens options from scratch.

I'm almost perfectly happy with EF glass and a Speedbooster XL which makes the 2x crop of M43 a 1.28x instead. That is a very sweet spot if you need to go wide or if you need narrow DOF. Then if I need reach or more DOF I can swap that out for a non-speedboosted adapter. This makes for a very versatile system.

I would actually save money in the long run if they decided to give us an amazing camera and charge $2000+ for it.

And right now I’m not sure I even like the L-Mount cameras from Panasonic. If I was to move to another brand now it would probably be Sony. Panasonic won’t get my business if they decide to drop MFT and forgo a GH6 anyway with were the current S series camera are at.

I already have amazing MFT lenses and supporting gear. I don’t mind paying a little extra for a camera with the features I want!

17 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

We need to rename this topic to GH6 whishlist 🤓

Well that’s what naturally happens when there isn’t any information at all. 🙃

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have no problem if the GH6 is $2,000 as long as it has the features to justify the price tag. If Panasonic ignores/abandons their loyal M43 user base, particularly those of us in the enthusiast and professional community, I would also likely end up with Sony or Fuji, instead of their full frame offerings, out of principle alone. I couldn't justify supporting a company that abandoned me; I see people that stick by Canon no matter what and that will never be me. 

16 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I have no problem if the GH6 is $2,000 as long as it has the features to justify the price tag. If Panasonic ignores/abandons their loyal M43 user base, particularly those of us in the enthusiast and professional community, I would also likely end up with Sony or Fuji, instead of their full frame offerings, out of principle alone. I couldn't justify supporting a company that abandoned me; I see people that stick by Canon no matter what and that will never be me. 

The GH6 will need to be an absolute monster now the A7SIII offers up to 4k120 10bit full frame with no cripple hammer, and ProRes RAW. 

I think they should use a Super35 sensor but with MFT mount with 6k60p 10bit, external RAW and internal ND filters for less than $2000. 

That would be very relevant and head turning enough. 

I'm afraid that this thread actually approves something that Panasonic management is highly afraid of (although loudly claiming the opposite) - that hypothetical GH6 and S line indeed severely overlapped in most critical user/buyers base that is left to Panasonic as slightly comparative advantage. Most of us who'd buy an great-specs-provided GH6 will never look at unnecessarily expensive S(H) line for next 3 years... and actually we are the main targeted group of potential buyers whom Panasonic stuff mostly tries  to allure to FF line.

Unfortunately, from indefinite phrases as "we will consider", "we will see or still evaluate" etc. it seems to me that development of GH6 is not at all in progress, as also that they'd rather connect eventual/suspectful dying future of m43 to some low level type of camera for lighter consumer usage.

Needless to say that I disagree with such decision even from economic side. And same as previous posters already noted their favorite alternative choices,  without GH6 in plan I feel BM as main provider for my personal needs. 

Till now it is clear that FF line is total selling fiasco in Europe and not too better elsewhere. I simply can't understand why Panasonic don't choose rather to make and sell tones of swan song model of GH6, catch proper moment to attracts all Pocket 4k and/or Olympus users and keep enormous base of loyal GH5 users....     

I disagree.  There seems to be this assumption that if they were making it that somehow we'd hear about it.

As a counter-example, take the BM UMP 12K.  We had no idea that a 12K camera was coming.  I know BM isn't a company that has lots of people chasing rumours, and the UMP isn't exactly an internet darling, but it came literally from no-where.

If BM can keep a 12K camera under wraps before launch, there's nothing to say that Panasonic can't keep a GH6 under wraps too, if they chose to.

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I would actually save money in the long run if they decided to give us an amazing camera and charge $2000+ for it.

Absolutely.  

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I have no problem if the GH6 is $2,000 as long as it has the features to justify the price tag.

Yes.

It's about features.  The GH5 is still as awesome today as it was when it came out (and got the firmware updates).  The bar has been raised, sure, but it wouldn't take much to put a GH6 right back up there with the current crop.

11 hours ago, kye said:

As a counter-example, take the BM UMP 12K.  We had no idea that a 12K camera was coming.  I know BM isn't a company that has lots of people chasing rumours, and the UMP isn't exactly an internet darling, but it came literally from no-where.

If BM can keep a 12K camera under wraps before launch, there's nothing to say that Panasonic can't keep a GH6 under wraps too, if they chose to.

