Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

12 minutes ago, Towd said:

Maybe I'm a noob, but it doesn't look to me like the leftmost square for the S1 was exposed as brightly as all the other test examples.  If exposure had been pushed another stop or more, the dark end and noise floor maybe have fared better.

Did they not want it to beat the Ursa?  Conspiracy theorists want to know...   But seriously, I'm curious if anyone has experience with these test charts.

[EDIT]  I checked their waveform plots for the S1 and Ursa, and they look similar for the left box, so it may just be grading anomaly, but I'm still suspicious....  ?

If you look at the brightest portion of the chart on all four cameras none of them really match. That said I don't know really how it works. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, to be honest now that I think on it more, just because they are hitting 100 IRE on the waveform, who knows what's going on in the camera's color profile.  There could be surperwhite data, or some other special sauce that can be recovered above 100 IRE.

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you look at the brightest portion of the chart on all four cameras none of them really match. That said I don't know really how it works. 

Yeah, I'd expect them to at least try to match the image output a little better.  Still curious....

• 3 weeks later...

It's not looking like Sony sensor tech on the S1R ...

620613912_S1RSensorSlideAdoramaReveal.thumb.jpg.393b681da91b8e6745274957cd020c97.jpg

...as seen in this screenshot from Adorama's "Panasonic S1 and S1R Live Overview!" with Panasonic's Matt Frazer which was broadcast live on FB back on March 6...

Panasonic S1 and S1R Live Overview!:

...though he doesn't mention whether the S1 sensor shares the same technology shown.

(I am not associated with either Panasonic or Adorama or FB, posted for informational/discussion purposes here on EOSHD.)

:)

Jimmy G

@Andrew ReidDear Andrew, from the article it seems that you are in a good contact with Panasonic reps.

Could you please ask them to include a focus assist (magnification) during recording or at least ask why this so important feature is not included in the gh5(s) and also not in the S1? Sony with their A7x line has it included and you find this feature in all broadcast cameras (Sony fs5,fs7, Canon C100-500)

It is such an important feature for so many people who are shooting documentary, reports, television and so on. If you can't plan a scene focus wise you really need this feature to be sure you are in focus.

You can't really judge focus even in Full HD but especially not in 4k. Also the great viewfinder of the S1 will not help. Its not about the resolution of a EVF or LCD, its about the inability of the human eye to really be sure you are focused.

We really need a focus magnification during recording (even 2x would be great and enough, if more is not possible).

It would be so nice if you could come up with this issue if it happens that you talk with them again. If I write them an email it will not get to the right people. I think it is so easy to implement via firmware upgrade and processing power can't be an issue anymore (at least in the s1) to include it also during recording.

Thank you so much if you could do that. I love the GH5 and will love the S1. But this is such an important feature it nearly lets me switch back to cameras like the FS5/7, C300...

Best

Jakob

10 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

It does seem really odd that focus assist is not enabled during recording on the GH5.  I know it might be a hardware limitation, but that just seems really hard to believe.

The omission of this feature is what leads me to rig up a monitor most of the time.   

Yes it is, and I can't really believe that it's a hardware limitation on all of the cameras: GH5, GH5s and S1.

Maybe their normal and very good way of Focus Magnification is not working during recording hardware wise. But than they have to programme another magnification feature which only magnifies 2x or 4x times. It is possible I am very sure and I think they are just not aware of what Killer feature it is for so many of us. I think this feature can pump up sales for the S1.

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, Jak234 said:

It is such an important feature for so many people who are shooting documentary, reports, television and so on. If you can't plan a scene focus wise you really need this feature to be sure you are in focus

I wasn't aware that this wasn't possible on the GH5 or S1. This is a huge drawback for anyone using MF.
I use it  every time on the sony a6500 and its not something I can do without. The more I learn about this camera the less I care about it... ?