Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Exactly, all FFs are not there yet, and as I wrote above it is my main reason not to jump on the FF wagon.
I also truly hope Panasonic understands this (the reason why they call both S cameras photography oriented cameras), and will come out with even better GH6 in a year or two.

Yeah Panasonic's GH line is still one of the most interesting things around in terms of video. We have a bunch of full frame cameras that are a bunch of different flavors of the same thing. I doubt the new Sony will be that different either.

It's a tool that is more than capable of doing most jobs, and there are things about it that are good, but there is just too much missing for me to decide that this is the next camera and system to invest in. 

The FF obsession is at a fever pitch, but honestly FF is pretty low on my "needs/wants" list. I look towards Panasonic because of their lead in innovation and functionality more than anything. Obviously there are going to be cameras that are geared more towards video features, and the S1 isn't one of them out of the box. Still, they're going through the same motions with the S1 that they did with the GH series, giving Griffin Hammond the camera and having him do a documentary short. I guess it kinda irks me that they're trying to appeal to people like me with a camera that clearly wasn't made with me in mind, and where they're asking me to spend more money on an "upgrade" for video features that should come with the camera to begin with. The entire "paid upgrade" stuff also really makes me uncomfortable, I really hope that's not the direction things are going in. 

Make a camera for people like me and sell it. Don't try to get me to buy in on a camera that's clearly not geared towards users like me, even with the "video upgrade." Your loyal video users deserve better, Panasonic. 

My comment may be off topic, but it seems to me the Z6 with the Ninja V and the Apple ProRes Raw codec is the most intriguing hybrid Full Frame option for video. I’m looking forward to Andrew and other filmmakers trying this option and giving their feedback from use in the field. I’ve been hesitant to use an external recorder, but the option of having RAW files and a recording time limit constrained only by the size of your SSD and chosen codec seems pretty appealing. 

31 minutes ago, Roger said:

Iso-test from Griffin Hammond, S1 vs Gh5 and Gh5s

So Panasonic only needs to provides us with a FW upgrade that enables full VLog for GH5S (and possibly 4k 60p internally). :)

...not sure if the latter is technically possible, but full VLog should be.

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Kipon do a pretty comprehensive range of adapters including Nikon F/G, Leica M/R, M42, C/Y, PL and even speedboosters for medium format lenses for it.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=sh_photo_1&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Leica+sl

I have the Leica M adapter permanently on my SL and then use an M to EF adapter as an intermediate bridge to every other mount.

Thanks for the link---but if I purchased a Panasonic I'm still confused about what to buy. The lenses I would care to use would be Nikon F mount, Canon FD mount, and rokinon EF mounts.

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Thanks for the link---but if I purchased a Panasonic I'm still confused about what to buy. The lenses I would care to use would be Nikon F mount, Canon FD mount, and rokinon EF mounts.

For the Nikon F, you would use this one which is direct :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kipon-Adapter-for-Nikon-F-Mount-Lens-to-Leica-SL-Camera/112029189539?hash=item1a1575c5a3:g:Ki4AAOSww9xZJ9m5

For the other two, you would use the M mount adapter as an intermediary :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kipon-Adapter-for-Leica-M-Mount-Lens-to-Leica-SL-Camera/112030390459?hash=item1a158818bb:g:KZ4AAOSw-3FZJ9X-

With the M mount on, you can then add the individual FD to M and EF to M adapters.

I have to stress though that that is the situation as it stands today (ie. for people like me who use a Leica SL) but now the mount is being opened up to the wider world, I expect a lot more of the direct mount options like the Nikon one I linked to for your other two mounts so that you don't need to use two adapters with the M adapter as a bridge.

EDIT>>>> Just noticed that you down voted the original reply. Harsh.

The lenses are so expensive on the Panasonic. Internal 4k 60p or 4k 60p in general is a great feature though. Panasonic will also offer a 12 bit external solution, (unknown if its RAW or not yet) so it could be on par with Nikon in that regard. Having the ability to shoot 10 bit internal is very attractive for me. If I purchased it I'd likely skip the lenses and just adapt manual ones. 

