Panasonic GH6

kye

3 hours ago, kye said:

Lots of kids also want to be astronauts or firemen but sales of space-suits and fire-axes isn't through the roof, I suspect due to the same problem.

Both my kids have made a dozen or so YT videos each, plus who-knows how many other videos on Musically/TikTok etc, and with my entire camera collection the only thing they've ever wanted to borrow was my tripod - they just use their phones.  I gave my daughter my Rode VideoMic Me as her phone still has a headphone port and mine doesn't but I'm not sure if she ended up using it much.  My daughter asked about using one of my cameras once, and I didn't even get through explaining that it records to an SD card, then you get an SD card reader and plug it into your computer, and then...  <screws up face> "nah, I'll just use my phone".  She uses airdrop.

But what about video quality you ask?  They care about content, editing, and making them funny.  They don't even have the YT flippy screen problem because they use the selfie camera not the much better quality rear one.  The screen of a phone kills almost any camera screen and it's built in.  Kids are like professional film-makers - they want to get from idea to pay-off in as quick a time as possible.  

You'd be forgiven for thinking that vloggers want flippy screens for their DSLR / MILC cameras but I'd say the vast vast majority of them are using 'lesser' cameras.  

YouTubers are like online marketing people - the internet makes it look like the world is full of them, but in reality the world is run by other people doing useful things instead of just endlessly talking about themselves online.  Of course, we probably watch the camera vloggers who talk about cameras much more than the fashion/food/lifestyle vloggers who talk about everything else, and the camera guys are telling you that you need a 1DXII and cinematic b-roll partly to get you to get you to click the affiliate links in the description.

Besides, quality from a phone can be just great...

My advice to my daughter goes something like "your phone is fine, but use a shitload of light" and to use the microphone I gave her because it will make the sound less like she's recording in a bathroom.  She's 15 BTW, so no dummy.  If these things mattered to her then she'd be all over it by this age, but they just don't.

True although the difference is you can be a youtuber without actually being successful or without any education/low cost.  Can't be said for astronauts or firemen. You certainly can get by with a phone camera for many applications, I mean even features have been shot on phones now. However I don't think marketing and selling is always about need. People will buy because they think they need it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Probably I'm wrong, but every rumor about higher capable camera actually affects me in a strange way - to ask myself: am I really overgrew my existing tool regarding opportunities to use it, or am I even made usage of its values to full potential, for private creativeness or for real business/competitive market? Sadly, I must admit that at the moment it seems that answer is - no. (If just somewhere exists rumors about more opportunities for me to escape in camera shooting realm...)

On 2/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, newfoundmass said:

In some ways the G85 doesn't need a successor yet. It'd be nice, obviously, but it's still such a great budget camera even today and I still recommend it to people on a budget. It still kinda blows my mind that they released such a feature rich camera so shortly before launching the GH5. Panasonic had a lot of swagger from 2014 to 2017!

I'd like Panasonic to bring the swagger back for 2019!!

Imagine what a G90 might be like?

Would be finally getting 10bit internal in a low end camera? I'm inclined to think "yes", seeing as the likes of cheap ish cameras such as the Fuji X-T3 and BMPCC4K have it. 

So perhaps the G90 will have 4K 30fps internal (or at least external!), plus FHD 120fps 8bit (seeing as slow motion is also becoming very commonplace as well), and finally maybe just one more random video feature as a treat for us (v-log? waveforms? timecode?).  

On 2/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, kye said:

Lots of kids also want to be astronauts or firemen but sales of space-suits and fire-axes isn't through the roof, I suspect due to the same problem.

If you could buy a space rocket or a fire truck for the same price as a Canon M50 then I bet their sales would go through the roof. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

So perhaps the G90 will have 4K 30fps internal (or at least external!)

I don't think any camera manufacturer will release a camera that can't do internal 4k30p. In fact, I think 4k60p is quickly becoming a minimum requirement for many camera buyers, even over 10 bit. Especially in the non-pro, hobbyist market.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:01 AM, anonim said:

Probably I'm wrong, but every rumor about higher capable camera actually affects me in a strange way - to ask myself: am I really overgrew my existing tool regarding opportunities to use it, or am I even made usage of its values to full potential, for private creativeness or for real business/competitive market? Sadly, I must admit that at the moment it seems that answer is - no. (If just somewhere exists rumors about more opportunities for me to escape in camera shooting realm...)

