Fujifilm X-T30?

IronFilm

1 minute ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Not often, for sure. But I like to shoot concerts, and some jams and 2 connected songs exceed this limit (have a LX100 with 15 min limit and sometimes had some troubles with it). And probably the limit is not because of heat - I guess that the XT-3 does not have heat problems and have the same chipset. 30 min would be a good limit - this I believe that could comes in a future firmware upgrade, when the XT-3 sales decline.

But if Atomos could release a Ninja Star 4k, it would be a HELL of a combo - cheap and powerful.

I would like if they released a 1080p unlimited record time, I am sure its doable and probably an easy firmware fix. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I would like if they released a 1080p unlimited record time, I am sure its doable and probably an easy firmware fix. 

Removing the 29:59 limit via firmware upgrade would require new serial numbers for every camera sold per EU law. Technically it's doable but logistically nah.

• 4 months later...

So, is anyone actually using the X-T30? I am considering this as a substitute for my gx85. Tough I have been fine with saramonic external recorder on the top of the camera for solo shooting this seems to much a serious improve for a compact combo as many have pointed.( Don't feel like investing in m4/3 glass anymore and would love having better stills camera) . So, Have you found out if it is actually possible to use both the external monitor and have audio in?   I also wonder how bad 8 bit h.264 flog would look like. I like this guys testing and was a bit afraid of h264 limitation on xt30 and at the same time craving for the results with log and eterna lut ( not baked in ) it is possible to get on xt3 and possibly externally on the xt30. I also heard a bad review from gerald undone saying it overheated even recording externally.. ? 

Flog is not bad in 8 bit. Eterna is a great profile though for 8 bit, pretty nice dynamic range and a nice overall image. I'd definitely recommend the XT30. Its an awesome stills camera too. Using fuji's 18-55mm is like having IBIS. Of course you don't have the luxury of adapting stabilized vintage glass. 

The ability to throw a speedbooster on and get a full frame look is amazing too. XT30 + Speedbooster + a nifty fifty is awesome. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

I also heard a bad review from gerald undone saying it overheated even recording externally.. ? 

Something about this logic doesn't add up.

The reason you get an X-T30 instead of an X-T3 is for the smaller size and lower price.

So wouldn't it make more sense to add a LARGE and EXPENSIVE external recorder to the X-T3 instead?

Doesn't seem to stop Gerald doing a dump on it though, even though he's yet another YouTuber with more money than common sense.

Of course the smaller body size limits it thermally, it's very powerful hardware cramped into a smaller space so that's to be expected. It's got the 4K recording time limits for a reason.

In other news...

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt30/index.html

They fixed the Q button.

None of the Fuji hipster designers used the camera after drawing it with their Apple pencils.

Good job real engineers exist to save the day!

On 6/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, Andrew Reid said:

The reason you get an X-T30 instead of an X-T3 is for the smaller size and lower price.

So wouldn't it make more sense to add a LARGE and EXPENSIVE external recorder to the X-T3 instead?

Well, yes. But many can afford only one camera ( and already have an external recorder) and it's nice to know one can add an ninja  and trust (and record more than 10min) the camera to behave as professionally as the xt3 on corporate job and still have it as an everywhere stills camera ( as I use to with my gx85+20mm) or trusting it as a b cam for a doc having something like a c100 as A cam. That's how I would use it. I can sell my recorder and buy an xt3 but than in the end I know I won't be using it as a still camera not nearly enough as much I would with a small body... And for me the external recorder would be handy even on the xt3 ( on those corporate jobs) not only to look more professional ( which sometimes is good) but also to deal with proress 422 instead of  h.265 - otherwise I would be looking to replace me editing system as well). 
So yeah, looking forward to know how serious I can take the X-T30, eventually, if I need to. 
I basically work with a D16 and while doing more corporate jobs (mini-docs) I feel the need for a more practical and plastic - modern looking -  solutions sometimes . bmpc4k would do it but I also want a reasonable stills camera and the a6400 looks boring. That's why I am looking to the X-T30 but few people seem to have tried taking it seriously so far, so I am not sure. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:47 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Flog is not bad in 8 bit. Eterna is a great profile though for 8 bit, pretty nice dynamic range and a nice overall image. I'd definitely recommend the XT30. Its an awesome stills camera too. Using fuji's 18-55mm is like having IBIS. Of course you don't have the luxury of adapting stabilized vintage glass. 

The ability to throw a speedbooster on and get a full frame look is amazing too. XT30 + Speedbooster + a nifty fifty is awesome. 

Nice! yeah, I think it would be enough for me most of the times. I hear 1080p is also great. So you have both the xt3 and xt30? Do you feel huge difference from h265 on the xt3 and h264 on the xt3? 
From a stills perspective I am trying to figure what could substitute my gx85-20mm combo.  The fuji 27mm2.8 pancake doesn't look as appealling: more expensive, darker, the DOF would be something like  2.3 on the m4/3 ... Either the 35mm 1.2 7artisans or meike 35 1.4 + a fuji 23mm f2. could probably be 2 options to gather the fun, sharp and portability I could get with the 20mm.  As you say though, it will be great finding use for my old glasses.  it makes more sense adapting them on apsc rather than on m4/3. 

