Olympus E-M1X - is it worth $3000?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

the unpleasant thing is, that this shows how bad the E-M1 II was and not how good the E-M1x is. 
It will be interesting to see, how the camera compares to the real focussing monsters, A9, A6400, X-T3 or the best DSLRs. 

Depends how you see it. I view this more as how big the AF/CAF improvement is, simply for the fact as you read everywhere how limited the advancements in AF apparently are....

But of course there has to be a comparison with the GH5 and lates Sony A7...

B

not interesting for video really, same variable bitrate codec as EM1.2. I think maybe Panasonic and Olympus fell out and Panasonic didn't share any new codec.

Panasonic cameras as so much better IMO, the 10bit ALL-I codec is solid and Panasonic IBIS works better for video (Olympus IBIS warps the edges)

I do like Olympus f1.2 lenses though, so I do hope Olympus do well

Olympus should make a compact XT-3 like camera, with a new H265 10bit processor and latest AF performance, that would be nice 

Very disappointing as I thought for sure it would have an electronic ND for video. That would be the one feature that would have set it apart.

I think you’ll see M43 be the area where features will be offered a year or two before full frame cameras (due to less processing power needed for smaller sensor). The GH5 has features that still have not been replicated in the full frame world (4K 60p, 10-bit All-I, etc) - and that’s been out for more than two years. Funny that it seems Panasonic will be the one to change that. 

The GH6 will be the big test. I’m guessing it will have 6k or 8k, 120fps 4K, and internal NDs - maybe even updated XLR functions. Hopefully GH5s low light capabilities too. 

They might as well make it the ultimate indie doc camera (like an XC-15 with MFT Mount and all the big features). Those features paired with their new 10-25mm f1.7 could be the ultimate journalist, doc filmmaker camera.

Wow what a disappointment for video! 

I do have to disagree with some commenters here tough, I don’t think M43 is going anywhere anytime soon. 

The GH5, 2 years on, still hasn’t been beat. The GH6 will likely set the world on fire again. The Z cam E2 and BMPCC4k are powerhouses. It’s a really great format that just seems to be getting better, very quickly. 

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah.  For me, it really is the ideal format.  Small, nimble, and perfect for doc work.

Aside from having a FF cam to allow extreme shallow DOF in tricky interview/talking-head settings, I really don't want for much else.

Agreed. Or if Panasonic can give me a f0.95 lineup of lenses (like Voigtlander) but with autofocus, that would solve that problem as well. I find f2 on full frame to be my favorite balance of shallow depth of field while still being able to hit focus consistently.

7 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Agreed. Or if Panasonic can give me a f0.95 lineup of lenses (like Voigtlander) but with autofocus, that would solve that problem as well. I find f2 on full frame to be my favorite balance of shallow depth of field while still being able to hit focus consistently.

I have the Voits.  They're nice, but wide open expect spherochromatism a bit.  A FF with a sharp lens @f1.8 still can't be beat.  That's physics.  Still, I shoot interviews all the time with M43 'cause that's what I got.  When I feel I really need FF on a shoot, I just go and get FF.  DSLR rental is cheap.

7 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Yeah but the problem is as far as I know is Nobody makes a lens that fast with AF.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, EspenB said:

Do you see a lot of new camera and lens announcements from either Panasonic or Olympus these days?

If Panasonic gets to the GH6 eventually it will likely be priced like this "X" from Olympus. Or more.

Panasonic lens releases have increased in the last couple of years - Leica 12-60, Leica 8-18, Leica 50-200, Leica 100-400, 200mm 2.8, 12mm 1.4, 12-35 II, 35-100 II 2.8, 10--25mm 1.7 announced, and more planned this year. Groundwork for the organic sensor that will make FF superfluous like Medium Format is now. 

We probably won't see a big release until end 2020 with organic sensor global shutter 120fps raw GH6

36 minutes ago, John Jay said:

Panasonic lens releases have increased in the last couple of years - Leica 12-60, Leica 8-18, Leica 50-200, Leica 100-400, 200mm 2.8, 12mm 1.4, 12-35 II, 35-100 II 2.8, 10--25mm 1.7 announced, and more planned this year. Groundwork for the organic sensor that will make FF superfluous like Medium Format is now. 

We probably won't see a big release until end 2020 with organic sensor global shutter 120fps raw GH6

Why global shutter?

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but the problem is as far as I know is Nobody makes a lens that fast with AF.

You can always adapt the old Canon EF 50 f1 to M43 (that is less than a third of a stop slower than f0.95).

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Because that is what Sony is supposedly working on, and buyers might not have much choice. Why not if they can overcome the lower DR problem with them. Good chance one might be in the a7s mk III.

Global shutter sensors for digital stills cameras are not planned before 2020, it'll be Gen 6/7 architecture. FYI currently it's mostly Gen 3/4 (IMX310, IMX410 etc).