Speedbooster and ND throttle in one

mirekti

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I would really like to see a combination of speedbooster like Zhongyi Turbo II and Fotodiox ND throttle in a single EF to M43 adapter.

Do you think it is physically possible to make such adapter?

Yes, and I think we'll get there eventually.

The FS5 proves it's possible, but when I looked into why we don't all have them I saw something from Sony saying they are difficult to make or expensive or something (can't remember) but basically there was a good reason why we don't all have them yet.

They will get cheaper and easier to make (like all tech does over time) and we'll start to see more high-end cameras having them, and eventually companies will start putting them into adapters, and Metabones will do it and release the kind of product you want.  It will be really expensive.  Eventually it will probably trickle down to be in every camera, probably just built into the sensor stack, but that will be a long time from now.

An integrated electronic variable ND solves a problem that isn't there for high-end cinema cameras, is there for mid-level cine-cameras used for run-n-gun doc work, is there for us hybrid shooters, and the consumer doesn't really care about, and in some cases is actually undesirable for the end consumer (eg, for any camera likely to be moving a lot that relies on post-stabilisation, like all 360 cameras).  It will trickle from where there is the greatest need and money to where there is the least need or least money.

12 minutes ago, kye said:

Yes

Dude, what are you on? ???

Just kidding, thank you for the reply. I know there were some filtermatic lenses in the past, maybe that approach could be taken, maybe in camera ND. Not sure which one, but I certainly need one so I can get rid of the one on the lens’ front filter thread.

5 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Dude, what are you on? ???

Just kidding, thank you for the reply. I know there were some filtermatic lenses in the past, maybe that approach could be taken, maybe in camera ND. Not sure which one, but I certainly need one so I can get rid of the one on the lens’ front filter thread.

I'd like one because I don't have one on the filter thread.  I have a 4-stop fixed ND on the end of my main lens, attached with the magnetic filter holder so I can easily pull it off or put it on, and I simply have it on during the day and off at night.  Beyond that, my style of film-making is too fast and I am already worried about too many other things to fuss with an ND when I change lenses etc, and plus I just don't care enough to bother with all that hassle.  

I'd like it to just be built into the sensor so that it's there for every lens and every lens adapter.  If it was built into a speed booster then that would mean that I wouldn't be able to use it when I'm wanting to take advantage of the crop factor of my GH5 to extend long lenses for sports or wildlife.  Everything other than it being built into the camera is a compromise.

I'm estimating that it'll probably be part of the GH7 but not before.  It would be great if I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

It will happen one day. 

Either from Metabones for $$$$$$$, or a chinese company (but he might need to raise a bit of noise to pressure them to make this product, as it might not be an innovation they'll just spontaneously come up with otherwise).

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I'm thinking GH6. I have higher doubts that there will be a GH7 in 4 years.

IIRC there were some comments around the release of the S1 that the GH6 might be with us soon.  Assuming that's the case, it would be a pretty huge thing for Panasonic to add that to their lineup before all the other higher-end cine cameras had it.  Not saying impossible, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

In terms of there being a GH7, who knows.  You might be right and maybe everything moves to full-frame.  It would be a pity though as one of the strengths of the GH line is that the sensor size allows use of all sorts of non-FF lenses.  Mirrorless means that you can adapt any DSLR lens ever made, but it would be a real shame then to only have mirrorless FF and have professional cine-lenses (which are made for Super35 not FF) either vignette seriously or would need to have either a optical or digital teleconverter.

Having mirrorless M43 means that getting fast wide lenses is difficult, but everything else is easy and cheap.   You only have to search ebay for 250mm or 300mm primes to understand that you can get 500mm, 600mm or more for less than the price of taking the kids to McDonalds, plus you're not having to buy a new bag to store it, or back surgery when you get home.

23 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Looking at both my Metabones and Viltrox speedboosters there doesn't look like any room to fit a VariND mechanism in there. For a normal adapter I don't know why it hasn't been done by more manufacturers.

My completely uneducated perspective is that if they needed to make it a bit deeper then they could adjust the optics to focus the lens slightly further away to compensate, but that might not be easy to accomplish?

If they were trying to make an ND adapter that didn't have an optic in there then I think that's not possible.

1 hour ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

I asked about a trottle ND for Nikon to Leica L mount, to use on the new panasonic S1 and they are considering it.

They will answer just give some time

No doubt they would, but my question was whether it was physically possible to build an ND throttle and a speedbooster in the same adapter.

10 hours ago, kye said:

IIRC there were some comments around the release of the S1 that the GH6 might be with us soon.  Assuming that's the case, it would be a pretty huge thing for Panasonic to add that to their lineup before all the other higher-end cine cameras had it.  Not saying impossible, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

In terms of there being a GH7, who knows.  You might be right and maybe everything moves to full-frame.  It would be a pity though as one of the strengths of the GH line is that the sensor size allows use of all sorts of non-FF lenses.  Mirrorless means that you can adapt any DSLR lens ever made, but it would be a real shame then to only have mirrorless FF and have professional cine-lenses (which are made for Super35 not FF) either vignette seriously or would need to have either a optical or digital teleconverter.

Having mirrorless M43 means that getting fast wide lenses is difficult, but everything else is easy and cheap.   You only have to search ebay for 250mm or 300mm primes to understand that you can get 500mm, 600mm or more for less than the price of taking the kids to McDonalds, plus you're not having to buy a new bag to store it, or back surgery when you get home.

I am kind of thinking the GH6 won't arrive until next spring. Seems like the GH5S and GH5 are still too new for them to throw out another camera so quick.

Seems to me that a typical mirrorless body has no space for a filter to swing/slide out of the way of the sensor. So you either make the the body much bigger/thicker, or use a fixed filter, which then eats up at least a stop or two of your ISO performance (whatever the minimum power of the eND panel is). Either way you're affecting aspects (size/weight, ISO performance) of the camera that the camera makers consider much more important than a request from niche video-centric users.

And who knows if an ND and a physical shutter will both fit behind most modern mirrorless mounts. Sure, FS5 etc have NDs, but they don't have shutters. Global shutters that will work for photography (i.e. truly global, and don't affect sensor performance in DR/ISO) are still years off, so I wouldn't hold your breath about it.