Sennheiser XSW-D (Wireless lav set)

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, zerocool22 said:

- Only internal battery that cannot be removed/replaced which will die out over the years. Best case scenario only runs for 5 hours.

6hrs is a deal breaker for so many of us. 

And within a few years the battery life will be halved. 

Who the hell wants wireless that goes for only 3hrs??

On 1/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, zerocool22 said:

Wondering if the G3/G4's will get a pricedrop. 

I don't care. 

Would rather hope the Sony UWP-D11 gets a price cut....

On 1/28/2019 at 12:25 AM, zerocool22 said:

You prob mean the sony UWP-D11? Over here there are still more expensive then the sennheiser g3 though. (almost 100€ more).

A non-issue that small price difference when you're talking about a wireless purchase, for what you get. 

• Super Members

I'm going to have a proper look at these at the BVE show in a few weeks.

On the basis that Sennheiser won't have invented their own battery, I think it is highly, highly likely that it uses one of the two battery types that I put on the previous page.

Looking at some higher res images, I can see the join in the case where it can be opened so, erm,well,you know, maybe I will be able to be to give a more definitive answer to a battery swap....

Is there anyting like this except one receiver works with 2-3 different transmitters? I know dual system sound is the better option, but a boom to one XLR and a set of lavs to the other seems useful for low end YouTube stuff, sketches, specs, etc.

Does such a solution exist? Lavs seem less useful when you can only use one at a time.... and most small cameras are limited to 1-2 XLR inputs.

• Super Members

I don't think there is a dual receiver for the 2.4gHz systems like this (though arguably the receivers seem compact enough to not have be a huge footprint even if you used two of them) but there are for the regular UHF systems.

I think the closest system price wise to this Sennheiser system is probably the Saramonic one.

Their twin receiver, lav with transmitter and plug on XLR transmitter is around $400 total.

Above that would be the Sony equivalents that Saramonic have obviously modelled their units on and which have a price difference that you'd expect for the more premium product.

7 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Is there anyting like this except one receiver works with 2-3 different transmitters? I know dual system sound is the better option, but a boom to one XLR and a set of lavs to the other seems useful for low end YouTube stuff, sketches, specs, etc.

Does such a solution exist? Lavs seem less useful when you can only use one at a time.... and most small cameras are limited to 1-2 XLR inputs.

There is the Sony one, which looses true diversity, if you connect 2 mics at the same time (which is a huge minus, and the reason I purchased the simple Rx),

and there is going to be a 2.4GhZ system by Aputure/Deity soon, but we really do not know much as of now, but it is imminent for release. Won't be as cheap though, probably double the price.

11 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Is there anyting like this except one receiver works with 2-3 different transmitters?

The Sony UWP series dual transmitter is the best option on the low end (at least until Deity launches theirs). But I wouldn't recommend it for most people. 

And on the pro end, then it is quite common with the Lectrosonics SR (I've got 2x SR) and others. 

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the closest system price wise to this Sennheiser system is probably the Saramonic one.

Their twin receiver, lav with transmitter and plug on XLR transmitter is around $400 total.

Saramonic is a lot cheaper than Sennheiser, and I wouldn't recommend. I should really do a comparison/review video one day between them. 
Stick with buying Sony  UWP-D11 if on a tight budget. 

• Super Members
36 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Saramonic is a lot cheaper than Sennheiser, and I wouldn't recommend. I should really do a comparison/review video one day between them. 
Stick with buying Sony  UWP-D11 if on a tight budget. 

Compared to the Sennheiser UHF stuff the Sarmonics are way cheaper but its more or less the same against this Sennheiser 2.4gHz system is what I was referring to.

The XSW-D ENG kit has the lav and transmitter, the XLR transmitter and one receiver. Adding an additional receiver brings the whole kit up to around £400 which is the same amount to have the equivalent twin channel Saramonic UHF setup.

I think for an awful lot of people with only a £400 budget for a new wireless setup for a DSLR etc this Sennheiser 2.4gHz system is going to be by far the better choice.

I've got a Saramonic system and, yeah, well...its OK but I w ul  t w n o r ly on  t fo  pa d w rk

Apologies for the dropouts there ;) 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Sony UWP series dual transmitter is the best option on the low end (at least until Deity launches theirs). But I wouldn't recommend it for most people. 

And on the pro end, then it is quite common with the Lectrosonics SR (I've got 2x SR) and others. 

Thanks, I'll hold off. Just curious at this point mostly.

I'm super happy with the RodeLink Filmmaker kit. Great sound quality, has never failed me. Like that you can have standard spare batteries.

This Senny kit is very interesting though for sure as it's tiny and can be switched to XLR and can be setup as a wireless interview mic or even wireless boom mic!

Pretty amazing stuff..