Sennheiser XSW-D (Wireless lav set)

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

USB-Rechargeable 5-Hour Batteries

OUCH!! That would be a major deal breaker for many of us. 

5 Systems at Once Max, Up to 250' Range

Also bad news. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, Adam Kuźniar said:

but I think it's too expensive

$350 is too expensive??? What the hell. 

I've got wireless which is TEN TIMES that 

14 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

OUCH!! That would be a major deal breaker for many of us. 

Also bad news. 

Actually this is dead cheap! What do you think about its usability? Could be useful to have on our arsenal? I was considering adding a fully digital one, maybe the new Aputure 2ch system will do nicely. Won't be dead cheap though.

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Actually this is dead cheap!

That is what I was saying too. 

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I was considering adding a fully digital one, maybe the new Aputure 2ch system will do nicely. Won't be dead cheap though.

Yeah the Aputure/Deity wireless will be substantially more expensive, but you're getting two channels of wireless. So on a "per channel" basis, then it won't be costing that much more. 

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That is what I was saying too. 

Yeah the Aputure/Deity wireless will be substantially more expensive, but you're getting two channels of wireless. So on a "per channel" basis, then it won't be costing that much more. 

And it seems like a more professional device also, but the advantage of the Sennheisser is exactly that, a dead simple eco-system to operate, and free your hands in various circumstances that do not have to overthink sound. 

Also every part of the ecosystem is very small. It could be a huge hit with con/pro-sumers. With their latest moves Senny seems to bring pro-features to the masses, a very clever strategy if I may say.

Problems:
- Only internal battery that cannot be removed/replaced which will die out over the years. Best case scenario only runs for 5 hours.
- Plastic housing: more risk to interference
- The signal is 2.4 Ghz, so maybe wifi signals could be a problem as well not sure. 

Wondering if the G3/G4's will get a pricedrop. 

54 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Problems:
- Only internal battery that cannot be removed/replaced which will die out over the years. Best case scenario only runs for 5 hours.
- Plastic housing: more risk to interference
- The signal is 2.4 Ghz, so maybe wifi signals could be a problem as well not sure. 

Wondering if the G3/G4's will get a pricedrop. 

For their intended use and budget these are not problems. They are 8mV only, they are not build for very demanding applications anyway, but for a short distance, they will be fine. Presentations, young musicians, lecturers, prosumer/consumer interviews.

There are a lot of competing systems at 2.4GhZ, and the new Aputure/Deity (is not out yet) will be at least twice the price, have in-build battery and work at the 2.4GhZ spectrum.

The AVX - which is double the price, work on 2.5GhZ and use 256 decryption (which creates a significant lag in recording also) and take batteries, althought special ones that cost significant money. Pretty cool for most cases and cameramen not wanting to spend much time (and money) for sound. A more appropriate buy for this forum's target group.

I saw a picture of one of those open, and they have one of those cylindrical batteries that gimbals have, nothing really special, seems like very easy to replace, and buy.

The Sony ones are a much better buy than the G3/G4, they are the ones pushing the G series down in price. If the G series have no issue with the signal, can be effective for a huge distance, but usually have issues with interference. I have stopped using them completely for a few years, now.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

For their intended use and budget these are not problems. They are 8mV only, they are not build for very demanding applications anyway, but for a short distance, they will be fine. Presentations, young musicians, lecturers, prosumer/consumer interviews.

There are a lot of competing systems at 2.4GhZ, and the new Aputure/Deity (is not out yet) will be at least twice the price, have in-build battery and work at the 2.4GhZ spectrum.

The AVX - which is double the price, work on 2.5GhZ and use 256 decryption (which creates a significant lag in recording also) and take batteries, althought special ones that cost significant money. Pretty cool for most cases and cameramen not wanting to spend much time (and money) for sound. A more appropriate buy for this forum's target group.