8 hours ago, seattledv said:

My comment may be off topic, but it seems to me the Z6 with the Ninja V and the Apple ProRes Raw codec is the most intriguing hybrid Full Frame option for video. I’m looking forward to Andrew and other filmmakers trying this option and giving their feedback from use in the field. I’ve been hesitant to use an external recorder, but the option of having RAW files and a recording time limit constrained only by the size of your SSD and chosen codec seems pretty appealing. 

And yet the Z series was also a mixed bag with reviewers as well. We are spoiled for choice these days and yet “Pros” like Tony Northrop live stream what is effectively a “sh*t post” about a camera he hasn’t touched and recommends the GH5 as an alternative camera? What? The S series is a hybrid full frame. Panasonic’s first. They did a pretty good job from what I have seen. Does everybody remember the first Sony mirrorless cameras? My god...

5 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

And yet the Z series was also a mixed bag with reviewers as well. We are spoiled for choice these days and yet “Pros” like Tony Northrop live stream what is effectively a “sh*t post” about a camera he hasn’t touched and recommends the GH5 as an alternative camera? What? The S series is a hybrid full frame. Panasonic’s first. They did a pretty good job from what I have seen. Does everybody remember the first Sony mirrorless cameras? My god...

Wasn't Sony kind of pioneering mirrorless tho? I do think the S1 is a great camera, well besides video auto focus. All four mirrorless FF cameras have strong points. 

16 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Wasn't Sony kind of pioneering mirrorless tho? I do think the S1 is a great camera, well besides video auto focus. All four mirrorless FF cameras have strong points. 

Yes they were and compared to other things on the market at the time they were considered “toy” cameras and Pro wannabes.

All things considered with this camera, Panasonic did a good job here. I’m mean look at the EOS R. It’s a utter trash hybrid camera. Even the Dpaf in that thing isn’t quite as good as what I’ve seen with the S. I think panasonic did a bad job here with tempering people’s expectations of this camera and what it’s aimed at. Most people want a pretty good hybrid full frame option. Panasonic at least attempted it, unlike Canon.

I hope Panasonic can make this a success. Otherwise we have less and, imho, worst options out there. 

This is from an interview at Imaging-Resource.com with Panasonic. I wonder if truly there is an image degradation or just BS. In many ways I feel the more and aliasing and lens corrections on Panasonic cameras actually causes a slight image degradation. I could be wrong. But this seems like its pushing things. 

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/03/14/panasonic-cpplus-2017-gh5-dev-story-on-chip-pdaf-affordable-4k

"... DE: Moving on to a question about autofocus: The specs for the GH5 say that it's faster than the GH4 for Depth from Defocus. So far, Panasonic has focused most of your attention on DFD, if you'll pardon the pun. You haven't yet done anything with phase-detect pixels on the sensor. Is there a technical limitation for on-chip phase detect that makes it less desirable or is just a matter of intellectual property and licensing things? Or do you feel that with DFD that you really don't need to have phase detect?

Panasonic: Phase detect on the image sensor will cause image defects [which] are very easily detected when the [subject] is moving slowly. For example, if the object is moving very slowly and [phase detect is used], so this interaction makes…

DE: As an edge crosses a phase detect pixel…

Panasonic: …it is not smooth, yeah. So to avoid those kinds of artifacts, we do not use the phase detection.

DE: Very interesting, because even if they're recording the light for image formation, the phase detect pixels are only seeing half the light because they're shaped differently, and so you have to do some processing to make up the difference.

Panasonic: Yeah, that's another reason, yes.

DE: And they're doing interpolation, like a nearest neighbor or median filter or something like that

Panasonic: Right, right.

DE: …and so if you have a sharp edge coming across [the phase-detect pixel] slowly, it will flicker a little.

Panasonic: Right.

DE: Ah, that's very, very interesting."

I know PDAF is supposed to introduce striping or banding issues, but I wonder why its more prevalent in some cameras over others. and more noticeable at High ISOs and other factors. 

What do you guys think? 

44 minutes ago, liork said:

So why best auto focus cameras use Phase detection? Only Panasonic discovered it has an "image defects"?

IBIS absence from GH5s was also explained as solution for protecting most demanding professional customers from image defects.

Of course, most demanding professional customers immediately recognized and wholeheartedly congratulated such deeply protection-motivated move.