Panasonic GH6

kye

6 minutes ago, anonim said:

Please, I bet you are pretty well informed, so I'd like to take the opportunity to ask here instead searching elsewhere: what sensor is inside already firmly announced Sharp's m43 8k camera?

Most likely the IMX492. It can do 8k at upto 30fps (thought at 10-bit). 

4 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Their smaller version of the S1

Whoa. That's interesting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, sanveer said:

Most likely the IMX492. It can do 8k at upto 30fps (thought at 10-bit). 

I've just found this information: "The sensor itself is made by Taiwanese company Socle and is said to be a true 8K sensor, without the need to extrapolate up."

I think the GH6 will likely have similar specs as the S1H, with a few extra ones that take advantage of the M43 system. 

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't expect either ProRes or PDAF. Maybe they'll surprise us, but they really seem dead set on DfD auto focus and I think it's a big, big mistake. It matters little to me personally, but it's clearly what people want / expect. Not doing it would just be a bad look, perception wise. 

It wouldn't let me edit my last post, but I wanted to add that the Olympus situation has made me reevaluate M43 a bit. I think it can survive, but Panasonic can't keep denying things like PDAF when that's what the majority of customers want. While it isn't that important to me, the growth/sustainability of the system is because I'm heavily invested in it. I want to know that it will be around and competitive in 5 years, and a big part of that is meeting the expectations of the customers. 

I’ll take slightly improved DfD autofocus if they have internal BRAW or ProsRes RAW in there. Still better than what blackmagic offers. The AF on the G9 is unreliable but it does come in handy for certain things.

I also hope they take the ethos of the S1H into the new camera and focus on video almost entirely. They can always Release a G9 successor for the hardcore M43 photographers (throwing in features similar to what Olympus offered would be smart imho).

What we do know is there is two Sony 4/3 sensors out there that have the potential be customized for photo use.

The IMX492LQJ and the IMX594CQR.

Of those two the later one seems most capable for video features at 41MP.

That would leave enough MP for 8K 16:9 video. It could also possible have a quad-Bayer mode which would deliver 10.2MP (same size as GH5S) for better lowlight and color at 4K. Finally, at 41MP it would be beneficial for it to be a BSI sensor as well.

It all hinges however on the readout speeds. I theorize if it has that sensor with good readout speeds we will see something like:

8K24/30p, 6K oversampled at 24/30p, and finally a quad-Bayer, 10.2MP 4K mode at 120p that would deliver better lowlight ability over the GH5 and maybe the GH5S in that mode.

That would be in the spirit of a GH camera I think! All unlimited of course. 

8 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It wouldn't let me edit my last post, but I wanted to add that the Olympus situation has made me reevaluate M43 a bit.

I'm afraid that Panasonic's consumer image division situation is horrible. After GH5 all their decisions look to me as serious market failure, from one or another reason. And reason because I'm writing this is only to drop a drop more of begging to reconsider destiny of GH6 (which is extremely doubtful )... as only step that at the moment could help them to stay profitable alive.

7 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

They can partner with blackmagic to get a similar sensor as the 12K just in 4/3 format and at 8K and with blackmagic RAW inside. 

I'm not competent to comment join venture business, but I don't see any reason why would BM share their extremely secret sensor's know-how at the moment when they are probable only comparative company that makes progressive profit. They are where they dreamed to be. I think that It's obvious that their new sensor works in tightest conjunction with their own developed codec to achieve final IQ results that now are clearly next to ARRI's and even the best in software manipulation easiness. All of that with possibility to offer prices that are almost always near half of the price of other market competitors. Panasonic has to immediately learn from BM: to put all effort in their most profitable line and model, without crippling and sparing anything - there are thousands of m43 users that still can be catch to buy top notch camera for their big investments in m43 lenses. 

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

As a post addendum: 

They can partner with blackmagic to get a similar sensor as the 12K just in 4/3 format and at 8K and with blackmagic RAW inside. 

That's what using the IMX594CQR sensor would mean. 

Although I'd be perfectly happy if they could deliver the GH5S with IBIS, and the 4K 160fps of the E2, and with ProRes RAW external, and all at a price point of US$1.5K (why not? That is the price of the Z Cam E2 M4 which is already released).

3 hours ago, anonim said:

I'm afraid that Panasonic's consumer image division situation is horrible. After GH5 all their decisions look to me as serious market failure, from one or another reason. And reason because I'm writing this is only to drop a drop more of begging to reconsider destiny of GH6 (which is extremely doubtful )... as only step that at the moment could help them to stay profitable alive.

Yes, the Panasonic G95 and G100 has been disappointing!!

And where are the GF/GM updates, forgotten about?