2 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Well, yes. But many can afford only one camera ( and already have an external recorder) and it's nice to know one can add an ninja  and trust (and record more than 10min) the camera to behave as professionally as the xt3 on corporate job and still have it as an everywhere stills camera ( as I use to with my gx85+20mm) or trusting it as a b cam for a doc having something like a c100 as A cam. That's how I would use it. I can sell my recorder and buy an xt3 but than in the end I know I won't be using it as a still camera not nearly enough as much I would with a small body... And for me the external recorder would be handy even on the xt3 ( on those corporate jobs) not only to look more professional ( which sometimes is good) but also to deal with proress 422 instead of  h.265 - otherwise I would be looking to replace me editing system as well). 
So yeah, looking forward to know how serious I can take the X-T30, eventually, if I need to. 
I basically work with a D16 and while doing more corporate jobs (mini-docs) I feel the need for a more practical and plastic - modern looking -  solutions sometimes . bmpc4k would do it but I also want a reasonable stills camera and the a6400 looks boring. That's why I am looking to the X-T30 but few people seem to have tried taking it seriously so far, so I am not sure. 

Nice! yeah, I think it would be enough for me most of the times. I hear 1080p is also great. So you have both the xt3 and xt30? Do you feel huge difference from h265 on the xt3 and h264 on the xt3? 
From a stills perspective I am trying to figure what could substitute my gx85-20mm combo.  The fuji 27mm2.8 pancake doesn't look as appealling: more expensive, darker, the DOF would be something like  2.3 on the m4/3 ... Either the 35mm 1.2 7artisans or meike 35 1.4 + a fuji 23mm f2. could probably be 2 options to gather the fun, sharp and portability I could get with the 20mm.  As you say though, it will be great finding use for my old glasses.  it makes more sense adapting them on apsc rather than on m4/3. 

Do you have vintage glass? 

The Fuji 23mm and 50mm f2 are great. I use both lenses all the time. If you need fast glass with auto focus they are definitely the way to go. 

I don't notice a huge difference between the XT3 and XT30 but I don't usually push my footage much in post. Having 4k 60p is nice though. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Well, yes. But many can afford only one camera ( and already have an external recorder) and it's nice to know one can add an ninja  and trust (and record more than 10min) the camera to behave as professionally as the xt3 on corporate job

Still the logic doesn't add up. "Oh dear, I shoot corporate video for a living and can't afford the extra $400 for an X-T3"

and still have it as an everywhere stills camera ( as I use to with my gx85+20mm) or trusting it as a b cam for a doc having something like a c100 as A cam.

Yes all those poor C100 A and B cam owners, who can ONLY stretch to the X-T30 and Ninja.

Not!

Not very, if it overheats with the Ninja.

I basically work with a D16 and while doing more corporate jobs (mini-docs) I feel the need for a more practical and plastic - modern looking -  solutions sometimes

Digital Bolex D16, a $3500 camera. Nice.

Are you still definitely sure you want to save that $400 for the X-T30 over X-T3 and have it overheat on a work shoot?

bmpc4k would do it but I also want a reasonable stills camera and the a6400 looks boring.

I can agree with you on that one!

So you have both the xt3 and xt30? Do you feel huge difference from h265 on the xt3 and h264 on the xt3?

Quite a bit of difference. Sometimes the X-T30 codec has some posterisation in the shadows when X-T3... and oddly the old X-E3... does not.

Still a very decent codec though for 8bit.

Can definitely recommend the fuji 23mm F2... if you can afford it with all those D16s you've bought ?

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Still the logic doesn't add up. "Oh dear, I shoot corporate video for a living and can't afford the extra $400 for an X-T3"

Lots of corporate videographers are not really making a proper living out of only this. 

It might just be their side gig while their full time job is as a chief/accountant/courier/cleaner/baker/whatever.

Or even, it might be their side gig of their side gig! Because their side gig is as a photographer, but more and more photographers are getting asked by their corporate clients to provide video as well. 

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes all those poor C100 A and B cam owners, who can ONLY stretch to the X-T30 and Ninja.

With how dirt cheap the C100 is becoming now in 2019 on eBay, you could very well be an owner with not one but two C100 cameras and still just merely be a very low budget videographer. And a X-T30 might (or might not!) be exactly what you're seeking in your next camera. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

With how dirt cheap the C100 is becoming now in 2019 on eBay, you could very well be an owner with not one but two C100 cameras and still just merely be a very low budget videographer. And a X-T30 might (or might not!) be exactly what you're seeking in your next camera. 

Can I get it for $150 for that challenge?

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

We were also told of a photographer who constantly knelt whilst shooting and ended up having his radioactive trousers cut-off.

WHOA!! :-o 
Still so very dangerous even today
(and will be so for hundreds more years)

So I wore my mask, sweating in the baking sun and juggled kit from my shoulder bag. Our instructions were to put nothing down. At times I think the tourists, who after seeing the TV series are flocking to join Chernobyl tours, were a little concerned to see us wearing masks where they were not.

HA!

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Watch this and see why small cameras and rigs are important even for Sky TV

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/26/the-real-chernobyl-from-commission-to-transmission-in-two-weeks/

You really don't need that blasted external recorder.

Or a huge sensor

"I am a DSLR fan for shooting video. I have used them for ten years across Asia, whether sneaking around Burma, avoiding the authorities in Kashgar, Xinjiang or the Tibetan regions of China. In fact I use them everyday. I’m based back in London now and have used my Lumix GH cameras in forty new countries in three years, from Colombia to Kazakhstan from Iceland to Iran. Every time the M43 form factor is gold."

and this one goes to the guy that put the new JVC in the same sentence with the Sony Venice!

"Micro four thirds truly is the DSLR video king. I know what bigger sensors and cameras can do. I shot the Queen’s Christmas Message with a fully rigged Sony Venice and lenses I could barely lift."