Aren't you waiting for the Panasonic S1?

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
28 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

AND there are no used lenses / older lenses for you so you really have no choice (unless they announce some kind of magic adapter they've managed to keep secret).

Because of the SL connection, there are used lenses out there you can buy right now that will work with it but you'd have to be quite keen to buy them ;) 

1232528841_ScreenShot2019-01-31at18_40_41.thumb.png.af09dfcfd4552ff96f035f8ff06498d6.png

Thats actually one of the cheaper prices I've yet seen for that particular lens to be honest so maybe this launch is already having an effect !

Again because of the SL connection, smart adapters do exist to buy today from Novoflex who produce adapters with AF from EF and Nikon to the L mount which are about £350-400.

The Nikon one has a major caveat though in that it will only work with the newer lenses with electronic diaphragm control.

This is an area where you would hope that Sigma will be able to step in with an L version of their MC11 adapter for EF at least which should be considerably cheaper.

I doubt they will be doing anyone that favour for a while though as they'd sooner you buy their new lenses for it !

For everything manual, the M mount adapter obviously gives you the ability to put Leica M lenses on it (not just the expensive stuff but cheap fast full frame Voigtlanders and 7Artisans) but also acts as a gateway mount to put pretty much all other lens types on via adapters.

The L mount was obviously very niche up until now as it was a Leica only thing but I expect to see a lot more of the cheaper convertor manufacturers bringing out direct mount conversions so that you don't have to stack adapters like M>EF>R to get Leica R lenses on it etc 

@Oliver Daniel yeah, i saw that at PDN earlier this morning. That s1 price is competitive, considering it is the first full frame 4k60p, and has that sweet pixel shift mode. As has been mentioned, lenses seem scarce at the moment but i'm sure that will change.

It will be interesting to see what format 10 bit 422 is in, and the price of the upgrade. Surely they wont have internal prores? That would be insane. My guess is HEVC still.

10 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Full frame 4k 60p and internal 10 bit 422. Basically a full frame GH5. Not bad at all. More attractive than Nikon's offering to me though you're paying for it. 

The S1 is looking strong with the future firmware update, with the really special stuff saved for the GH6. 

Please let the AF be good. 

1 minute ago, KnightsFan said:

@Oliver Daniel yeah, i saw that at PDN earlier this morning. That s1 price is competitive, considering it is the first full frame 4k60p, and has that sweet pixel shift mode. As has been mentioned, lenses seem scarce at the moment but i'm sure that will change.

It will be interesting to see what format 10 bit 422 is in, and the price of the upgrade. Surely they wont have internal prores? That would be insane. My guess is HEVC still.

The EVA1 just got 4k 60p 10 bit HEVC, so I'm guessing the S1 will have HEVC too (without the 10 bit 60p). 

7 hours ago, Nikkor said:

The Benefit of raw is that there is no debayering, so there is no Fake Information taking up bandwith. 

In raw it's 14bit per Pixel, not per color channel per pixel.

Yeah I'm talking about the benefits of raw for me personally. I mistakenly read the specs Kyle posted as 14 bit not 12 bit 444, but still 12 bit 444 would be great and plenty for my needs. 

Panasonic confirmed DFD auto focus so it seems like its doomed.

20 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

20 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The S1 is looking strong with the future firmware update, with the really special stuff saved for the GH6. 

Please let the AF be good. 

The EVA1 just got 4k 60p 10 bit HEVC, so I'm guessing the S1 will have HEVC too (without the 10 bit 60p). 

10bit 4:2:2 will likely still be H.264, because ARM processors that support HEVC Version 2 Main 422 10 profile were only introduced recently.

That should be why the EVA1 V3 firmware update limits HEVC codec to 10bit 4:2:0, same for X-T3.

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

These specs are doing the rounds on Facebook. Apparently came from a website who posted the article then removed it. 

If true, it confirms they are leaving the fancier video specs to the GH6 and GH6s. 

leak s1r.jpg

I hope so! : ) I WAS used to be a FF lover. With this price speculation, the more they go high, the more MFT makes all the sense to me and who loves independent art : -)

8 hours ago, DBounce said:

I can't say the new Panasonic's really interest me. However, I am somewhat intrigued by the upcoming Fujifilm GFX 100. 100MP sensor with no crop in 4k.

It's ok...  I know we all love to talk about the crop, but don't worry about not being able to talk about it any more - way before Canon does no-crop 4K we'll be talking about the crop in 8K!

