Fuji XT3 vs 5Diii with ML Dynamic Range comparison

Robinhood

Does anyone know the dynamic range of the Fuji X-T3 when taking video as well as stills when the shutter speed is set to  1/50th??
Same goes for the Canon 5diii with Magic lantern for comparison. And yes, the closest shutter on the 5diii to get to that is using 1/48th

Would be great to confirm a comparison.

The reason for wanting to know the actual dynamic range of both camera at this shutter speed of 1/50th (or whichever option is closets) is because I only ever use this shutter speed of 1/48 on my 5diii because it's the proper pairing with 23.98 or true 24fps when shooting video. So I therefore only ever take pictures using this shutter speed as well in order to keep everything consistent.

I've noticed countless DR tests go all over the place with the 5Diii, but usually, they're more or less worthless readings since nobody would ever shoot video at 23.98fps combined with say... 1/8s shutter. Please correct me if I'm off base here....

Also, I think I saw that in video mode for the Fuji, the native iso is actually higher than it's native iso for stills (640iso for video vs 160 for stills)... is this true? Does a similar scenario apply the 5diii? I know that it's native iso is 100 for stills, but perhaps its native for video is 400iso or something else?
regardless, shutter speed is independent of iso speed.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Shutter speed in essence has nothing to do with DR, only how it effects ISO. It really effects motion or cadence effect. The higher the ISO, unless it is a dual ISO sensor, the worse the DR is in both Photo and Video modes. And yes almost every camera has a higher base ISO in Video Mode than in Photo mode.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Shutter speed in essence has nothing to do with DR, only how it effects ISO. It really effects motion or cadence effect. The higher the ISO, unless it is a dual ISO sensor, the worse the DR is in both Photo and Video modes. And yes almost every camera has a higher base ISO in Video Mode than in Photo mode.

hmmm Okay to that's good to know. Though testing for Dynamic range could be affected by shutter speed though as a result of the shutter letting in more or less light/second right?? I was figuring this is the reason for the various results of DR being measured for a given camera.
So you're saying that these Dynamic range results appply equally both in the camera's still and video mode?? Somehow I doubt this because there's a higher color bit in stills mode than in video modes and such? Right?

For iso then: Fuji x-T3 base for stills is iso160 while for video is iso640
For the canon 5diii with magic lantern is iso100 in stills and then....iso400 in video? Please confirm

So what're the definitive dynamic ranges for these two models?

Yes almost Every camera has a higher bit rate in Photo mode than Video mode unless it has Raw Video. Even then it is probably lower. I don't care if Photo mode has 20bit output the higher you go ISO wise the less DR it has, it is as simple as that. You are applying gain to it and gain is noise.

And a 5D mk III has about a whopping 9.5 stops of DR if you are Not using ML. 11 if you are using ML Raw. Photo is always about a stop and a half better than video mode in Raw on average. No clue about a Fuji X-T3. Don't care about it, ain't buying one. It's a Fuji, odd duck cameras. They always have some goofy ass sensor with Bozo the Clown colors.

This is really unscientific and based only on having extensively using a 5D3 with Magic Lantern in the past, and recently doing a handful of tests and one job with the XT3.

But my impression is that the XT3 has more dynamic range in FLog vs a 5D3 with ML. You'll have a tough time trying to find an objective number. While C5D has extensively tested cameras, I don't believe they have a number for the 5D3 and certainly not with ML, and it's unlikely they will test a 6 year old camera. And afaik no one else even tries to do objective numerical measurements between cameras.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, Robinhood said:

Also, I think I saw that in video mode for the Fuji, the native iso is actually higher than it's native iso for stills (640iso for video vs 160 for stills)... is this true?

In F-Log the minimum ISO is indeed 640, higher than in photo mode. I believe you can use lower ISO values in other picture modes if you want. The difference is where Fuiji decided to place middle grey, not a difference in sensor sensitivity.

23 hours ago, Robinhood said:

So you're saying that these Dynamic range results appply equally both in the camera's still and video mode?

I don't think that's what webrunner was saying, and it's not true in any case. DR will be even be different between different picture profiles, let alone photo vs video mode. However, DR has nothing to do with bit depth except within a specific gamma curve. That is, one gamma curve might put 20 stops into 10 bits, and another might put 10 stops into 10 bits.