Why Sony is not rushing with the A7S III

liork

On 2/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, Mako Sports said:

Only reason I can think would be to match to an A7sii that said person might already own. The A7iii does have a different color science sooc. 

Evert sony camera has a different color science. It's like trying to match different shades of puke yellow or green skin tones ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

Evert sony camera has a different color science. It's like trying to match different shades of puke yellow or green skin tones ?

Ehh im also not a fan of a canons heavy and unrealistic magenta shift in the skin tones on their newer cams. Sonys latest color reminds me of canons older color. 

14 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

too late I got one?

damnit I believed that!

For an oversampled 8K sensor you would need about 48 mpixels. I doubt it will have that though, more likely oversampled 4K, which you can do with 12 mpixels. High frame rates at 4K are likely, along with higher bit depths and some sort of raw capability. Much improved AF is a certainty.

24 minutes ago, Mokara said:

For an oversampled 8K sensor you would need about 48 mpixels. I doubt it will have that though, more likely oversampled 4K, which you can do with 12 mpixels. High frame rates at 4K are likely, along with higher bit depths and some sort of raw capability. Much improved AF is a certainty.

Yeah I am hoping they go the 4k sensor low MP route. 

22 minutes ago, androidlad said:

No they won't.

A7S III is still primarily a stills camera, with cutting edge video features.

Well, the A7S and A7SII both have low pixel counts, so I don't see why the A7SIII would have something different. You do know that the A7S series have a low pixel count sensor right? The only reason to increase the pixel count above what it is now would be 8K, and the pixel count will not go lower than what it currently is due to the compromise it would impose on resolution. The A7S sensor is designed around video, low light stills photography is secondary to that. 

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Well, the A7S and A7SII both have low pixel counts, so I don't see why the A7SIII would have something different. You do know that the A7S series have a low pixel count sensor right? The only reason to increase the pixel count above what it is now would be 8K, and the pixel count will not go lower than what it currently is due to the compromise it would impose on resolution. The A7S sensor is designed around video, low light stills photography is secondary to that. 

They could be going away from that route, I hope not. 

Kenji Tanaka, VP and Senior General Manager of Sony's Business Unit 1, Digital Imaging Group talks about:

"the mentality of stills photographers and videographers is completely different. That kind of fusion, I don’t think [it's realistic]. We want to create new cameras for both kinds of creators."

"The basic expectation is for things like 4K/60, 10-bit 4:2:2, and a lot of manufacturers are doing that right now, but I want to think in a different way and create something that goes beyond the expectations of our customers. It’s easy to add 4K/60, but beyond these specs, a lot of customers have other kinds of demands, and that’s what we’re researching."

https://***URL removed***/interviews/9676983794/cp-2019-sony-interview-first-full-frame-then-aps-c

6 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

"It's easy to add 4k60"

Clearly it's very easy, since Panasonic beat you to it....

Yeah, it’s easy to add feature, but usefulness in real life is another.

So far non of the interchangeable lens camera can do 4K60p in Full frame (Panasonic S1R is the closest with 1.09x crop)

53 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, it’s easy to add feature, but usefulness in real life is another.

So far non of the interchangeable lens camera can do 4K60p in Full frame (Panasonic S1R is the closest with 1.09x crop)

Crop or not, Sony had no dslr style camera that shoots 4k60. Panasonic has a number of them, and fuji has the xt3, and z cam went straight to 4k120.

And even Canon now has a camera with 10 bit hdmi. Sony really needs to make a massive leap forward at either ff or apsc, and keep abreasonable price. They really need 4k60 at 10 bit internally under $3k for me to be at all impressed.

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Crop or not, Sony had no dslr style camera that shoots 4k60. Panasonic has a number of them, and fuji has the xt3, and z cam went straight to 4k120.

Z Cam was doing 4K 30fps before in the E1

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Z Cam was doing 4K 30fps before in the E1

Right, I meant in terms of higher frame rates. I'm amused by the way Sony claims its "easy" to do 4k60, but has yet to do it, while other companies like Z Cam forge ahead into double that frame rate--using a Sony sensor, of all things. Strikes me as funny.

13 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

"It's easy to add 4k60"

Clearly it's very easy, since Panasonic beat you to it....

I think the delay in the A7Siii is obvious: the expectations/market has moved in a direction that outpaced Sony's tech and they're playing catch up. Last year was a huge year. Panasonic was still riding that GH5 wave for most of the year, until they announced their full frame camera. The full frame mirrorless announcements from Nikon and Canon. Nikon and Fuji made HUGE steps in their video capabilities. At the beginning of the year the A7III looked like a real impressive camera (and it still is despite its flaws) but by the end of 2018, not so much. Heck, the GH5s, and all of the new full frame mirrorless cameras even made their low light performance look less impressive: maybe not as good, but definitely in the ballpark. 

In a sense, they're probably not lying by saying that it's simple to add 4K/60p but to DO 4k/60p with their current mirrorless tech probably isn't so simple without overheating. The longer they wait though the bigger the expectations are going to be. It's not an enviable position to be in. At this point they're going to need to release something ground breaking because they've got a lot of companies gunning for them, and they're all very capable foes. 

some interesting clues in that interview.. i knew sony was going back to the drawing boards for A7S3 but it sounds like they are really trying to re-imagine the whole concept to gear it towards videographers. even more surprising, the VP giving praise to the BM P4K. it seems plausible Sony might go that direction with a bigger body/LCD. i think Sony took their current alpha form factor to its limits, especially as far as heat management and going forward with video specs means a new body paradigm.. hopefully some more clues during NAB..

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

No one bought the A7Sii for its stills capabilities, and the same is likely to be true for the A7Siii. It's OK for web publishing, at best. 

The D700/D3 was for years used by top pros for all sorts of end result, magazines, billboards, weddings, commercials, etc
And they're both 12 megapixels like the a7S

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I think the delay in the A7Siii is obvious: the expectations/market has moved in a direction that outpaced Sony's tech and they're playing catch up. Last year was a huge year. Panasonic was still riding that GH5 wave for most of the year, until they announced their full frame camera. The full frame mirrorless announcements from Nikon and Canon. Nikon and Fuji made HUGE steps in their video capabilities. At the beginning of the year the A7III looked like a real impressive camera (and it still is despite its flaws) but by the end of 2018, not so much. Heck, the GH5s, and all of the new full frame mirrorless cameras even made their low light performance look less impressive: maybe not as good, but definitely in the ballpark. 

In a sense, they're probably not lying by saying that it's simple to add 4K/60p but to DO 4k/60p with their current mirrorless tech probably isn't so simple without overheating. The longer they wait though the bigger the expectations are going to be. It's not an enviable position to be in. At this point they're going to need to release something ground breaking because they've got a lot of companies gunning for them, and they're all very capable foes. 

Nailed it