Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

Anyone with a Canon RP that can shoot some HD and share the file? Or anyone seen any HD samples online from someone that knows what they are doing?

I need to buy a b-camera for work. Will be used a lot for video so the R is still the perfect match from what I've seen. But the RP seems to have the same readout as the R with absolutely no rolling shutter as well as the in body stabilization and of course the colors. 

But I wonder if it's the same HD file as the 6Dmkii? If so I might as well go for the 6Dmkii or another R. Curious to see if the new processor has stepped it up.

I've searched but not found much HD footage. Anyone else seen any or have the camera?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Anyone with a Canon RP that can shoot some HD and share the file? Or anyone seen any HD samples online from someone that knows what they are doing?

I need to buy a b-camera for work. Will be used a lot for video so the R is still the perfect match from what I've seen. But the RP seems to have the same readout as the R with absolutely no rolling shutter as well as the in body stabilization and of course the colors. 

But I wonder if it's the same HD file as the 6Dmkii? If so I might as well go for the 6Dmkii or another R. Curious to see if the new processor has stepped it up.

I've searched but not found much HD footage. Anyone else seen any or have the camera?

In body stabilization? Only digital one with more crop, no IBIS.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Cool, given that its been severely cropped and still remain some detail it looks good. 

15 minutes ago, liork said:

In body stabilization? Only digital one with a more crop, no IBIS.

Yes, I love it. Dead silent, no wobble and I don't have to remember to turn it off. The crop is negligible, intercuts nicely with FS7 4K.
I really hope the manufactures keep advancing EIS because it was nice on the 6Dmkii and really nice on the R. 

Either way I have decided to get another R instead of the RP simply because I do use the 8fps shooting mode sometime. I often don't use CAF so the 5fps on the RP is plenty. But using CAF in 8fps with an awesome hit rate on the R, in raw, with what feels like an unlimited buffer has saved me many times already. Might as well dubble up on that feature.

So thanks anyway!

(Still might get an RP for private use since I miss the 6Dmkii image and would love to try my medium format speed booster on it.)

BTW here is an EOS-R video a fellow shared in the R FB-group. All handheld with the 35mm f1.8 and just the lens IS. A good option if one is afraid of the negligible crop EIS gives at the normal setting. And given how many EF lenses have great IS.. plenty of stabilization to go around imo.

Max did RP vs A6400, colour wise RP is much better, the A6400 got funky ass colour and zombie skintone at 4min mark, 1080P RP is much less jaggy than A6400 and more detailed, but 4K A6400 is much better for detail and low iso and AF. And DR is better on Sony thanks to slog/hlg profile.

Everyday Dad also did A6400 & RP

19 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Hey @Mattias Burling, I shot a comprehensive image test with the Canon RP. If you want, I can send you some original footage.

I don't have any footage of the 6D MKII to compare it to but I have the feeling it is not going to be much different.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Julian Krause said:

Hey @Mattias Burling, I shot a comprehensive image test with the Canon RP. If you want, I can send you some original footage.

I don't have any footage of the 6D MKII to compare it to but I have the feeling it is not going to be much different.

Yeah if you could send a one or two clips of HD that would be extremely appreciated. Maybe of a person from portrait distance? But I would be happy with anything. Thanks!

(The natural picture profile is the one I use on the R and would match it to.)

• 7 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Mattias Burling said:

get on it first thing in the morning.

Hey Mattias. What were your impressions on the RP compared to the eos R? (video and photo) Since it now has 24fps in hd, I'm interested on it as a A cam for stills and video. No log is what is kind of holding me down. The price is tempting though. Cheers