I saw a picture of one of those open, and they have one of those cylindrical batteries that gimbals have, nothing really special, seems like very easy to replace, and buy.

The Sony ones are a much better buy than the G3/G4, they are the ones pushing the G series down in price. If the G series have no issue with the signal, can be effective for a huge distance, but usually have issues with interference. I have stopped using them completely for a few years, now.

You prob mean the sony UWP-D11? Over here there are still more expensive then the sennheiser g3 though. (almost 100€ more). But then again if they are much better, and hold resale value more, it would make sense offcourse. 

5 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

You prob mean the sony UWP line right? Over here there are still more expensive then the sennheiser g3 though. 

Yes, but they are really competing with Zaxcom and Lectrosonics, which cost to the thousands, not as much as the G series. Hybrid systems bring the advantages of both worlds, while only analog (G series, older Lectros e.t.c) and only digital (2.XGhz) have some shortcomings. The industry moves to fully digital though.

Where are you from? What is the difference? In Europe is just mininal at total numbers (between 5%-10% depending where you shop).

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Based on the 3.7V/850mAh spec on the new product's web page it is very likely to be one of these two options.

They are less than £15 for a set of 4 with a charger so an enterprising user could even modify their unit fairly easily to make the battery field swappable for extended use and backup.

Nitecore-14500-850mAh-NL1845-Li-ion-Battery_Lightorati-India_01-800x600.jpg.bd3baa65e7dab626ba58ad6e82017167.jpg1417203318965-P-2216042.jpg.4aa63d362ab2c771f4da2b5071e6efa1.jpg

12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Problems:

More importantly, you’re completely screwed on location if you don’t charge the only battery available. Do they have an auto shutoff like the updated rode vmp did? 5 hours is also super limiting if you have a full day of shooting...

11 hours ago, BenEricson said:

More importantly, you’re completely screwed on location if you don’t charge the only battery available. Do they have an auto shutoff like the updated rode vmp did? 5 hours is also super limiting if you have a full day of shooting...

Guys, I think you are missing the point here.

This is a consumer product, cheaper and vastly smaller than the Rode/Audio Technica ones. There are 4-5 different Sennheiser wireless LINES, choose from a different one.

Professional wireless systems cost thousandsof $€£ per channel, would you think a 350$€£ device could beat all of them?

Plus, the device is usb c rechargeable, so you can have a power bank charge when moving/setting lights/having a brake/driving e.t.c 

5 hours is good to do 5 interviews, which probably need double the time to set everything, so a full working day, really.

I see Sennheisser being very clever bringing products to the mILC/smartphone generations, for limited use, some of those could be good for us too.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, Mako Sports said:

Isn't the rode filmmaker kit also $350??

On 1/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, IronFilm said:

I see you guys aren't dead broke like me xD This is dead-ass cheap - https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/saramonic-sr-wm4c-wireless-microphone

Of course Rode Filmmaker and Sennehsier XSW-D are on another level quality wise :)

6 hours ago, colepat said:

I'm personally super interested to see how these preform. I own the G3 and love them. But something like this could be a great second or something small to throw in a bag just in case of quick on the spot interviews. 

I agree! that is the point.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Do you guys ever use Lav's for film/documentary, as I would guess shotgun mics like mkh-416 are preferred on most sets. 

Depending the set, and the budget of the project. Sound equipmemt for a feature film can be a lot of dozens of thousands. Even my equipment worths more than 10.000€, easily. One needs also a lot of specialized accessories and the such which add up considerably.

416 is not even near the top of mics anymore. It is a good staple, I love mine, but there are a lot of better mics out there, and different ones, depending the job. It is my #1 choice for harsh weather documentaries though.

1 hour ago, Grimor said:

How is Sound Quality compared with Senn/Sony or Rode Wireless? 

I bet all have similar quality, more important is placememt and what mic capsules one uses. DPA and Sanken are some of the best in business, which one capsule costs almost twice than this system!