Giving the BMPCC4K the same look as the BMPCC and BMMCC

kye

21 hours ago, kye said:

And it's smooth to edit with?  That's pretty nice.  Are the standard flavours of RAW also fine to edit with, or just BRAW?

I don't know about full RAW but 3:1 is a dream in Resolve too. Meanwhile I was given a job that was a mixture of Sony A7SII and Fuji Xt3 and my MacPro choked on it. It was horrible.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

In my searches for vintage lenses to make my GH5 more organic looking I came upon the Contax Zeiss lenses, and then yesterday I found this video...

It's basically the dream team of organic classic aesthetic - Contax Zeiss primes, BMPCC, Metabones SB, Tiffen Variable ND.

Personally I think one of the lenses is a bit soft for my tastes, but overall it isn't bad.  [Edit: actually I think the softness is a combination of missing focus and stopping down too much, so not the lenses].

I've seen better BMPCC videos (lots of talented people used that camera) but overall it should be positively dripping with the look we're chasing.  

Thoughts?

I love me the Contax Zeiss lenses. Had a set of f/2.8s already (representing the Distagons are the 25, 28mm and 35mm. Then there’s the Tessar 45mm (which kinda is a pancake lens). For a bit more reach the Sonnar 85mm and 135mm), except for the 50mm which is a Planar f/1.4. Just a few days ago I've gotten a super mint and boxed condition 28mm f/2 'Hollywood' in to really bring the Contax Zeiss-theme home. A bit harder is completing a Summicron-R set, of which I only have the Leica Summicron-R 35 and 50mm f/2 E55 ('Leica' badged, but can be found cheaper as Leitz, Leitz Canada or Leitz-Wetzlar editions). Of course you can go the opposite direction with e.g. a set of Pentax Takumars, Canon FDs or Nikon Ai(-s). Or what a lot of us here love as well, Russian Zenit primes... think: HELIOS, JUPITER, INDUSTAR, MIR & TAIR ones. So much love for vintage lenses. Built like tanks back in the day and so full of character. And... might be more interesting to buy an oldschool 50mm for under a hundo than one of the new ones that costs you a kidney. There's still great stuff to read up on:  https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/ , I implore you to check it out!

E.g. not the sharpest, but look at that mojo...

19 hours ago, kye said:

In my searches for vintage lenses to make my GH5 more organic looking I came upon the Contax Zeiss lenses, and then yesterday I found this video...

It's basically the dream team of organic classic aesthetic - Contax Zeiss primes, BMPCC, Metabones SB, Tiffen Variable ND.

Personally I think one of the lenses is a bit soft for my tastes, but overall it isn't bad.  [Edit: actually I think the softness is a combination of missing focus and stopping down too much, so not the lenses].

I've seen better BMPCC videos (lots of talented people used that camera) but overall it should be positively dripping with the look we're chasing.  

Thoughts?

Really beautiful images with the worst song possible. I thought a window had popped up in the background somewhere. 

The original bmpcc can be made to look like a Arri or Red at 1080p. 

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Really beautiful images with the worst song possible. I thought a window had popped up in the background somewhere. 

The original bmpcc can be made to look like a Arri or Red at 1080p. 

Yup, it reminds me of movies I grew up watching from the 70s and 80s. And yeah I remember now why I watch a lot of these videos with the volume down. 

Btw, congrats on your Vimeo Staff Pick... is this your second one?

I can second the contax zeiss love, they are absolutely fantastic. I started with the 50mm planar f1.7 and was so in love with the look I had to get more. 

I have since snagged minty copies of the 85mm 1.4 as well as the more compact 85mm 2.8, along with the 60mm macro f2.8, which is a joy to use. But my favorite of all the contax zeiss lenses, by far, which basically lives on my camera, is the 35-70mm f3.4. Gorgeous lens, great range, the push/pull and smooth, long focus throw is very handy for run and gun, and I am just in love with the look. 

I keep going back and forth on picking up the 35mm 1.4. It's the most expensive of the CZ's and costs a pretty penny, but I'm very, very tempted. 

On 2/15/2019 at 6:07 PM, kye said:

Thoughts?

I love this look. BTW, had a little delay as weather, deadlines and more work piled up on me. I'll do my best to shoot our comparison shots this week after work.

