Canon EOS RP specs leaked, features 26MP sensor and 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting analysis. The way I see it, Canon released their 2 cameras, like Nikon and Panasonic did, just not on the same day. But instead of catering to the professional market with one model and the semi pro with the second model, Canon went semi pro with the R and the enthusiast with the RP.

Obviously, it’s way too early to tell, but the RP could be the “video” model in the same way the Z6 is the video model for Nikon. The real question for me is... does Canon give us Canon Log in the RP? If history tells us anything, then NO. If Canon is following what their competitors are doing, then it should be a resounding YES! But most likely Canon Log will only be available for export, if available at all. That’s not a deal breaker since there are so many picture profiles available for Canon cameras.

I’ve said in the past that I think Canon built a lens system first and threw a camera together to introduce that system. Whereas Nikon built the camera system first. Also remember that even though the EOS-R is a new model, it was still last year’s model.

If Andrew is right Canon Needs to go out of business. Why the hell did they even bring the EOS-R out? Boy they sure are a goofball company as of late. The whole board of directors must all be 90 years old or better. If you have bought a Canon 6D mk II or an EOS-R you have just been screwed if true.

This is daytime robbery.  I agree 100% with your article @Andrew Reid

Let's have a mid-camera first, that most Canon-lovers will buy (pro's, as a B/C camera or a Canon mirrorless body to accompany their 5D'es), and the "smaller" guys, that were waiting for years, to buy a "modern" mirrorless went out of their ways (and their wallets) to buy the mythical first Canon full frame mirrorless.

Now, the smaller guys will cry for their money, and the pros will do in a few months, when Canon will release a proper pro mirrorless.

What a way to waste resources, and what a wasted opportunity..

Another shock to the C200 owners, will be, when the new C cameras arrives sooner or later (C100mkIII and probably a new RF C camera).

The whole situation reminds me a bit of Brexit; with these last moves, both the UK and Canon are loosing what professional integrity had left. A lot  will take their businesses elsewhere.

Maybe Canon were predicting their decline a few days earlier..

Wait & see, unless I missed something all the rumors said was 26MP & no touchbar.

But Canon isn’t silly, they know how to segment and are not going to give a lower end model better (video) specs than the R.

The 26MP is probably the same 26MP sensor as in the 6D2 (just like the 30MP on the R echoes the 5DIV).

So what does this indicate? Probably no 4K! Or maybe 4K with no DPAF (a la M50)

Other possible limitations could be: 

No touchbar, no flip-out screen, no top LCD, no C-Log, no ALL-I codec, no 10-bit out, less AF points, less DR.. etc

Again I highly doubt the RP will have anything better for video than the R.

Canon are just applying the same formula & release strategy than their 6D, 5D, 1DX2 FF models imo: mid market first, then lower end, then pro.

Plenty to hate about Canon but nobody is going to end up crying.. you guys sure like to jump the gun!

3 minutes ago, Django said:

Wait & see, unless I missed something all the rumors said was 26MP & no touchbar.

But Canon isn’t silly, they know how to segment and are not going to give a lower end model better (video) specs than the R.

The 26MP is probably the same 26MP sensor as in the 6D2 (just like the 30MP on the R echoes the 5DIV).

So what does this indicate? Probably no 4K! Or maybe 4K with no DPAF (a la M50)

Other possible limitations could be: 

No touchbar, no flip-out screen, no top LCD, no C-Log, no ALL-I codec, no 10-bit out, less AF points, less DR.. etc

Again I highly doubt the RP will have anything better for video than the R.

..and is this a good thing, why exactly?

Oh, I get it..you mean that this will be the only way you won't feel cheated by Canon.

Instead of internal competition for the worst product and product placement, it should be better to open your eyes and see what the competion offers in 2019, and not 4 years ago.

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

So Canon is taking the specs of the what most would agree was the weakest camera introduced last year for video and make it even weaker. I argue they should have just lowered the EOS-R to this price and called it a day.

At the end of the day, IQ is all that matters and I can’t say that the EOS-R has the worst IQ of any camera released last year. I like the image from the Z6 but I think the EOS-R has it beat... same with the a7iii. In fact, I’d say the X-T3 is the only image that rivals it for pure IQ from last year’s options... not including P4K. 

No DCI 4K 4096 x 2160m, MP4 video format older than the hills, not 4K 60p, no 1080p high Slow Mo over 60p, crop from hell in 4K, GH5s has the same sized sensor in 4K, no IBIS, on and on. Oh, but it has a Lovely IQ. Yeah and it's worth 1695.00 bucks. Heck the M50 has a Lovely IQ. Its like 600 bucks.

And what does the X-T3 cost? It is even less than this new one will be. Crazy.

Indeed EOS R IQ is what keeps me happy, Canon still provide the most robust FF internal codec and DPAF is still king of the hill. 

Z6 can’t even do internal log and when you go external the AF goes haywire so that’s a major fail IMO.

A73? Solid specs but painful shooting experience & post can be a PITA.

GH5S? Wack AF. Poor choice for stills.

P4K: No AF. No stills.

XT3. Now that’s a dope camera. Better hope not to get a lemon though. 

YMMV of course and I’m probably biased.

Anyways maybe I’m wrong about the “RP”. Really isn’t much info on it yet. Canon could surprise us in a desperate attempt to regain some shares in the video market.

28 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

So Canon is taking the specs of the what most would agree was the weakest camera introduced last year for video and make it even weaker. I argue they should have just lowered the EOS-R to this price and called it a day.

The Canon 6D Mark II caps out at 1080p / 60 on video. *Surely* Canon wouldn't release an enthusiast camera in 2019 that only recorded 1080p...would they?

Although, Canon recently released the M50 and it only does 4K @ 23.97, has terrible rolling shutter, a big crop, and AF doesn't work very well in 4K... I have a bunch of Canon glass and would love for them to introduce a good camera for video. With their recent track record, I can't say that I am optimistic :)

We already have the A7III, Z6, S1, and the others above the EOS R & RP in price and the Sony A6400 / 6500, & Fuji below them in price. It might make sense for Canon to introduce the R & RP cameras, with those features, at those prices in isolation, but there is some pretty stiff competition out there...

Well they may surprise the heck out of us but that would surely throw the people under the bus on the EOS-R. I just don't see how they can bring a camera out that is 700 dollars less and it be worth buying. It's crazy.

Now if it has a APSC sized sensor in it, sure that works, but..

I’m not that optimistic either, but the EOS-R, with its faults, surprised me with some of the features. We’ll know more soon enough. And we’ll probably be let down until we see real world samples and everyone goes... hmm... that does look pretty good. If it sucks, protest with your wallet.