Olympus E-M1X - is it worth $3000?

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

That is a 4000 dollar lens that has a Loud focus motor in it! My birthday is coming up. I will send you my address LoL.

Sure, it is on its way!    You should wait next to your mailbox.           didn't say it made sense, just that there (almost) is such a thing as an AF 50 0.95 lens or at least it IS possible.    You can also AF those super fast lenses on various systems with some AF adapters.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Oly is dead. Fuji is bringing nice tech on the table (XT3 specs) and medium format, Panasonic is going FF and has class leading cameras (GH5). 

This camera will be the biggest flop of the year. Oly brings nothing to the table and again, they will die. 

Bye Oly.

Probably a bit dramatic but probably true. 

Olympus is forecasting a loss of US$120m on US$500m for its imaging division. Imaging has lost money 9 out of the last 10 years and revenues have fallen 85% from US$3bn to US$500m (that works out at US$300 loss for every camera they sell.).

The new Olympus is an absurd product. Back to their 43 camera concept of small sensor big camera, which didnt work last time around and isnt going to this time. It is not a photography concept and while it might be a video one, it simply isnt a particularly good video camera.

I would expect Olympus to shut up shop for cameras within 12 months...

On 1/25/2019 at 4:49 AM, frontfocus said:

Olympus, as well as Pentax are top notch when it comes to weather sealing.

Ironically two of the companies most at risk of dying out. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, DBounce said:

Good luck selling a $3k GH6. I cannot fathom what it would need to have to justify that price whilst keeping the smaller sensor. 

All the goodness of the GH5S/GH5 combined, plus: internal 4K 120fps 10bit, raw over HDMI, internal NDs, and fixed TC. 

Many people would buy that GH6 for $3K in a heartbeat. 

@DBounce said: Good luck selling a $3k GH6. I cannot fathom what it would need to have to justify that price whilst keeping the smaller sensor. 

@IronFilm

All the goodness of the GH5S/GH5 combined, plus: internal 4K 120fps 10bit, raw over HDMI, internal NDs, and fixed TC. 

... Moreover, what looks a sort of miscalculation (if it is not fan attitude) to me is to hang on comparing just initial price that usually affect people already hardly affected with GAS :) This is especially relevant with cameras that are as pioneers, aka are first ones that bring some important innovations and reckons on longer comparative market life - as obviously GH line or BM products. With such products just wait 6 or 12 months and here and there will arise possibilities to buy used ones, or presentation ones, or half grey marketed etc... As already mention several times, GH5 after 2 years has qualities still unmatched with newest products of other manufacturers (and it seems it will stay the same at least for another cycle of new camera wave), or first BM Pocket or Micro keep their original advantages for several years. In another words, it seems to me that really exists few cameras for which is much more important what they brings to table than if their initial GAS nurturing price is +/- 500$ - because of their prolonged important-life cycle...

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If they could also get the dynamic range up to 13-stops or so, this would be an instant buy. I keep thinking they might as well make the GH5 the ultimate MFT video camera - as a B-Cam to the EVA1 or just as the best video journalist, low budget doc filmmaker, or one-man band filmmaker camera. 

Just add internal NDs and better pre-amps with the XLR adapter and a 4" screen, along with the GH5s low light ability. Then throw in what you mentioned and it would be the perfect small profile doc camera. Also the best place to be the first manufacturer to get 6k and 8k in a mirrorless model (though I don't think this is necessary right now - more of a GH7 thing). 

If you want photos, buy the G9-line or the new full frame line. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ironically two of the companies most at risk of dying out. 

Raw is all the rage... and it can save the day sometimes.  But the truth is if you can avoid the need to shoot in raw you will make your post production much easier. I never shoot raw under controlled conditions. I try to setup my shots so post work involves only minor changes at best.  Storage of all that raw data can become a headache quickly. And even though storage can be had pretty cheaply... $3k or so for a raid... physical space for all the hardware starts to become a problem.  If Panasonic includes the mythical organic sensor... I believe raw becomes irrelevant for 99% of the user base. But honestly, I see little chance of this sensor making its way into a GH camera any time soon. However,  we might see it slow up in a Fuji camera. They partnered with Panasonic to craft the technology. 

Fixed TC will not happen... they could have fixed it on the GH5/s but chose not to. 

The 4k slow-mo is nothing I care about. Truthfully, I think I might have used slow-mo once. I don't shoot music videos and when filming my family... well they move at real time speed. I would wager slow-mo is more of a nice to have,  but not important to most people here just like it is on smartphones. It's the sort of thing that gets used once and then quickly forgotten about. 

On 2/3/2019 at 5:17 AM, webrunner5 said:

Hmm, Jordan did a really nice job on this review. He seems to like it. It looks like a better video camera than we have thought. I sort of wish I could afford it now.

This is a great review. I very much like how he deals with all the problems and then at the end says how the camera was fun to use and is a really good and effective camera.

Looks like a great camera. 

As a previous owner of the EM5II, all I know is that their IBIS has some serious voodoo that I find useful.  Their IBIS just works better than others.  The things I would do handheld with Oly I wouldn't necessarily attempt with the GH5 for example.  

As a doc shooter, I'm anxiously watching what Olympus does as I'd like to be shooting an Oly cam with their paired stabilized lenses on a project later in the year.  Might rent this camera, don't know yet.

For me, other features are way more important than the "best" IQ.  And, honestly, I think the Oly color is pleasing, the IQ is fine, and the operating ergos agree with me, so that's a plus.

Really, just wondering when the EM5III will be released and will it have 60p4K?  In the meantime, my other cameras are more than fine.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Uh, they looked almost like GoPro hypersmooth levels. Did you watch it at 13:30? It’s the best IBIS we’ve seen so far, I’m not saying it’s a revolution. 

Well, I sold two gimbals waiting for price drop to buy Olympus Em1 II for that rare walking shots :) (Although, in meanwhile I bought  gimbal again and wait it to come from UK :) 

Yes, without doubt example at which you point is impressive, but it is achieved with 12-100 lens and surely with inner ES (maybe even with touch of work in post). I had some impressive examples of walking shots from Em1 II from net, that's why I wrote - nothing revolutionary, but just in comparison with already remarkable EM1 II.