3 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

I love this look. BTW, had a little delay as weather, deadlines and more work piled up on me. I'll do my best to shoot our comparison shots this week after work.

No rush!  There are higher priorities and hopefully what we learn here will be useful for a long time to come :)

8 hours ago, Parker said:

But my favorite of all the contax zeiss lenses, by far, which basically lives on my camera, is the 35-70mm f3.4. Gorgeous lens, great range, the push/pull and smooth, long focus throw is very handy for run and gun, and I am just in love with the look. 

There is a lot of love for that lens around the place - this guy for example:

I may be in the market for a ~35-50mm CZ, but this one is too slow for me unfortunately - it's not a bokeh thing, it's a low light thing, otherwise I would have bought one already!!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

I may be in the market for a ~35-50mm CZ, but this one is too slow for me unfortunately - it's not a bokeh thing, it's a low light thing, otherwise I would have bought one already!!

I have a C/Y to EF adapter so I can use my 35-70 (and other Contax lenses obviously!) via a speed booster on MFT to help things along speed wise.

DSC02848.thumb.jpg.5c21329f2a2754f1b8dc9a40143464fb.jpg

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Do your Contax Zeiss lenses work on the SB I heard some people had to file down parts at the back of the lens?

That's my 35-70mm in the picture so that one definitely works ;)

The other ones I have are

• 28mm f2.8
  • 50mm f1.7
  • 85mm f1.4
  • 135mm f2.8
  • 28-85mm f3.3-f4

I've got no problems with any of them on the Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x or the Aputure DEC Lens Regain.

I'm wondering whether there may be issues with other types of focal reducer ?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have a C/Y to EF adapter so I can use my 35-70 (and other Contax lenses obviously!) via a speed booster on MFT to help things along speed wise.

DSC02848.thumb.jpg.5c21329f2a2754f1b8dc9a40143464fb.jpg

Yeah, that helps.

I've really benefitted from the F0.95 of my Voigtlander and the F2.0 on the Helios (which now that I am using a SB with it is equivalent to F1.4) so there's still one or two stops difference.  It's great to be shooting things like city lights at night and looking through the viewfinder and seeing the focus peaking highlighting the ISO noise and then opening the aperture on the lens and watching the noise disappear and the colours come to life with just the twist of a dial.

It really looks like a nice lens, but it's also a little short on a SB, and I'd also be afraid that I would miss those couple of extra stops of exposure.  The ~T1.5 (or whatever their T-stop actually is) lenses I have really bring out the best of the GH5 in super-low-light :)

@kyeyeah I was worried about the slower aperture at first too, especially since, prior to switching completely over to contax, I had a rokinon set of lenses that opened up to t1.5... But surprisingly it has not bothered me at all, I always use it on a speedbooster as well for those extra stops of light. The range is pretty sweet on the gh5, especially combined with the extra tele conversion when needed.

@JordanWrightI have had to file down the backs of all of my CZ lenses. There's a tiny little latch for the aperture that sticks out just a tiny bit too far, and was preventing the lens from properly attaching, but it's literally 30 seconds with a dremel tool to file it down just a hair or too, very easy. 

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, matthere said:

I was thinking about trying to mount my Contax C/Y lenses to the BMPCC 0.58 Nikon speedbooster, has anyone adapted to the speedbosters via the nikon route? There seems to be a few adaptor alternatives?

looking at this for example.. here

I'm not sure how much quality you would be losing with the element in that adapter but I suppose its worth a go for that price.

If it doesn't work out, the path would probably be to do the Leitax F mount conversion for them (its reversible) but if you have a few lenses then at €64 per lens the price might begin to stack up. You'd have to check compatibility as well.

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

Your other options then would be to get the Metabones C/Y to MFT but its only 0.71x.

Or alternatively join the EF club, which would be the lowest cost if you bought a generic one, but again you will be likely be losing some reduction unless you sprung for the Metabones XL etc.

21 hours ago, Parker said:

I keep going back and forth on picking up the 35mm 1.4. It's the most expensive of the CZ's and costs a pretty penny, but I'm very, very tempted. 

For information about price, I sold mine for 850e (German version) last month to buyer in Italy. I kept it as last from dozen of Zaiss Contax line I had, checking  if I'll be tempted to jump into FF route. (I have to admit that 35mm f2.8 was closer to my heart.)

• 6 months later...