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It wouldn't let me edit my last post, but I wanted to add that the Olympus situation has made me reevaluate M43 a bit. I think it can survive, but Panasonic can't keep denying things like PDAF when that's what the majority of customers want. While it isn't that important to me, the growth/sustainability of the system is because I'm heavily invested in it. I want to know that it will be around and competitive in 5 years, and a big part of that is meeting the expectations of the customers. 

Yes, for me PDAF is merely a "want", and a long way from a *need*, but seeing them deliver on PDAF would bring about greater faith in the future of MFT.

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, for me PDAF is merely a "want", and a long way from a *need*, but seeing them deliver on PDAF would bring about greater faith in the future of MFT.

Agreed. I just need reassurances that M43 is going to still be relevant, otherwise it doesn't make sense to invest more into the system. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Although I'd be perfectly happy if they could deliver the GH5S with IBIS, and the 4K 160fps of the E2, and with ProRes RAW external, and all at a price point of US$1.5K (why not? That is the price of the Z Cam E2 M4 which is already released).

I find all of these conversations to be somewhat bizarre, as often the sentiment is that if that a given manufacturer doesn't deliver a dream-list of features, often completely contrary to their past offerings and / or license agreements and patents, and do it for some ridiculously small sum of money then the whole company is doomed.

However, mentioning that the Z-Cam E2 M4 is at that price point with those features really sets the context of it not being pie in the sky, and brings it down to reality somewhat.

Of course, the GH5 and E2 M4 are completely different form-factors for different purposes, but it is a realistic point of comparison specs-wise.

Exactly, I don't think my wishes are too unrealistic "pie in the sky" dreaming. 

All I'm merely asking for is for them to take a camera that already exists (E2-M4) & add a couple of things (a screen & IBIS) while maintaining the same price point. 

Optimistic? Yes!
Unrealistic? No. 

Of course any extra "pie in the sky" dreaming like a built in eND would be a wonderful cheery on the top as well!

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Agreed. I just need reassurances that M43 is going to still be relevant, otherwise it doesn't make sense to invest more into the system. 

Indeed.

Since I'm probably the sole m4/3 user and a complete amateur, each purchase decision is for my pleasure only - no chance to get the value back with gigs.

Don't have interest in full frame cameras, since (as I'm not a professional) I value much more lightness and compactness than pure image quality. Besides low light performance (kind of important to me since I like to do video / stills in concerts - had some of my stills published in some Instagram's bands) and lack of good video AF (less with the PDAF's Olympus), m4/3 have all the quality that I need.

But in my view, things are not rosy in the m4/3 camp. Don't see JIP making Olympus relevant again. And each Panasonic's m4/3 offering since the GH5/GH5s/G9 are increasingly disastrous. And no rumours, no new roadmaps, nothing is coming out.

Right now, after a boatload of bodies that I've got, I have a E-M10 MK III and a GX9 (except for the 4k crop, is it better than I've expected). Would like to have a E-M1 MK II or III or the E-M5 MK III because PDAF (and which is probably one of the best patents - only could be a strong patent to not be copied - that thay have, that are their long exposure modes with instant preview), but...now, I do not see a future, at least with bigger companies (still think, as @sanveer, that m4/3  stillhave a relevant role in niche video).

I'll be offloading all the lenses that I have few use (even maybe my preferred one, the amazing Oly 75mm 1.8), and I see two paths for me:
- Move to Fuji, since is the closer to size / weight to m4/3 - albeit my few experiences with Fuji were very strange, most worst results than m4/3 but when it gets better, were MUCH better;
- Keep only a minimal m4/3 kit, wait for both Olympus and Panasonic killing their m4/3 lines, and grab bodies / lenses new or slightly used for cheap and use it until everything dies, than choose with the surviving options.

Well if Panasonic keeps working on BS like this we will never get a GH6. I think Panasonic has gotten caught up in the same specs war as everyone else, what they don't realize is that users like me are ok with putting up with their shortcomings at the GH5/GH6 price point, but if you are telling me I now have to buy L-Mount lenses and a new body and still put up with your shortcomings that's how you start losing customers.

Speaking of L mount, the lens selection is pretty dismal yet Panasonic plans on continuing to release bodies for it? Canon got that part right, build the lenses then the bodies.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/panasonic-s5-on-the-way-a-new-smaller-version-of-the-s1-report

I don't mind L Mount thriving, as if it fails, then Panasonic might consider quitting the imaging business entirely and that includes ending their MFT business too. 

And for the L Series to succeed they do need a body priced below the the Panasonic S1, such as a Panasonic S5. (either that or bring out a S1 mk2 asap, and slash the price permanently of the original S1 to US$1.5K-ish. Just like Sony has done, bringing out newer a7 models but keeping around the older a7 models to fill in those cheaper price tiers)