So what you're saying is clearly the GH6 is going to be a 12K camera? 😉

For me, problem is Panasonic's sincere will to allow development to full potential of m43 system, in comparison to what they see as a better profit future of FF, which I really don't see, but of course I am nobody in that regard (as also in many other).

IMO, if such will really exists, there's no excuse of non existing sensor, even nor for too special developing effort: they could make full usage  of Pocket 4k or GH5s (E2) sensor with all their great contemporary know-how that they have at disposal: IBIS surely even better than S1H, newest and better CAF (less demanding calculation and heating polution),  brilliant screen, maybe even doubling processors as Olympus EM1X for HDR calculation, some sort of internal RAW - possibilities are endless. DR of Pocket 4k is enough even for theatrical projection, battery of S1H can last literally whole day long.

But such flagship will probably stopped many of us to think about any other camera next several years, and, much more important, to buy any new lens. I have feeling that Panasonic lost its way in somewhat too complicate and retro founded profit calculation - IMO it is better and more appropriate for today's circumstances  to make brief impact and comparative hit-camera, to shake market and take money of the majority of seriously hesitant customers of the oversaturated market, than to relay of uncertain long prospect projections and compare with other big Japanese manufacturers (and theirs not so clever decisions).

Of course, as all of us m43 enthusiasts here, I'm writing this with hope that somebody from Panasonic really reads this thread 🙂 

Are we sure there is no m43 sensor development?

I can imagine that smaller sensors, especially, 1", but I hope m43 as well, can be a lot more useful than larger ones (appliances, military, automotive industry, e.t.c), were space is a lot more important than "toneh"(!), and we saw smaller sensors really having great ISO performance, and higher read speeds, less heat, e.t.c

The big hit will be 1" sensors on mobile phones and 360/VR cameras, but for video/photography, maybe 1" is a little limited.

Imagine, everyone is talking about "this camera phone, that camera phone" and we are talking mainly for smaller sensors having some very good performances.

Can @androidlad has anything about sensor develpment, I wonder?

Have anyone seen what a medium format looks like? maybe full frame is a small sensor, after all!

10 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

They 100% do.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

100% is a very strong number,

another very definite percentage is 0%!

Mr. Neumann has done work for Panasonic in the past promoting The GH5 and GH5S so His 100% statement is 99.99% correct. 😎 We must account for some degree of uncertainty because it is always present.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Kindly step outside sir, so we can discuss this...

Kindness is my middle name. Kind of:) My two cents about the GH6:

Make it a mini SH1 plus SDI out. Low light as the GH5s or better, dual iso. Settings for zero noise reduction and sharpness and full VLOG curve and V Gamut.

20MP sensor with 7ms readout, super 16 mode, 10 bit 4k60 and perfectly resolved HD with 10bit up to 120fps. Give it that darn VLogger AF mode so it will dominate the market. Sell it for 2000EUR.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

His 100% statement is 99.99% correct. 😎 We must account for some degree of uncertainty because it is always present.

Correct, if we are talking past tense then it's 100% as it was actually discussed in my first meeting with them. Whether they are still here is more uncertain, but I'm guessing they at least browse the threads that pertain to them.

I can see the GH6 big selling point being 8K.  Whether we need it or not, the R5 has shown its very marketable.  I prefer more internal RAW, ND Filters, punch in focus during recording, SSD recording via USB, AF at PDAF quality, recording 2.35 ratio and full Vlog.  Give me that and its a winner for me.

I’m sure they will have one headline feature all the news outlets can slap in the title.

I’m glad they are saying things like (paraphrasing): “we are looking at making the most out of the advantages of MFT”. That is exactly what they should be doing.

That has traditionally been:

• Telephoto video (balance of size weight, and image quality for out in the field work; wether stealthy street or nature). Can’t walk around with a FF 400mm without getting attention. 
  • Fast sensor readout
  • Smaller sensor with theoretically less thermal overhead and more robust IBIS.

The new “best in class video features for mirrorless” today would be things like 6K60p (fast sensor readout), internal ND, unlimited recording (thermal overhead), IBIS (smaller sensor easier to stabilize in body).

But yes, I would like a mini S1H with HFR 6K recording, 4K120p (a must), an internal ND solution, unlimited recording in full vlog with varicam lineage color science, and DR in the 12-13 stop range. That really would be a really exciting and solid camera.

I am kinda grateful the R5 and A7SIII are as good as they are. The bar is raised. It’s time for Panasonic to leap over it like they traditionally have with GH cameras, even if it’s the last MFT camera they make because of the shifting market.