Panasonic AG-AC90 or Panasonic GH3, WHAT I got , YOU opinion

com21

Alright, not sure if this is the right forum but, I recently just got a GH3 , I do mostly VIDEO, I film alot of skateboarding about 60 percent and then short movies/docs/video/ the other 40 percent.  I am an old vx2000 user for like 10 years and thought it was time to upgrade. I been researching for weeks and decided to get a GH3,  My question is should I have i gotten a panny ag-ac90 insted?

This was my reasoning,   For years i kept hearing and seeing how good the gh2 was, and how nice the quality was. i saw alot of pro filmers starting to use dslr's granted they prolly use mark 3's but whatever, I saw many tests were it was a gh3 vs the ag-ac90, and they looked just about the same , the ag-ac90 was about 800 dollars more but i would need 2 lenses for my gh3 for they even out in price.

I understand that the Ag-ac90 is an easier SHOT and GO, and the has XLR, and an adapter for gh3 is more $$$$ like 300, but all the seperate videos and short films i kept watching for both cameras, the GH3 BESTED the ag-ac90 easly quality,  un color corrected and color corrected I could not understand why,

WHy dslrs have such good quality when cameras made just for filmimg can't keep up.

So in my NOT PRO opinion i got the gh3, it just shipped yesturday. IF u take away the shot and go, and the better sound controls ( i don't really mind taking time to set-up ) DID i make the right choice.   Also as there was a awsome hack for gh2 that made it super sweet, i am hoping sometime within the year the gh3 would get one that would make it even more better.    Opinions Please?

sorry for making you read all this,  --Alex--

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i just don't want to spend thousands of dollars on lenses , i only really need 2 or 3, a wide angle for skating , just for skating , i got a renikon 7.5, and i am thinking in getting a zoom one and 20mm pancake or 35mm for like short videos and sutff,   im just overwhelmed with all this stuff you can and sometimes need to get its crazy i should have upgraded earlier and not waited years

I already had some nice Canon lenses and a T2i so I bought a Canon 6d (aka the bastard camera with the moire issues) to go with it for a project I'm doing. I also "know" the Canons, so I was able to ramp up on the 6D pretty easy. If you makes you feel any better, I wanted to go with the GH3 but would have had to buy 2 of them and lenses for both.

Take it slow. Buy what you need as you need it. It took me a few years, but I have a nice audio recorder and mics, a nice light kit and a couple of Canons with a few nice lenses. I can totally sell off my cameras/lenses (and I might after these projects) and my audio and lights are still good to go.

To generalize, the dedicated video camera are easier to use. But I think you can have more fun with the DSLR.

I bought my T2i, an entry level camera for the most part at the time, and added a 100mm f2.8 Macro that cost as much as the camera and a 70-200mm f2.8 that cost a lot more than the camera. It's only now that I feel the true need to upgrade the camera a little bit. The lenses are every bit as good as they were when I bought them.

Same with you. I think a lot of these MFT lenses will fit a lot of fun cameras coming up. The 60p will be great for skateboard vids.

I went crazy trying to decide what to do, then I did it, and now I don't care. These are the tools I have, now, what can I do with them?

yea, I just got it in the mail today, tomorrow i might go  out and just buy a fisheye since i need thats first mostly  and take it from there like you suggested  ,Its funny in my film classes everytime i ask any teachers whats a better camera to get, they say basicly what you said, its not what you have , its what you can do with what you have , i know its cliche but i guess a real film maker can get his point across no matter what camera he uses.