Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It’s an overpriced system right out of the gate. The most expensive vs Canon, Nikon and Sony. Given the premium price, it’s expected it would trump all others in performance... which clearly it does not. The S1/R are Mediocre cameras in this company, with only minor improvements in select areas... where they fail to deliver on important features. 

Perhaps gen two will be better?

3 hours ago, anonim said:

IBIS absence from GH5s was also explained as solution for protecting most demanding professional customers from image defects.

Of course, most demanding professional customers immediately recognized and wholeheartedly congratulated such deeply protection-motivated move.

The GH5 has real issues with the IBS when the camera is subject to harsh movements in that  the sensor moves even when you turn IBS off.

5 minutes ago, anonim said:

Yes, harsh movements are always dangerous for... sensors.

I owned both and favored the S, not just for the better low-light performance, but also for the absence of IBIS. I disliked the wobble that the IBIS could produce. It ruined enough of my shots to make the trade off not worth it for my use.

Nikon did better by allowing the option to have the VR (IBIS in Nikon speak) physically lock when not in use.

19 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I owned both and favored the S, not just for the better low-light performance, but also for the absence of IBIS. I disliked the wobble that the IBIS could produce. It ruined enough of my shots to make the trade off not worth it for my use.

Nikon did better by allowing the option to have the VR (IBIS in Nikon speak) physically lock when not in use.

Than it seems safe to say that, say, Daniel Peters and Wild Ranger know how to wobble it like a pro.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

I believe you can turn off ibis on gh5 also.

Ibis.thumb.png.2e49ff0e52f2f26794e6921fb9772f71.png

11 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

The sensor is still free to move around on the IBS floating mechanism even if you turn it off. If you have a GH5 test it yourself - shake the camera and you can hear the sensor moving (and watch it with the lens off). 

Ok, thanks for the info!

16 minutes ago, Stathman said:

Ok, thanks for the info!

There are a couple sort of obvious innovations that have somehow escaped the feature list on most of the current crop of cameras. Things like IBIS that can be locked down when disabled is a big deal, and really adds to the flexibility of the camera.  If you think about it, what good is it to be able to disable the camera intelligently moving the sensor, when the other option is just having it flop about inside the camera willie nilly? It just seems a bit silly to have the disable feature without this locking capability.

Another obvious, but absent feature is the sensor cover that is present on the new Canon EOS R. It's so nice to not have to worry about dust getting on the sensor when switching lenses. Both these features are things ALL mirrorless cameras should have as standard features. 

28 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The Panasonic S1 is great news for Panasonic video shooters. It means the GH6 is likely going to be killer. 

Yes, actual camera as news for future product, it is without doubt fresh-ingenious marketing idea!

The same signature sort of, say, putting ugly, wobbling IBIS that ruins shots in GH5, because of better selling GH5s...

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

It’s an overpriced system right out of the gate. The most expensive vs Canon, Nikon and Sony. Given the premium price, it’s expected it would trump all others in performance... which clearly it does not. The S1/R are Mediocre cameras in this company, with only minor improvements in select areas... where they fail to deliver on important features. 

Perhaps gen two will be better?

Seems to compete in price with the EOS R. Both the are in the $2400 range. Both have similarly expensively priced glass (canon's maybe a bit more intriguing to me) but I'd say the S1 is a better hybrid camera.

So now that all the major manufacturers have released their full frame offerings, is it safe to assume that the calls for the early demise of micro 4/3rds have been been greatly exaggerated?

The GH5 was my first Panasonic camera, mostly due to the 10 bit internal recording, but the class leading IBIS and incredible versatility won me over.  I see some complaints about it, but from my experience the warpy edge thing is much more controlled than on any of the full frame offerings.  Sony IBIS and the GH5 are not even comparable.

I almost wonder if the people suffering from bad IBIS on the GH5 were using adapted lenses without properly setting the focal length before shooting.  The only time it ever got me, was when I accidentally forgot to disable it on a tripod shot in heavy wind and the sensor would compensate for wind gusts.  It's not perfect, but it I've found it dare I say "game changing" with regard to grabbing shots that wouldn't even be possible without a gimbal or heavy rig.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Another obvious, but absent feature is the sensor cover that is present on the new Canon EOS R. It's so nice to not have to worry about dust getting on the sensor when switching lenses. Both these features are things ALL mirrorless cameras should have as standard features. 

Sensor dust is one of my biggest gripes with the a73, its much more of an issue than with previous a7's including the a7s3/r2 combo I traveled with across 40 countries including some very dusty parts of Africa, SE Asia, and Central/South America. For some reason the a73's sensor is a serious dust magnet, despite constantly using my rocket blower, dust has still managed to ruin more shots with the a73 than any other Sony I've owned.