What makes a video CINEMATIC?

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

A good wake up call for everyone. As someone that shoots video for a living and consumes a lot of YT content the word "cinematic" is almost triggering at times. I encourage everyone to watch this and possibly start a discussion. 

Good video - I thought the soundtrack made it quite cinematic.

"La terra trema", or the "Bicycle thief" are "cinematic"? The John Cassavetes "Shadows"? "Benny's video" by Hanecke? "Festen" by Vinterbergh? Was "A bout de Souffle" by Godard? These are films I saw in the "cinema" the first time I saw them.

This is the first time I am replying to such a thread in my many years in the industry, and forums, but in 2019, this is just a silly question as any, with no really substance at all.

There are no such term, stop putting human expression inside norms and borders.

12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Cinamatic is intention. If you intend it and it has a purpose it can be cinematic. If your gimbal isnt calabrated right and you get jittery footage it's not cinamatic but if it was controlled and intentional like in Saving Private Ryan it certainly could.

It s not about the gimbal either.

My definition of a Cinematic, Filmic is if the footage looks like something Anyone can do, and sort of does, it Isn't Cinematic. If it is pretty amazing, breathtaking, moving, memorable as hell, well it is Cinematic. When you become immersed in the movie, feeling like you are really there, not Just watching it, that is when it is Cinematic.

I think making something cinematic occurs on every level within film-making.

The purely creative elements such as narrative and story structure, layering, complexity, poetry, and world can captivate the viewer and take them to another place.
The artistic elements of film-making such as lighting, composition, casting and dramatic performances, wardrobe, art-department, sound design, music, editing and grading etc can create the texture of the world, matching the visual aesthetic with the conceptual elements previously mentioned.
The technical elements such as camera movement, 180 degree shutter, etc.

The YouTuber "how to be cinematic" focuses on the technical elements because they're easy to talk about, unfortunately the above categories are in descending-order of importance.

It's like how most YouTubers fill their vlogs with cinematic b-roll sequences, when instead they should fill them full of interesting and useful content instead  :)

To me, cinematic means the feeling or experience you have when watching a theatrical release film. 

There’s too many elements to list as to what makes an image cinematic - lighting, composition, story etc. 

Generally, I think the Youtubers attempts at “cinematic” is more “stylised videography”. There’s an enhancement and focus on camera movement, grading, maybe lighting that gives a more captivating viewing experience, but not quite “cinematic” as such. 

Then again, like “filmic”, these are just words. Is the content compelling enough to sit through? That’s what matters. If the answer is yes, it’s job well done. “Cinematic” or not. 

4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Haha! I bet most of the top 100 most important films in humam history didn't have any gimbal use at all!

I do agree with you though, still can't make my Ronin S work right and that drives me crazy!

Damn I thought the Ronin S was supposed to be pretty good. Just purchased a used Ronin M again after tiring of pistol grip gimbals. 

Gimbal is just a shortcut for me, trying to imitate dolly or steadicam shots without having the money, time, or skill to do the real deal. Although I have been seeing images of gimbals being used more on productions. 

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Haha! I bet most of the top 100 most important films in humam history didn't have any gimbal use at all!

I do agree with you though, still can't make my Ronin S work right and that drives me crazy!

I’ve not got the hang of mine yet either. I liked how the Zhiyun Crane V1 moved so smoothly with my movements and I can’t replicate it yet with the Ronin-S. Still putting it down to user error. Surely....

On topic....

Are gimbals cinematic? If they serve the story, then yes. Why the hell not? 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

My definition of a Cinematic, Filmic is if the footage looks like something Anyone can do, and sort of does, it Isn't Cinematic. If it is pretty amazing, breathtaking, moving, memorable as hell, well it is Cinematic. When you become immersed in the movie, feeling like you are really there, not Just watching it, that is when it is Cinematic.

Suspension of disbelief is not necessarily the only way to arrive there. Take a glance on Brecht approach as for instance with his V-effekt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distancing_effect

12 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

A good wake up call for everyone. As someone that shoots video for a living and consumes a lot of YT content the word "cinematic" is almost triggering at times. I encourage everyone to watch this and possibly start a discussion. 

I saw nothing so "Cinematic" in his posted videos. Poorly lit "Christmas with Grandpa" video... overuse of slow-mo in all of his camera videos.... and what story? There was little there that would not put someone to sleep. I think before ripping some of the most successful YouTubers apart, he might consider the context in which almost all of the YouTubers he referenced are shooting. These YouTubers are not trying to shoot full length narrative works... they are Vloggers. Often times lighting means available or practical light. Sound maybe an on-camera mic, or even built in. It's about sharing the knowledge and experience... or if you would reporting the story. Now, if he wants to compare his work to those that are actually attempting to shoot true narrative works, with budgets to do so... there is an available list of academy Award nominated feature films from such folks readily available.

In defense of "Scope", While I see no point to merely adding black bars to the top and bottom of a video; I believe that conforming videos to cinemascope aspect ratio is actually a good idea. This belief has nothing to do with weather or not it looks cinematic... I believe this because doing so allows the video to  better fill the screen on newer smartphones that have wider aspect ratios.

It's much more useful to take a particular film or at least era and talk about how to replicate it. I think the guy who made that video is kind of talking about a lot of nothing. The types looking at how to get cinematic footage are not industry workers. It's not like people are coming into set with a YouTube degree and messings things up.

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

It's not like people are coming into set with a YouTube degree and messings things up.

I don't know about messing things up, but I recall someone on other forums saying that sometimes YT people get hired on a film set and IIRC they said that they are pretty useless overall because YT is just so different to a large set and how it works.