Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Django said:

It isn't really that simple.

Canon uses two types of lens motors STM & USM. 

On legacy EF glass, STM will give smoother & more silent AF results for video.

With RF USM they use a new nano-USM tech that gives STM like smooth & silent video AF performance. 

Now from my legacy glass adapted on EOS R experience, USM EF glass is louder & a bit less responsive than on a Canon DSLR. (YMMV depending on lens).

STM EF is about the same.

There are a few NANO-USM EF-S lenses that are the fastest and most reliable focusing Canon lenses ever build. That is why, while I do not own a Canon camera, I have purchased the Nano 18-135 to use when renting C100mkII, or others. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Have you noticed anything that would deter you from using legacy glass on the R mount? Honestly of the lenses I own the difference is near enough as makes no difference. 

Deter me probably not.. but again i've definitely noticed some differences in loudness, speed & smoothness of the AF especially with fast USM glass (F1.2/1.4).

The difference becomes more important when shooting stills imo, as all the AF points on EOS R are horizontal line type and not line & cross types like on DSLRs. (same on Z6/Z7 btw). in certain low contrast situations, it can become a real problem and i already got the AF fail red box on EOS R while my 5D nailed the shot instantaneously. this is why for me at this point mirrorless isn't yet on par with DSLRs in the most demanding of situations..

53 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

There are a few NANO-USM EF-S lenses that are the fastest and most reliable focusing Canon lenses ever build. That is why, while I do not own a Canon camera, I have purchased the Nano 18-135 to use when renting C100mkII, or others. 

a few? i've only heard of that 18-135mm & a 70-300mm EF. personally, I'm excited about the upcoming 5 new L series Nano-USM RF lenses to add to the 3 current ones.

Here it is..

canon.jpg

canon_2.jpg

26.2 Million Pixels Full Size Sensor

Dual pixel CMOS AF

DIGIC 8

Continuous shooting performance: 5 frames / sec

ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (equivalent to extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)

Organic EL EVF

3.0 type touch panel variable angle liquid crystal

Dual Sensing IS

DLO in camera, RAW development in camera, C-RAW compatible

Size: 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm

Weight: Approximately 440 g (body only), about 485 g (including batteries?)

Kit lens: RF 24 – 105 mm F 4 L IS USM

24 minutes ago, Django said:

Here it is..

canon.jpg

canon_2.jpg

26.2 Million Pixels Full Size Sensor

Dual pixel CMOS AF

DIGIC 8

Continuous shooting performance: 5 frames / sec

ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (equivalent to extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)

Organic EL EVF

3.0 type touch panel variable angle liquid crystal

Dual Sensing IS

DLO in camera, RAW development in camera, C-RAW compatible

Size: 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm

Weight: Approximately 440 g (body only), about 485 g (including batteries?)

Kit lens: RF 24 – 105 mm F 4 L IS USM

This plus the new lenses makes for an interesting option as I can get 95% of my stuff with a mix of F-2.8/4 zooms. I'm not a fan of the R outside of its grip, but if this has full DPAF capabilities in video and 10-bit through HDMI (seems like some of the R's halo features will be stripped, questions is which ones) its potentially a compelling alternative to the a73.

Chris

5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I'm not sure why everyone is certain it will have 4k? The 6DMk2 doesn't. It would seem this camera is being pitched as a stills camera, not a hybrid.

Why do you think that? We are not sure at all, as we know Canon, 1080p could be very realistic... 

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Because its 2019 ?, not saying I'd be surprised but I'll at least be optimistic.

I'll hold out optimism for the "Pro" version. Hopefully, that will have Canon's new back lit sensor tech with DPAF.... we can dream can't we?

2 minutes ago, liork said:

Why do you think that? We are not sure at all, as we know Canon, 1080p could be very realistic... 

Read the title of the thread ?

I will put out my prediction as well.... cause its fun.

Its cheaper than the EOS R.... but it will have 4K... only because after the m50, Canon said that they will start incorporating 4K in all their EOS products from there onwards.

Don't remember the source, but its floating around on the internet somewhere...

Its not going to be better than the EOS R - and its priced that way. So don't expect too much...

Editted to add: And, its pretty stupid to have a new mirrorless product thats sitting right in between the EOS R & m50 - its priced that way too.... without 4K in 2019.

6 minutes ago, Django said:

Another thing they may do is 4K without ALL-I codec & no C-log / 10bit out. DPAF really should remain. It's Canons crown jewel..

It might remain... but not in 4k. I think the "Pro" model will be the one that checks most of the boxes. It would be nice to have a mirrorless 1DXMK3 with a edit friendly codec.