Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

12 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I can count the pros I've come across not shooting CaNikon for stills on one hand. And I'm one of them, so maybe four in total when excluding myself.

The other week I was going through my IG feed and saw an amazing video... from the hashtags I realized it was shot on a C100 Mark I. This guy seems to shoot on anything and everything according to the project requirements but still has his personal C100 that is 6-7 years old and still puts out amazing results with it and even more importantly for him... makes money... by now it’s all profit since that camera was paid for 6-7 years ago. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think NASA has used a Nikon camera since the film days of the F4. Now they use a Panasonic camcorder it looks like. I am sure they use other brands though, maybe Nikon still? Can't find much New info. All the photos of the Astronauts are using REALLY old cameras that I have found.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/974.html

They used Sony camcorders on the Shuttle and you can buy a mission flown one here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-SHUTTLE-STS-112-FLOWN-CAMERA-NASA-With-COA-HISTORICAL-RARE/153362548148?hash=item23b51ec5b4:g:Gv8AAOSwdIFX1xwI

I wonder what people who like to moan about gimbal shots being too floaty think about shots taken in actual zero gravity?

"I find the shots they're getting from it to be a bit too gimbally for my tastes".

3 hours ago, Castorp said:

Wow somebody wrote a silly comment about Canon and Apple users being for art snobs and suddenly the Canon people are losing it? hahaha If anything many artists don't care too much about what they're using and just go ahead and make the work. Cameras are being used over years and years and insecurity isn't  projected into what camera is being used and the need to have "the best". The Canon RP looks to be a great camera making great work. Canon's are great. I've never liked the colour or lenses myself but sure wish I did. Sigh, condemned to being a loser I guess *shrugs* As is poor loser-NASA and countless other institutions that rely on, for example, Nikon. 

They say the truth hurts.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

The other week I was going through my IG feed and saw an amazing video... from the hashtags I realized it was shot on a C100 Mark I. This guy seems to shoot on anything and everything according to the project requirements but still has his personal C100 that is 6-7 years old and still puts out amazing results with it and even more importantly for him... makes money... by now it’s all profit since that camera was paid for 6-7 years ago. 

The C100 still produces great looking images, both in it's own merits as well as compared to newer gear. Very tempted by the used prices these days. What keeps me away is that my R also has a really nice C-log image but FF with stabilization and soon built in variable ND. Would love to have the XPRs though.

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The C100 still produces great looking images, both in it's own merits as well as compared to newer gear. Very tempted by the used prices these days. What keeps me away is that my R also has a really nice C-log image but FF with stabilization and soon built in variable ND. Would love to have the XPRs though.

I must admit, I’ve been tempted by the R but until I finish a couple of these films I’m working on, a new camera would probably spend too much time on the shelf. FF 1080p with DPAF and C-Log sounds pretty awesome though. Have you done much video with it? I’d love to see something like that old NX1 video you shot years ago.

Btw, how is the DPAF with the 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8?

To add, yeah the prices on the C100 are at a stupid price. I saw one sell with less than 50 hours for $810. If I hadn’t already bought a lens that week, I may have bid on it. 

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, mercer said:

I must admit, I’ve been tempted by the R but until I finish a couple of these films I’m working on, a new camera would probably spend too much time on the shelf. FF 1080p with DPAF and C-Log sounds pretty awesome though. Have you done much video with it? I’d love to see something like that old NX1 video you shot years ago.

Btw, how is the DPAF with the 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8?

To add, yeah the prices on the C100 are at a stupid price. I saw one sell with less than 50 hours for $810. If I hadn’t already bought a lens that week, I may have bid on it. 

Yes, I use it as my main video camera at work. It's perfect for it. Have shown it in huge projections intercut with the FS7. Only visible difference is the Sony colors. I haven't shot any casual video like the NX1 stuff but probably will shoot something for the speedbooster review I'm working on.

I can PM you some video examples I've done tomorrow.

So far the DPAF has worked with all my EF glass including those two. I've only used AF on one project so far, just for fun. But I might have a project with gimbal shots in the pipe.

6 hours ago, ade towell said:

No it's totally about the story. Nobody cares if one image has slightly nicer colour than another if the story isn't compelling. I haven't seen any of them but I bet all those nominated documentaries have good stories. That's what makes them successful

The people making the documentaries certainly care what the image looks like. Which is my point. The people with the talent to win choose Canon. 

Again having a Canon does not make you a winner... but clearly winners prefer Canon. 

8 hours ago, DBounce said:

The people making the documentaries certainly care what the image looks like. Which is my point. The people with the talent to win choose Canon. 

Again having a Canon does not make you a winner... but clearly winners prefer Canon. 

Sorry I thought it was obvious I was responding to your certainty that the audience prefer the imagery of Canon. I don't think that matters at all it is the story that makes films successful or not

It's probably just me but this winners prefer Canon thing you keep saying comes across like some naff marketing spiel (and I use Canon cameras)

• Super Members

Ahh the old my smartphone can take the same pictures as any camera argument. That's why all pro shooter's have switched to smartphones ?

Regarding DR it's probably like the 6Dmkii which has excellent DR. My take, a shooter that can't get great looking images with either camera needs to get to work. Because it's not the camera that sucks..

19 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I understand why a hobbyist like you would prefer Canon, or an - internet only content creator like Django, but defending the wrong choices of a manufacturer doesn't bring better cameras for all of us.

FWIW i've done work on most platforms including big screen projects. The digital content company I'm invested in uses mostly Sony (FS7) gear these days. We rent whatever fits the budget/project. I'm not brand agnostic. That said for personal ownership, Canon does make most sense for me currently: on an ecosystem level they offer DSLR/MILC/Cine bodies, and a vast range of still/cine lenses usable across them. I wish Fuji/Nikon could do the same, maybe I would switch back to them. DPAF is also the only AF i can trust as a single operator, it's kind of a big deal to me and for sure what locked me in their system for video (most cine cams have garbage AF).  I could go on about the other subjective reasons why Canon appeals to me but you've probably already heard them all!

That being said my choice of gear and "defense" of it on these forums doesn't imply Canon is the perfect company or is beyond criticism. But I do find the vehement online bashing towards them isn't always justified and doesn't really reflect itself so much in the real world, these academy award winners being the case in point, without glorifying that too much or anything..

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Look at dpreview forums on canon>r. It is infested with rp threads; the noobs are very happy to over pay for junk. This is why canon does what it does, zombies buy it anyway, just like apple when they don't innovate anymore. 

Wow you don't like Apple, Sony or Canon other than your 1Dx. You are running out of shit to buy LoL. And where to hell is that Osmo Pocket snowmobile footage! ?

3 hours ago, liork said:

Buying an EOS R/RP thinking its a "winner" camera is same like buying Peugeot 3008 thinking its the same model that won the Dakar Rally competition...

Clearly you do not understand a word that I'm saying. That's OK. Keep buying spec sheets... That "definitely" trumps output. Winner winner chicken dinner.