Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ahh the old my smartphone can take the same pictures as any camera argument. That's why all pro shooter's have switched to smartphones ?

Regarding DR it's probably like the 6Dmkii which has excellent DR. My take, a shooter that can't get great looking images with either camera needs to get to work. Because it's not the camera that sucks..

Nice one, how many pros switch to a shitty canon rp? 6d ii has excellent dr? Compared to what? A toaster oven? There are many situations where you have to shoot backlit for example; you don't always have the luxury to bracket. If you are a jpg hero, maybe you won't notice a difference. It is the fact that the a7 ii is $300 less, has ibis, much better dr etc. That camera was released 5 years ago and canon still can't beat it?! They could make a decent modern camera, but why would they when fools will buy decade old technology for higher prices? They wouldn't even put 24p in it! You can make excuses for canon all you want, but I won't. If I wanted to waste $1,300, I would throw it on red in Vegas.

The Canon is for winners would make a could marketing campaign, you should pitch it to Canon DBounce!

I think the argument for the prosumer hybrid canon cameras is its a path to upgrade. These type of bodies are cheap and lose their value quick, but the lenses can go onto a better body later. Some of the older Canon bodies are also worthwhile for those who want RAW video, like the 5D3, but that has nothing to do with the EOS RP. 

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Nice one, how many pros switch to a shitty canon rp? 6d ii has excellent dr? Compared to what? A toaster oven? There are many situations where you have to shoot backlit for example; 

Like I said. If you don't know how to properly expose in those situations without resorting to bracketing or flash then I'm sorry, a new camera isn't going to help you. You need to practice instead of buying stuff.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:19 PM, webrunner5 said:

I don't think NASA has used a Nikon camera since the film days of the F4. Now they use a Panasonic camcorder it looks like. I am sure they use other brands though, maybe Nikon still? Can't find much New info. All the photos of the Astronauts are using REALLY old cameras that I have found.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/974.html

NASA uses Nikon. I think since the F3. I have seen footage from the space station with D3 and D4. They just bought a ton of Nikon D5.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/25/nasa-just-ordered-53-nikon-d5-dslrs/

Also, food for thought, why would NASA use the lower resolution and heavier D5 when the D850 has such amazing specs?

Each gram brought is pricey on a space ship.

Reliability, robustness and handling.

OK after some misplaced excitement due to early spec leaks - it's pretty clear the EOS-RP is not going to be of much interest to most of us here who want a hybrid camera for decent video as well as stills. It just seems to have got us all snarling at each other

For me if they had just added 8 bit c-log at FHD which was sharp enough to cut nicely with C100 then I would be interested. 4k and 10 bit would be lovely but Canon don't like to give you what you want or even what its competitors give you. But I would overlook all that for decent FHD with c-log. Feel like I've been waiting 5 years for Canon to give me a b cam to my c100 at a decent price but still hasn't happened

I realise the EOS-R has that but for me it is way too expensive with such a crippled 4k - crop and bad RS. At that price I would also want 10 bit internal. Maybe there is room for a more video oriented budget camera that sits between the EOS-RP and EOS-R. For my needs anyway

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

OK after some misplaced excitement due to early spec leaks - it's pretty clear the EOS-RP is not going to be of much interest to most of us here who want a hybrid camera for decent video as well as stills. It just seems to have got us all snarling at each other

For me if they had just added 8 bit c-log at FHD which was sharp enough to cut nicely with C100 then I would be interested. 4k and 10 bit would be lovely but Canon don't like to give you what you want or even what its competitors give you. But I would overlook all that for decent FHD with c-log. Feel like I've been waiting 5 years for Canon to give me a b cam to my c100 at a decent price but still hasn't happened

I realise the EOS-R has that but for me it is way too expensive with such a crippled 4k - crop and bad RS. At that price I would also want 10 bit internal. Maybe there is room for a more video oriented budget camera that sits between the EOS-RP and EOS-R. For my needs anyway

Most buy 80D to match with their C100mkII.

I am still waiting for a modern C100mkiii, but it seems like that never going to happen. At the time that the C100 will offer low bitrate 8bit 4K, everyone and their mothers will have a way to offer raw.

13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Most buy 80D to match with their C100mkII.

I am still waiting for a modern C100mkiii, but it seems like that never going to happen. At the time that the C100 will offer low bitrate 8bit 4K, everyone and their mothers will have a way to offer raw.

I've got the eos m50 which has slightly sharper hd than the usual Canon dslr mush but still looks very soft when I cut with the c100, and the limited dr and lack of c-log or wdr, zebras and waveform is frustrating. Would be happy with an updated version of the m50 - bit sharper and with c-log, am ok with crop camera for stills 

4 hours ago, ade towell said:

I've got the eos m50 which has slightly sharper hd than the usual Canon dslr mush but still looks very soft when I cut with the c100, and the limited dr and lack of c-log or wdr, zebras and waveform is frustrating. Would be happy with an updated version of the m50 - bit sharper and with c-log, am ok with crop camera for stills 

I am also looking for the same, EOS R is the best for now, but too expensive for my wallet, so a new m50 in the short time, or a drop in EOS R price....

Reason why Canon wins is cause people are lazy and prefer convenience. I look at the footage that I shoot from my Canon 80D and Fuji X-H1. I love the eterna profile and it's just much nicer, but truth be told, you don't need to do much with the Canon video and it is good enough. Even if the video is a bit mushy, I don't have to tweak the colors. Intercutting Canon footage with my ENG Panny is a cinch. The colors are very similar. I could not intercut the footage from my Sony a6500 so easily. BUT SERIOUSLY, even if I had the cash, I wouldn't pull the trigger on the c200 :(...  Canon finds a way to cripple it too. No DPAF if you're doing 120FPS, which negates buying it if you're a solo operator running a Ronin with it.

9 hours ago, Django said:

https://***URL removed***/news/3598229881/nasa-astronaut-drew-feustel-explains-how-he-captured-racetrack-images-from-space

It seems the NASA astronauts use whatever tool is best for the job or maybe just whatever they prefer. Hmm, what a concept!

52 minutes ago, mat33 said:

It makes perfect sense for NASA to use Canon cameras because astronauts are winners and we all know that winners use Canon cameras ?

Probably NASA astronauts are lazy and never read the spects sheet, only looked the final image and choose what they think is the best image for them, really stupid people.....how can they shoose image perception over spects sheet?

There is also a Sony a7S II on the ISS, so this automatically means that Sony's cams are the best in the universe. Now we just need to compile a list of cameras that are not used in the ISS so we can avoid these non-worthy brands. See what I did there with your moronic discussion?

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/27/theres-sony-a7s-ii-outside-iss-capturing-earth-4k/