Aren't you waiting for the Panasonic S1?

liork

On 2/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, currensheldon said:

I haven’t been this excited about a camera launch in a long time. I’ve been hoping for a full frame camera with GH5 specs for awhile. Hoping the XLR adapter is compatible and maybe has a surprise or two like internal NDs... 

The Panasonic DMW-XLR1 is indeed compatible with the S1! Is mentioned in this video:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/2/2019 at 1:14 AM, DBounce said:

The Nikon get internal raw with the release of the new firmware that supports CFExpress.

Where have you seen that they'll get internal raw video for the Nikon Z6?

On 2/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, androidlad said:

X-T3 crops 1.18x in 4K 60p on top of the sensor 1.5x. Compared to FF it's a 1.8x crop.

So basically the same ish as  GH5S!

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

If it could focus well it might be. Maybe a firmware will fix it? But honestly I think the CS on it just looks dead to me. I think it is the worse CS of all the new cameras hands down.

But RAW should let you easily make it whatever you want. Someone said it will get 10 bit RAW internal & 12 out?

Yeah, I highly doubt it’s going to get 10bit Raw internal... with what container? I mean, it doesn’t even do 10bit internal now with h.264.

Plus I don’t know how great 10bit Raw would be anyway. It sounds like a storage hound without the true benefits of a Raw image. 

With that being said... God I hope it does. If anything will get me RawLite in a future Canon DSLR/MILC, it will be Nikon giving internal Raw on a $2000 camera. And if it doesn’t kick Canon in the ass, Nikon Flat is one of my favorite picture profiles, so I’ll happily get a Z6/NinjaV for ProRes Raw... any news on when that update is coming?

29 minutes ago, mercer said:

Plus I don’t know how great 10bit Raw would be anyway. It sounds like a storage hound without the true benefits of a Raw image.

At this point it seems that anything that isn't debayered is considered Raw. So conceivably a 10 bit compressed log format could provide great image quality at a relatively low data rate, like RawLite you mention. Not true RAW, but it could be a really nice format.

I don't really think that's going to happen, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

33 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

At this point it seems that anything that isn't debayered is considered Raw. So conceivably a 10 bit compressed log format could provide great image quality at a relatively low data rate, like RawLite you mention. Not true RAW, but it could be a really nice format.

I don't really think that's going to happen, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

When I end up getting a second camera, I’ll probably want something that shoots in 10bit but honestly... I can’t really tell that much of a difference between it and 8bit half the time... I think it’s psychological. Haha. The only time I can really tell is when the acquisition format is better... ie ProRes. 

If I’m being truly honest, I think a lot of these new cameras are boring. I think that maybe this generation of camera tech has peaked and anything going forward, in the foreseeable future, just proves the Law of Diminishing Returns.

@mercer I can see a difference between 10 and 8 bit once I start grading. But it's not a huge difference. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with the whole diminishing returns view. That's why for me a camera can't just be good or even a good value, it's got to be better than what I have. My NX1 is ridiculously good in 4k, fits my hand like a glove, and has ergonomic and simple controls. That's why I keep going back to things like rolling shutter, 4k60, full frame, 10 bit, etc. It's not that I "need" any of those, but anything less and I've already got it covered.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I think that maybe this generation of camera tech has peaked and anything going forward, in the foreseeable future, just proves the Law of Diminishing Returns.

I sort of agree sort of disagree. I agree straight image quality has peaked. Framerates... well the E2 has 4k120 so we've hit a peak there. 10 bit is almost mainstream in prosumer cameras. However, rolling shutter hasn't really improved much--and while 10 bit and 8 bit aren't a huge difference, global shutter is pure magic on a glidecam. I'd also love to see more cameras that can sync to LTC.

2 minutes ago, DBounce said:

IIRC It was in an interview with Atomos. They mentioned that the Nikon can do 4K raw, but Nikon will not offer it until support for CFExpress is added.

I did see an interview with Atomos, but I don't remember that. I hope you're right, it would be a really phenomenal twist for Nikon. If they are that committed to video in their Z series, I'd love to see them tackle some of the other lesser-requested video features like LTC.

7 minutes ago, KC Kelly said:

I'm waiting to see if the S1 gets the full V-log.  Even if you have to pay extra for it.  It would also be nice to have better timecode than the GH-5s.  I don't have a problem with keeping a TC sync on it all the time.  S35 compatibility mode would also be great.

I think full VLog is already confirmed. I will add I do like the image from this camera, and the low-light looks good. It's just that given Panasonic have priced it at the top of the food chain, it needs to sit there pretty much unrivaled as it is a totally new series. Worst still, this is not just Panasonics first full frame mirrorless... this is Panasonics first full frame camera. That said the argument has to be mighty convincing in both specs and performance to lure would be customers away from the competition. In all honesty, it doesn't seem to rise quite to that level.

2 minutes ago, KC Kelly said:

Yes, I have heard that, but I'm not counting the proverbial chicken just yet.

I hear you there, but I don't thing Pani would announce the spec and then not deliver. It's not really their style. I wish this had good AF and a flippy screen. That would have made it a super well rounded package. 

22 minutes ago, KC Kelly said:

I'm waiting to see if the S1 gets the full V-log.  Even if you have to pay extra for it.  It would also be nice to have better timecode than the GH-5s.  I don't have a problem with keeping a TC sync on it all the time.  S35 compatibility mode would also be great.

My understanding was that V-Log L was the same mapping as V-Log on the Varicam, but with less dynamic range.  Panasonic's GH5 V-Log  LUT seems to be interchangeable with the regular Varicam LUT.

Are people just hoping for more dynamic range out of the V-log mapping on the S1?  My impression has always been that V-log L was just marketing gimmickry to help separate the Varicam from the GH5 and emphasize the lower dynamic range on Panasonic's prosumer camera.