Canon is about to release a new FF mirrorless for 1599$?

heart0less

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, heart0less said:

https://www.canonwatch.com/canons-next-eos-r-model-is-entry-level-costs-1600-and-has-one-card-slot-announcement-feb-14/

Considering that EOS R wasn't that good spec wise (but many people still enjoy it), I'm really curious, what could they offer in a 1600$ package? 

Specs mean little. I can tell you that the EOS R is a great camera. After comparing to the top contenders from Sony and Nikon, it is the most organic/filmic of the lot. You need to stop thinking in terms of specs and start evaluating on the the basis of image quality, easy of use, reliability etc...

As for what will be released... word on the street is a 26MP sensor based camera.

14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Specs mean little. I can tell you that the EOS R is a great camera. After comparing to the top contenders from Sony and Nikon, it is the most organic/filmic of the lot. You need to stop thinking in terms of specs and start evaluating on the the basis of image quality, easy of use, reliability etc...

True that. 

Canon still knows how to deliver the secret sauce. 

I went the Sony way and even though it felt good on paper, I realized it lacked something (at least for me). 

Well... seems kind of unusual...

What is the list price on the 6D II ??? BandH says it is on sale until Feb 2nd for 1,299 US but that sale is supposed to end today and it is listed as regularly at $1,799

The MSRP of 6D II at release time of July 2017 was $1,999

The EOS R is currently $2,299

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Probably won't have 4K or DPAF. You have to cut corners some place. It will be a 6D mk I in a mirrorless body.

I think you might be on to something here.

Yeah but that would not be the worse thing. You would have the Canon CS, all the lens availability, and a FF camera, etc. I mean the original 6D was, and still is a pretty decent camera. A lot of people even VLog with the MK II version. But seeing how you can still buy the Sony a7 for like 899 bucks or less new it seems like price gouging LoL.

It’s getting interesting... I’ll keep the EOS R until the “Pro” version comes out. I personally like having the extra MP sensor. I dislike the new trend of having to choose between higher MP or better video quality. 40MP is divisible by the 8MPs required for 4K video also.

As good as the image is on the EOS R, I just don't see how it's a practical camera with that big crop and slow readout, unless you're on a planned shoot where you purposely take the required lenses. I won't take this product line seriously until they remove the crop and also improve the battery life.

The way I see EOS R is a great 30MP FF stills & FF FHD camera with a cropped 4K mode. 

I rarely shoot 4K handheld on any camera so it’s mono/tripod/gimbal for 4K which tend to minimize RS.

Unless you need ultra wide angles something like the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 works great for standard needs in 4K. 

Then my 50mm primes turn into 85’s..etc

Not trying to make any excuses for Canon, I’d love no crop / good RS in 4K but I guess you just learn to workaround issues.. while we await the higher end model!

I do understand though why other system users wouldn’t fathom switching given the limitations. 

The battery life is pretty good though, close to DSLR. With the grip and 2 batteries fitted I haven’t run into any problems even on full day shoot.

3 hours ago, Inazuma said:

As good as the image is on the EOS R, I just don't see how it's a practical camera with that big crop and slow readout.

Practical...? It’s the most practical camera I have owned. Weighs  nothing... High res sensor... flippy screen... uses SD cards... Sets up in a breeze. Turn it on  and it does it’s thing all day long. No worries at all.

As for rolling shutter... unless you constantly shoot with wip pans it’s a non issue. 

Here is an example of something I frequently use the EOS R for... it sits on my motion controller, acting as the B-cam to my C200. You’ll notice in the image that while we own the follow-focus, we never bother to use manual lenses; preferring to instead use the focus module to control the zoom ring... which works amazingly. We can only afford to do this as the AF on the EOS R is rock solid. So much so, that it makes zero sense to use the focus module to control focus. I call that immensely practical. For reference, there is not another camera outside of the Canon family that we would feel comfortable enough to use in this manner.

664AF1D5-47F6-4A0A-A171-93AB516D984C.jpeg

7D7600A2-27E9-4512-9B67-57FDD9375E0D.jpeg

18 hours ago, DBounce said:

Practical...? It’s the most practical camera I have owned. Weighs  nothing... High res sensor... flippy screen... uses SD cards... Sets up in a breeze. Turn it on  and it does it’s thing all day long. No worries at all.

As for rolling shutter... unless you constantly shoot with wip pans it’s a non issue. 

Here is an example of something I frequently use the EOS R for... it sits on my motion controller, acting as the B-cam to my C200. You’ll notice in the image that while we own the follow-focus, we never bother to use manual lenses; preferring to instead use the focus module to control the zoom ring... which works amazingly. We can only afford to do this as the AF on the EOS R is rock solid. So much so, that it makes zero sense to use the focus module to control focus. I call that immensely practical. For reference, there is not another camera outside of the Canon family that we would feel comfortable enough to use in this manner.

Uses SD cards? HOLY SHIT take my money ?

Look, you do you. That's fine :) For me it's a no

On 2/3/2019 at 2:58 AM, heart0less said:

https://www.canonwatch.com/canons-next-eos-r-model-is-entry-level-costs-1600-and-has-one-card-slot-announcement-feb-14/

Considering that EOS R wasn't that good spec wise (but many people still enjoy it), I'm really curious, what could they offer in a 1600$ package? 

Remove 4K? I wouldn't put it past Canon....

Ditch the EVF? :-o

24megapixel ish sensor. 

No headphone or even mic jack??