Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, sanveer said:

I am also guessing the payment for the VLog could be more than $99 on this one. I am guessing, it would be more in the $199-299 range. 

Its more like $400 or more.

13 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Whaaaat? How do you know this? Have you seen complaints of this yet? 15-30min???

Dunno about this one. Would love too se a video on that.

Panasonic has placed recording limits to try to limit overheating, some cleverly disguised as previous "30 min EU tax limit", but real reason is overheating.

Panasonic themselves warns about overheating in the spec text:

"*2 Maximum 15 minutes in 4K60p and unlimited recording time in Full HD until the SD Memory Card becomes full or the battery runs out. 
*3 Maximum 29 minutes 59 seconds in 4K60p until the SD Memory Card becomes full or the battery runs out. 
– When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down (*2*3)."

overheat.png

The S1 is the one that sort of interests me, but not enough to consider moving away from Sony with the a73 - at least for now. The Sony IMO looks to be a superior stills camera (DFD, WTF?) and until the paid upgrade its competitive on the video side. Plus the a7s3 is looming. I do wish my a73 had the S1's EVF, that is the biggest upgrade for me, 60p with a heavy crop not so much.

Like the Nikon Zed's, a solid first effort from Panasonic. Having Sigma as a L-Mount partner means the lens lineup will grow pretty quick. And like the Zed's, the Gen2 bodies will hopefully fix many of the issues of the originals. Panasonic continues to ignore PDAF, and that's ultimately the reason I can't give them a serious look, Sony's AF is still superior.

The upcoming a73 FW update shows they're working to improve existing cameras instead of a continuing the furious pace of new bodies - all of the recent FF mirrorless cameras are forcing everyone to up their game. Competition is good. Will be interesting to see head to head tests.

Chris

Panasonic is definitely handicapping these cameras, likely to protect their higher end stuff(??) or maybe the M43 market. 

Still its full frame 4k 10 bit 422. No one else is offering that. The cropped 4k 60p is a bummer but its still less of a crop than the XT3 and you'll still be getting the amazing high ISO performance. The 12 bit out is pretty cool too, (might be RAW?) Full Vlog might also mean this camera could have some pretty impressive dynamic range. 

The limitations and high price definitely make me hesitant though. Last year was pretty crazy in terms of camera releases. I have a feeling things might slow down this year. Still waiting on Sony to play their card. 

1 hour ago, valery akos said:

I haven't read all previous comments, but: IT IS NOT FUJIFILM YET in terms of skin tones colors etc. NO ONE can beat Fuji on these yet... 

Fuji has Eterna... and that’s great n all, but it’s a bit played out. My money goes with Canon for pleasing color science. Unless the output is Raw color science remains valid. Their upcoming rendition of BSI combined with their latest DPAF should level the playing field. Hopefully this will be in the “Pro” model... or the 1DXMK3.

Though I will concede, the medium format offerings are starting to look appealing. Hasselblad might also surprise us. Who knows what will be coming out in 2019? With DJI now pulling the reigns I think we might well see a shakeup.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Panasonic is definitely handicapping these cameras, likely to protect their higher end stuff(??) or maybe the M43 market. 

Still its full frame 4k 10 bit 422. No one else is offering that. The cropped 4k 60p is a bummer but its still less of a crop than the XT3 and you'll still be getting the amazing high ISO performance. The 12 bit out is pretty cool too, (might be RAW?) Full Vlog might also mean this camera could have some pretty impressive dynamic range. 

The limitations and high price definitely make me hesitant though. Last year was pretty crazy in terms of camera releases. I have a feeling things might slow down this year. Still waiting on Sony to play their card. 

I am not really too sure all these company's are holding back. I think there is a physical limitation heat wise on these Hybrid bodies, and 4K 60p 10bit or better just isn't going to happen unless it is in a Cine type body with a heat sink from hell, or a fan, or both. I think all these manufacturers have known about the 30 minute limit coming off in the EU. They can't put out cameras that only go 12 minutes or whatever without taking a Lot of Heat, pun intended. They are just going to have to face the music and say small bodies just are not going to be able to meet the future needs for video. The PK4 and the Z Cam E2 have proved it really can't be done in a goofy A6000 body size.