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

For Panasonic's higher end stills shooters, its a massive leap to go from a G9 to that anyway, let alone when you can't take your lenses with you so I'm not sure how much brand loyalty they can rely on in this instance.

The alliance as a whole isn't just about these two cameras in isolation though so the landscape might look a lot different in a year's time when Sigma's lenses and new SD Quattro's are available with that mount as well as subsequent Leica models.

I agree, when you can't take your lenses with you then all bets are off and everyone is "in the market" for a new system again.  It's a pretty significant point for brands to try and capture and "lock in" customers into their ecosystem.  Maybe it's one of those "can you afford to do it? true, but can you afford not to do it?" type things for Panasonic to release their own offerings.

7 hours ago, buggz said:

I am a hobbyist enjoying the GH5 and have many lens options already secured, anamorphic as well.

I think this kit will last me for a long time, I would have to see a huge revolutionary development for me to think seriously about upgrading.

Also, the cost of the higher pixel model is currently prohibitive to me.

As a happy GH5 owner I definitely agree.  

It will be interesting to see what the GH6 offers.  The GH5 has few flaws, but if they offered 4K60 10-bit with HLG and H265 all internally that would be a decent step up.  Also if they offered a card slot that could do higher speeds in UHS-I then that would be great too.  Being able to use Sandisk 90MB/s cards instead of being forced to buy UHS-II cards would be great.

And of course, if they offered the ability to render prores proxies to one card and H265 to the other that would be wonderful.  

Or RAW!!  

*ahem*

5 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I was quite excited when the rumor mill first started, but as more and more details came out I've almost lost all interest.

I've watched the release of all the FF mirrorless cameras with underwhelm.  They seem to be chasing the photographer market and mostly offer only scraps of improvement for video users, at the cost of buying extortionately priced lenses.  I've probably lost all touch with the stills photography market, but there doesn't seem to be anything really that interesting about these cameras from a stills perspective.  If you had a 5DIII then I'm not sure why you're paying thousands and thousands...  

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

If true, it confirms they are leaving the fancier video specs to the GH6 and GH6s. 

The earlier comments from Panasonic indicated that video was staying in MFT for now, so that makes sense.

Of course, they might get their system established, some more lenses sorted out, and then start cramming video features into the FF range, we'll see.  

Out of a choice of an MFT system limited to 6K sensors that's been around for ages with all kinds of strange glass vs a brand-new FF system with 8K sensor and completely new glass or high-end Leica glass, which system do you think they're going to introduce 8K video into?

If the GH6 has 14-bit RAW and PDAF, it would seem more lucrative than this (or other FF Mirrorless offerings to be fair). Its dynamic range is pretty decent already.

The XT3 seems like the perfect middle ground, especially since its size is manageable. And that doesn't seem to lack anything major except  perhaps IBIS.

The A7iii was bringing the prices of FF Mirrorless down. Panasonic seems to be reversing that trend. I hope Panasonic has improved their continuous and video autofocus.

I am guessing that Panasonic wanted its foot across 2 sensor sizes so that its market share is better. More importantly, I am guessing, it wants users to understand that with the right sensor and processing, one doesn't really miss FF. It's a perception thing, and people who still can't wrap their heads around thos fact, can always pick up a Panasonic FF ?

21 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I am guessing that Panasonic wanted its foot across 2 sensor sizes so that its market share is better. More importantly, I am guessing, it wants users to understand that with the right sensor and processing, one doesn't really miss FF. It's a perception thing, and people who still can't wrap their heads around thos fact, can always pick up a Panasonic FF ?

I think it is a bit more complicated than this. I get the concept that if you are a 'video only' shooter then the GH5 (or its successor) makes more sense than FF.

But FF for stills trumps M43 for stills any day of the week. So a 'video/stills' shooter will probably prefer an S1 over a GH5 for the improved stills capability even if the video doesnt quite match the capabilities of the GH5.

3 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I think it is a bit more complicated than this. I get the concept that if you are a 'video only' shooter then the GH5 (or its successor) makes more sense than FF.

But FF for stills trumps M43 for stills any day of the week. So a 'video/stills' shooter will probably prefer an S1 over a GH5 for the improved stills capability even if the video doesnt quite match the capabilities of the GH5.

Sounds like it will match the GH5's video prowess.  

5 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Yeah there are a heck of a lot more Photographers in the world than Videographers.