Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

Canon actually anounced publicly their next RF-Camera will be a low-end model:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/01/08/wheres-canon-going-with-the-eos-r-do-they-have-a-plan

Btw: in that article canon also confirms a 8k mirrorless camera is in development (or at least on their rosdmap). 

I most definitly will skip this model (6d II sensor just doesn‘t cut it) but from their business standpoint it does indeed make sense to bring out a low end model. They want to gain marketshare in the mirrorless full-frame segment and will certainly do so with the EOS RP. More so than with an expensive pro camera. Those just don‘t sell enough. 

Would I feel tricked if I was an EOS R owner? Sure.

Is this a customer-friendly aproach? Probably not.

But still canon isn‘t really on a dive. It might just be that they do understand this business quite a bit, despite some forum-users thinking otherwise.

Face it: specs are not everything. And video specs are even less important in the full-frame segment. All those who expected a full-frame GH5 from Panasonic should know this by now.

And now let me take shelter before getting shot for writing this :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah but that is the problem Glenn. Just because it says Canon they will sell the hell out of it, you know that and I know that. It can be a total turd and it will crush anyone else in that bracket.

Fuji might as well stop making anymore X-T3's LoL.  They won't be able to give them away.

Well people can whine, hate, cry, scratch their heads all they want at Canon, they remain the number one camera company in the world so they must be doing a thing or two right!

Other than brand recognition, color science, DPAF, UI etc.. they entice users through their lens system and there are plenty of people that still want access to that L series and probably soon the evolution which is RF.

Canons objective is to sell their lenses (which are also the most sold in the world) and so indeed a lower end model is a quick priority after putting out the mid-range model..

With that perspective, I don’t really see what the big fuss is about: Canon are putting out a lower end model follow-up.

The higher-end model could be the ticket though, rumors are saying SD+CFast & joystick return.. so an improved FF 4K60p 1DX2 with C-log, 10-bit & no crop could be that no compromise Canon camera videographers have been waiting for. Start saving though ;) 

No they Use to do a thing or two right. That is the problem. The 5D mk III was the last FF camera they made that was a real effort. Class leading on the video side. They have lost most of the Pro C market now. They are just sliding down into the shitter as far as I am concerned. They have went from the best you can do mindset, to lets just push the shit out the door mindset. To me they are not the leader of anything anymore. Even the L lenses are mostly crap for the video side. EF-S lenses work better overall. They have become a 1990's company.

Well like I said YMMV lol..

I’m still choosing to stick with them as a complete eco-system (DSLR/Mirroless/Cine cam/Lenses) they are kinda still the only game in town. 

For video, the cine camera options are what guide me for A-cams and the C100/200/300II are still by far my favorite under $10K cameras.

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’m not that optimistic either, but the EOS-R, with its faults, surprised me with some of the features. We’ll know more soon enough. And we’ll probably be let down until we see real world samples and everyone goes... hmm... that does look pretty good. If it sucks, protest with your wallet. 

Right. It is very unlikely that I will buy it, unless it is better than the A7III. Of course, my use is 95% video / 5% photo, so perhaps I have an unusual perspective. I have a huge investment in Micro 4/3 equipment and glass, but I still have a fair bit of Canon glass. I regularly use the Canon glass with with a 0.71X Speedbooster on my M43 cameras. I used to love my Canon gear, but sold my last 5DMIII about a year back and have no Canon bodies left. 

I would love to have a good hybrid video camera from Canon. I could use it for the occasional product shot and still use it as a backup video camera. Unfortunately, we have switched to an all 4K 4:2:2 10-bit workflow (frequently log). With Canon, that doesn't leave me any choices. The EOS R, has bad rolling shutter, a big crop in 4K, and no IBIS.

How about Canon just makes a Full frame GH5 equivalent??  ? I can dream, right??

Canon is going to release competitive BSI sensors Next year. They are basically making mirrorless versions of their current dslr's. So that means EOS 1R in fall hopefully.

Btw, that 6d ii sensor only has around 10 stops of DR (photo) & much worse IQ in video than a 5d (proven in many videos). I also fully expect it to have colored banding in photo/video like the eos r. 

3 hours ago, Django said:

The higher-end model could be the ticket though, rumors are saying SD+CFast & joystick return.. so an improved FF 4K60p 1DX2 with C-log, 10-bit & no crop could be that no compromise Canon camera videographers have been waiting for. Start saving though ;) 

Yes, that’s the list... add to that a flippy screen and I’m in. But... this is Canon... sooooo... they’re gonna leave something out. It’s their way. And it will be something we all reeeeaaallly wanted in there. We can only hope they have learned.

I'm consistently pretty baffled that a camera manufacturer can't seem to do the obvious: basically, create a lens and mount eco-system across 3-4 different cameras from higher-end cinema down to pro mirrorless. Canon has a HUGE opportunity this year with the new RF mount, two new R bodies coming, both the C100 and C300 due for updates, a potential XC-15 with a interchangeable lens mount (probably RF). That's a lot on the roadmap and could be amazing if they don't cripple three out of four cameras.

I'm still looking for an ecosystem that has 3-4 different camera sizes, all the same mount, same color/codecs, from same manufacturer. Panasonic has 4 different mounts over their 4 different camera levels (MFT, L-Mount Full Frame, EF mini cinema, and PL for Varicam)... bit of a mess for trying to build a system.

