What defines your style as a film-maker?

kye

9 hours ago, kye said:

Cool shorts.

In terms of your style, I'm not really that sure.  I don't watch enough horror or action to be able to see past the standard techniques and shots to see what is more uniquely yours.

Anyone else have a more familiar eye?

Thanks! Most of my stuff is no budget one-two man crew type stuff. Much of the time I feel like I am just running around trying to salvage the situation as best as possible?

Michael Bay is definitely interesting. The Transformer movies are pretty dull. I enjoyed 13 hours, it had a really high contrast sometimes blown out look, definitely different. The Rock is one of my favorite action films, it definitely had a more traditional Hollywood look,  very visually appealing though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Do you remember "Girl with balloon"?

Now it is "Love is in the bin", and worths even more!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/oct/11/woman-who-bought-shredded-banksy-artwork-will-go-through-with-sale

Mr. Brainwash, or whatever is called, is a Banksy creation, the stunt was to make it seem real, so he was pulling some strings for a couple of years before the docu-release, and maybe after. Banksy is THAT good.

In a sense, after Exit was aired, there's no reason that Mr Brainwash wouldn't stay famous, regardless of if he's an artist or not.  Hollywood has shown us that there is plenty of room for people only being famous for being famous, and that once you kick-start that with a PR stunt of some kind (sex tape, art documentary, whatever!) then the world cares about how many times you chew each mouthful of breakfast and everything else..

The shredded Banksy should be worth more not less after it was shredded.  It's physical art and now performance art :)

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Thanks! Most of my stuff is no budget one-two man crew type stuff. Much of the time I feel like I am just running around trying to salvage the situation as best as possible?

Anyone with aspirations about what they're making feels like this.  I continually see great moments happen when I wasn't filming and think about the film I could have created had I got those shots, ah well....   Keep shooting :)

Although, this is an interesting topic for discussion, I wonder if a lot of folks overthink this stuff?

This isn’t binary. It’s intuitive. And individualistic. Every single moment in a person’s life creates a chain reaction in their style or artistic choices.

Other than Oliver’s statement earlier in the thread, I think this is the most honest statement...

31 minutes ago, kye said:

I continually see great moments happen when I wasn't filming and think about the film I could have created had I got those shots, ah well....   Keep shooting

I'm in love with the unique place where reality meets fiction, and then blurring that place beyond recognition. For my latest project, I'm on a long haul doc set deep in the bowels of a city (and country) in transition that has a well known reputation for being illogical and often ludicrous. Here, I actively hunt the staggering absurdities of daily life through the eyes and lives of the characters I choose. Herzog, Oppenheimer, Glawogger and Sauper are my heros... pass the green chilis please.