Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

This is too low. The un-hacked NX500 shoots that, and that is a 4 years old tiny camera that cost 750€ kit when new. This is too low for a 2019 un-released yet, camera. Also, the NX500 can shoot double, or more, than that, and 2.5K also, with the hack.

72 H265 is a lot better than a similar number in H264, but certainly no 144Mbps. No way.

Panasonic said it, this is a photo camera first, that can do alright video too. They didn't lie!

I believe the power of the consortium are the total lenses that 3 big companies can offer on a short period of time, but this is still to be seen.

Do not see myself as an early adaptor in any of those! P4K or Z for me.

It's too early to say 72Mbps is too low. It largely depends on what encoding parameters Panasonic use (CRF, GOP size etc.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, androidlad said:

It's too early to say 72Mbps is too low. It largely depends on what encoding parameters Panasonic use (CRF, GOP size etc.)

True, but it won't be able to compete with thicker codecs, especially when there are cameras offering different flavores of prores/raw and ofcourse H265. It will be sufficient for most - photographers - doin - a - little - video.

I am an early H265 adaptor, with 3 NX cameras shooting exclusively that, but there are a lot of dedicated video cameras and hybrids now that are more appropriate for professional use.

Edit: Does anyone know about the lenses roadmap, or something?

16 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

True, but it won't be able to compete with thicker codecs, especially when there are cameras offering different flavores of prores/raw and ofcourse H265. It will be sufficient for most - photographers - doin - a - little - video.

I am an early H265 adaptor, with 3 NX cameras shooting exclusively that, but there are a lot of dedicated video cameras and hybrids now that are more appropriate for professional use.

Edit: Does anyone know about the lenses roadmap, or something?

panasonic_s_lens_roadmap_jan_2019_01.jpg

2 hours ago, Ichidomo said:

If it can do 4/6k in photomode at 30fps 4:3 I don't see why anamorphic wouldn't be possible with a FW update. 

Andrew writes For anamorphic users there is a 5K H.265 video mode in 3:2 (and I believe 4:3 as well) Isn't this anamorphic mode in all but name? Anyone know how many fps it is? 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Mind you, I hope the notes he was taking were along the lines of "lets track this maverick down and license it" rather than "lets track this cheeky bastard down and sue him" !

"It is not that fucking tinkerer that forced us to release Cinelike-D for the GX9?" :)

About DFD: hope that Panasonic this time includes non-Panasonic lenses. If they don't support DFD for the Sigma lenses (looks like they will convert all their E-mount lenses for L-ḿount too), the system will be in serious trouble.

The VLog will be better than the VLog L on  the GH5 and GH5s since it will be the one on the Varicam. Which itself is huge, meaning that it will be from a sensor Larger than the Varicam and bordering 14-stops of Dynamic Range at 4-2-2 (the HLG is 10-bit but 4-2-0 on the S Series). I am suddenly wondering whether the 10-bit 4-2-0 HLG on the S1 will be better than the 8-bit 4-2-0 HLG on the A7iii. 

9 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Not seen any reports on rolling shutter performance yet.

I saw one by the Australian Chinese gentleman Richang Wong. He said it is similar to that on other FF sensors. Though I found it slightly pronounced. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, forofilms said:

The fine gentlemen over at Cinema5D are reporting that 4K60p can only be captured externally. Is this true? Andrew can you confirm? I understand the APS-C crop, but can you record 4k60p internally on the S1?

The fine gentlemen are wrong.

I could select 4K60p in the internal codec menus and record to SD card, at 150mbit

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

The fine gentlemen are wrong.

I could select 4K60p in the internal codec menus and record to SD card, at 150mbit

8bit correct?

I thought I saw that in the next firmware they will be adding ability to unlock 4K60p 10bit 4:2:0 internal recording and you only get the 10bit 4:2:2 with external.

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

The VLog will be better than the VLog L on  the GH5 and GH5s since it will be the one on the Varicam. Which itself is huge, meaning that it will be from a sensor Larger than the Varicam and bordering 14-stops of Dynamic Range at 4-2-2 (the HLG is 10-bit but 4-2-0 on the S Series). I am suddenly wondering whether the 10-bit 4-2-0 HLG on the S1 will be better than the 8-bit 4-2-0 HLG on the A7iii. 

I saw one by the Australian Chinese gentleman Richang Wong. He said it is similar to that on other FF sensors. Though I found it slightly pronounced. 

Is hard to say what VLog will do on this sensor. If it's the Sony IMX410 like many believe it is, neither the A7-III or Z6 get more than 12 stops in video out of it. The IMX410 is believed by some to be used in the Sony Venice too....but that camera is "allowed" to record 15+ stops.

Its all in the sensor feature licensing contracts and the negotiations that go into the contracts of sale. Sony licenses read out modes and frame rates and bit depths seperately. That's how they price the sensor....on the market value of your feature choices. Its not a "1 simple price, you get the whole thing deal". You pay for what you want and you are legally blocked from using what you didnt pay for.