Panasonic GH6

kye

10 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I am still very skeptical about the rumor of Sony denying Panasonic with a PDAF sensor. Why exclusevly Panasonic?

Yes, and why allow Fuji and Olympus? Doesn’t make a lot of sense. I fear it’s a muck of patent deals and technology license agreements and Panasonic wasn’t privy to them at the time and since PDAF has come out on top for AF sensor technology it’s expensive to license (dual pixel is just a form of PDAF).

Im sure they would have done it by now. So it’s more likely Panasonic will do something complete different (I hope) going forward. DfD, while amazing for what it does with contrast detection, isn’t going to cut it anymore. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/5/2020 at 11:40 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I could do you one between the 12-32 and the PanaLeica 12-60 as I actually have them both on my bench at the moment because I'm "up to something" with them.

On the basis that if it competes with that far more expensive one then you'd be on to a winner ?

It wouldn't be very elaborate as I'm too stretched to go anywhere (so a Spyder LensCal and ColorChecker at say 12, 26, 24 and 32 would be the scope of it) and it wouldn't be for a few days but let me know.

Thanks for the offer @BTM_Pix, but have all of them here with me, hehehe - just don't have the time / skill to do a proper test (Covid + tons of work + baby in the house). Would be for stills, for instance - just to know the better one to bring in (future) trips. 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:40 PM, BTM_Pix said:

.....because I'm "up to something" with them.....

I knew you were up to something!!

On 8/6/2020 at 5:15 AM, scotchtape said:

Yes but remember the rumors about Sony not allowing PDAF on the sensors they sold to Panny... and Sony is essentially the King of sensors right now...

So Panny would have to find someone else for the sensors.  I'm not an expert in the field, but who else makes good sensors that can sell them to Panny?

I nominate a Panasonic @BTM_Pix alliance - the F-Accessory Alliance.  

It can either stand for Focus Accessory Alliance, time-of-Flight Accessory Alliance, or F@#$-focus-pixels Accessory Alliance.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, BTM_Pix said:

We need to get past the "why won't this fucking thing compile" stage yet. 

Which, in recent decades, and corresponding to the decline in software reliability, is broadly referred to as "alpha testing"...

I think most Americans would call that a “pot pie” with fruit pies being usually referred to as simply “pie”.

Calling it a cake is straight on blaspheming.

“Pie floater” conjures images of something you don’t want to see floating in your town pool.

What is tripled cooked chips? Sounds like an excellent nickname for the R5.

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

What is tripled cooked chips? Sounds like an excellent nickname for the R5.

As far as I recall, mad-professor celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal popularised these quite a few years ago.  They are chips (as in oversized french fries, not what you would call potato chips) cooked at three different oil temperatures consecutively to provide crisp exterior and fluffy interior.

Superb gastro tech, for sure - but nowadays as common as, well... chips. 

• Super Members

Sorry to have derailed a camera thread so badly.

Back on topic....

When the GH6 does finally come out, people will inevitably be looking for quirky vintage lenses to adapt to it.

If you find yourself in Berlin, I've found the Sunday flea market at Mauerpark to be a bit of a treasure trove.

While you are there, go to the food part where there is a truck selling what are hands down the best thrice cooked chips you'll find anywhere.

46 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sorry to have derailed a camera thread so badly.

Back on topic....

When the GH6 does finally come out, people will inevitably be looking for quirky vintage lenses to adapt to it.

If you find yourself in Berlin, I've found the Sunday flea market at Mauerpark to be a bit of a treasure trove.

While you are there, go to the food part where there is a truck selling what are hands down the best thrice cooked chips you'll find anywhere.

Until the announcement, all rumour threads are just people hanging out killing time.

Is there anything that the GH6 could do to adapt quirky lenses that the GH5 couldn't do?  I've got a bunch of quirky lenses and after having shot with a bunch of them for by big blind test, have no desire to find anything quirkier...  

• Super Members

I was only fabricating a post to shoehorn a callback to the chips really but you never know, the GH6 might be L mount with an electronic MFT adapter so you could adapt M mounts, or use the new Sigma APS-C L mounts or your existing MFT lenses.

Is there an unbreakable GH rule that says it can't be APS-C and L mount ?

It could use different portions of the sensor for each option so you could have thrice cropped clips.

I'll get my coat.

13 hours ago, kye said:

As long as it's not a pie floater, then you'll be fine...

South Australians are weird. Is that where you're from?

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was only fabricating a post to shoehorn a callback to the chips really but you never know, the GH6 might be L mount with an electronic MFT adapter so you could adapt M mounts, or use the new Sigma APS-C L mounts or your existing MFT lenses.

Is there an unbreakable GH rule that says it can't be APS-C and L mount ?

Would mess with Panasonic's entire naming history for a GH series camera to be anything but MFT Mount. 
If the "GH6" has an L Mount then it makes far far more sense to call it "S2H" instead. (or adopt some of the Sony/Olympus/Canon naming with "Mark X", and go with "S1H mk2")

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

South Australians are weird. Is that where you're from?

Nope.  Here in Australia we call SA a 'flyover' state.

(actually we don't, the east coast forgets all the land to the west).

I'll also get my coat.