+1. My nx1 is for sure a more capable camera than I am as a photo/videographer.

5 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

A proper DPAF is the first feature I wait for in the GH6. Secondly internal ProRes Raw would be amazing, if not at least internal 10bit at 4K60p. 

4K120p or at least a good quality FHD 180p would be nice.

Hoping for all those features. I am kind of doubting pana will ever do PDAF tho

44 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

+1. My nx1 is for sure a more capable camera than I am as a photo/videographer.

Thanks, it's so nice to hear voice of modesty, out of endless verbal judging what is future or what is dead. Actually, it seems that inner peace and modesty are the most important talents to make a gems such these - with NX1. (And it is great to see that Black Pencil still use NX1... last post is just one month old one).

42 minutes ago, anonim said:

Thanks, it's so nice to hear voice of modesty, out of endless verbal judging what is future or what is dead. Actually, it seems that inner peace and modesty are the most important talents to make a gems such these - with NX1. (And it is great to see that Black Pencil still use NX1... last post is just one month old one).

Incredible videos. Now, who needs a better tool when you can make such 'things' with a 4+ years old camera? I'd rather like to learn how to grade like this then to get a gh6 for free.

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

A proper DPAF is the first feature I wait for in the GH6. Secondly internal ProRes Raw would be amazing, if not at least internal 10bit at 4K60p. 

4K120p or at least a good quality FHD 180p would be nice.

You can already get 41K120FPS right now for sub $2K with the Z Cam E2 ? 

14 hours ago, anonim said:

Wonderful videos!

I know my GH5 is so much better than I am :)

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You can already get 41K120FPS right now for sub $2K with the Z Cam E2 ? 

41K..  screw 8K!  Wow!!  ???

• 1 month later...

I'd definitely hold on to my MFT glass and cameras if the GH6 had 10 - 12 bit internal recording (BM Raw or ProRes Raw), 120fps in 4K, and internal NDs (the last one being the most important). As well as the IBIS of the GH5 and the low light capabilities of the GH5s.

Throw on the 10-25mm f1.7 and I could use that camera for almost everything. Some f0.95 autofocus primes would also be great. 

• 2 months later...

Not a rumor but more of a fantasy speculation.

Ignoring the fabled organic sensor, I was thinking about what Panasonic could do to keep pace and perhaps surpass full frame performance. With the release of new quad-Bayer sensors in smart phones that drastically increases lowlight performance, I materialized a fantasy spec sheet for the GH6.

Micro 4/3 48Mpx quad-bayer sensor

This would kill two birds with one stone. This would drastically improve lowlight performance by offering a mode that would “sacrifice”  megapixels for better lowlight performance. The final product would be 12Mpx, enough for a 4K video resolution in lowlight situations.

When there is enough light the full 48Mpx could be used for greater resolution photos or 8K video.

6.5 stops of IBIS in-body with upto 7 stops with a good OIS lens

This is a strength of M43. Build upon it.

HEVC 10-bit high bitrate codec

An ALL-I codec is great but for HFR 4K and 8K I think having HEVC for storage efficiency is crucial.

Dual CFast/Express slots

At least 14 stops of DR

Improved autofocus

Some surprises ?

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Not a rumor but more of a fantasy speculation.

Ignoring the fabled organic sensor, I was thinking about what Panasonic could do to keep pace and perhaps surpass full frame performance. With the release of new quad-Bayer sensors in smart phones that drastically increases lowlight performance, I materialized a fantasy spec sheet for the GH6.

Micro 4/3 48Mpx quad-bayer sensor

This would kill two birds with one stone. This would drastically improve lowlight performance by offering a mode that would “sacrifice”  megapixels for better lowlight performance. The final product would be 12Mpx, enough for a 4K video resolution in lowlight situations.

When there is enough light the full 48Mpx could be used for greater resolution photos or 8K video.

6.5 stops of IBIS in-body with upto 7 stops with a good OIS lens

This is a strength of M43. Build upon it.

HEVC 10-bit high bitrate codec

An ALL-I codec is great but for HFR 4K and 8K I think having HEVC for storage efficiency is crucial.

Dual CFast/Express slots

At least 14 stops of DR

Improved autofocus

Some surprises ?

I'll take two!