Please:
- A higher-end cinema camera with top level specs (FS7, C300, Varicam, etc) 
- A mid level mini-cinema camera (FS5 sized or slightly smaller - maybe like an XC-15 RF or a beefier X-H1 with internal NDs and a couple mini XLRs)
- A high-end mirrorless for gimbal

All the same mount. All the same lenses. All the same sensor size. Come on. 

Fuji has a huge opportunity, I think, to release a $5-6k mini cinema camera. They're the ONLY manufacturer that has a great lens lineup specifically made for Super35mm. Even though Canon has tons of Super35mm/APS-C cameras, their professional lens lineup for the system is sad. Even their fastest/best lens for the system (the 17-55mm f2.8) vignettes at DCI 4k.

But, if Canon can bring out a C100III with the 4K 10-bit 422 up to 60fps that the C200 didn't have (and leave that a raw camera), a EOS 1R with the same codec and no crop in full-frame, plus a 6-8k C300III (as a way to differentiate it as high-end), then they would once again have the best top to bottom lineup. 

Who gives a damn about canon here? The R was just a bad joke, this RiP will be a reheated 6DII with late 2000 sensor tech. It just becomes entertaining at this point to see how they continue screw up. But why would they change? They propose outdated products at premium price and they fly of the shelves. They make good margins and sales with minimal efforts so there is no reasons to stop. Good for them.

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

Fuji has a huge opportunity, I think, to release a $5-6k mini cinema camera. They're the ONLY manufacturer that has a great lens lineup specifically made for Super35mm. Even though Canon has tons of Super35mm/APS-C cameras, their professional lens lineup for the system is sad. Even their fastest/best lens for the system (the 17-55mm f2.8) vignettes at DCI 4k.

EF-S is not Canon's Super35 4K ready professional lens lineup, this is:

PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SOLUTIONS | CINEMA LENSES

Very expensive for the most part but you can always rent.

There are also many EF Super35 cine lens options from the top third-parties (Zeiss, Xeen etc) .

Sony E-mount also have a good range of pro cine native & third party lenses.

Fuji's X-mount only has two MK pro cine zoom lenses. The regular photo lenses aren't that great for video imo (pulling focus manually isn't easy).

It would be nice of course if they did develop a cine cam and added some fast cine primes to MK series.

1 hour ago, OliKMIA said:

Who gives a damn about canon here? The R was just a bad joke, this RiP will be a reheated 6DII with late 2000 sensor tech. It just becomes entertaining at this point to see how they continue screw up. But why would they change? They propose outdated products at premium price and they fly of the shelves. They make good margins and sales with minimal efforts so there is no reasons to stop. Good for them.

True, at this point its just hilarious. The last relavant release from Canon was the 5Dmkiii. Feels like every thread even remotly related to Canon is full of people trying to justify why they still shoot that brand.

Do what ever the fck you wanna do with your money, just don't come back here complain due to intentional product crippling. 

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

This is daytime robbery.  I agree 100% with your article @Andrew Reid

I think you got auto-corrected - didn't you mean to say "standard marketing"...?

It's basic economics.  Companies will push and push until certain limits are met, and the phrase for this is "what the market can bear" - not "what the market gets mildly annoyed at" or "what the market would like if it's Christmas".  Saying "what the market can bear" is basically like saying "what you can get away with before the average person goes completely f*cking nuts".

We talk about these companies like they're people, and that's fine.  The problem is that we don't analyse them like people.  There was a great documentary series called The Corporation in which an psychology professor who consults for the FBI "compares the profile of the contemporary profitable business corporation to that of a clinically diagnosed psychopath". (link)

Besides, I called it September last year when I said "The best new camera purchase in 2018 is... Don't!" ???

I think it is very clear the direction that Canon is taking.

They have already indicated that they are not optimistic about the overall direction of the market (expecting ti to halve over the next few years.) So they are very unlikely to invest heavily in r&d for ILCs.

Their strategy seems to be to use the business as a cash cow offering very competitively priced ILCs (ie relatively cheap compared to their competitors) but which tend to fall a little short in a specs comparison.

And this seems to be working out well for them - consumers seem more price sensitive than spec sensitive. A good example would be the latest data out of Japan which shows that Canon is easily the market leader in 'mirrorless' despite being late into FF and offering relatively uninspired APSC product.

https://petapixel.com/2019/01/15/canon-1-in-both-dslr-and-mirrorless-sales-in-japan-in-2018/

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Speaking of the R, this is an interesting video on it. and WTF on that lens!

The problem is too many people just go by the spec sheet. I don’t think anyone goes to the movies and gives a dam if the camera used was FF, S35, M43 or S16... they just watch the movie. Granted they notice how filmic it looks or doesn’t. Though they do this subconsciously. Just as they will notice cinematography.

The EOS R is a great camera. A better tool for the job than Sony, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus. Far more usable than P4k... because it requires so little to use effectively. You do not even need to grade... you can shoot with baked in colors and be happy all day.

It fashionable to knock Canon, but getting good results with the EOS R is painless. And when all is said and done, isn’t that what it’s all about?