Anyone Moved From a6500 to X-T3? (If so, what do you think?)

Mark Romero 2

So the latest rumors are that an update to the Sony a6500 won't be until June.

I am sure it will be a good camera, but I know I will be pretty frustrated shooting with my a6500 for the next 6 months. The LCD (resolution and dimming in 4K), the ergonomics / UI, the lack of 4K 60p, and the badness of 1080p are all kind of frustrating, Slog 2 in 8-Bit, and the lack of flexibility in the codec has been a bummer too. The quality of Sony aps-c lenses is kind of frustrating, too.

So I am hoping to get feedback from previous sony shooters who are shooting with the X-T3.

One real important feature for me is dynamic range, though. I think technically speaking the X-T3 has another stop of DR over the a6500, but I wonder if the better codec of the X-T3 will allow for more USABLE dynamic range. Meaning, are the shadows clean enough in F-Log that I can shoot at +1 stop as opposed to SLOG 2 where I basically have to shoot at +2 stops?

Also for stills, the 1/250th of a second flash sync speed is preferable to the 1/160th of the a6500.

Anyway, just looking for peoples experience with the X-T3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Shadows are pretty clean on the XT3 in my experience. Everything is a step up from the Sony. The Fuji lens lineup is really nice though sorely lacking in IS other than some of the zoom lenses. 

Thanks for the input. I appreciate any other thoughts you might have on the X-T3, particularly regarding dynamic range or color correction when white balance is off.

23 minutes ago, androidlad said:

A6500's only strength compared to X-T3 is IBIS.

With F-Log, due to its placement of middle grey at much higher 46IRE, you don't need to and should not overexpose at all.

Thank you for your opinion.

So compared to SLOG 2, in F Log there are less stops of dynamic range allocated ABOVE middle gray but more stops of dynamic range allocated below middle gray???

Is the highlight rolloff of F-Log any nicer than 8-bit slog 2 from a6500 / a7 III???

(Lucky for me if I buy the X-T3 the lenses that I most like have stabilization, like the 10-24.)

6 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for the input. I appreciate any other thoughts you might have on the X-T3, particularly regarding dynamic range or color correction when white balance is off.

Thank you for your opinion.

So compared to SLOG 2, in F Log there are less stops of dynamic range allocated ABOVE middle gray but more stops of dynamic range allocated below middle gray???

Is the highlight rolloff of F-Log any nicer than 8-bit slog 2 from a6500 / a7 III???

(Lucky for me if I buy the X-T3 the lenses that I most like have stabilization, like the 10-24.)

Dynamic range is similar. F-log allocates more bits below middle grey compared to Slog2, it behaves similar to Slog3. Due to some unknown issues, F-log can get magenta banding when shooting sky even with 10bit.

I recommend HLG for better tonal range and clean colorimetry.

33 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Dynamic range is similar. F-log allocates more bits below middle grey compared to Slog2, it behaves similar to Slog3. Due to some unknown issues, F-log can get magenta banding when shooting sky even with 10bit.

I recommend HLG for better tonal range and clean colorimetry. 

Thank you for letting me know that.

26 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you want I can send you some clips to play around with. 

That would be awesome. Can you upload them to dropbox?