Olympus E-M1X - is it worth $3000?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

olympus-e-m1x.jpg

Now it's been officially released I have to say I am a little bit disappointed. I had expected an all-new technological marvel to justify the price tag but the E-M1X is still very much based on 2-year old technology from the E-M1 II.

It is a little bit like an E-M1 II with a firmware update and vertical grip.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
40 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Will it sell? At $3000? I have severe doubts!

For some context, these are the trade in offers (including an additional bonus of £200!) that WEX sent out with the product announcement.

The harsh reality is would I swap my D500 and £1759 for this camera?

Very, very unlikely.

When I look it in terms of adding another £200 to that £1759 and ending up with a Z6 and my D500, I'd upgrade that statement to absolutely no fucking chance whatsoever ;)

1514517564_ScreenShot2019-01-24at14_08_52.thumb.jpg.b5fe3dc0c878c4cb7f6615e1b31b2cc6.jpg

3 hours ago, frontfocus said:

The camera is not the problem, it’s the price. it’s an E-M1 II with grip, tiny hardware additions and new firmware. So if we take the price of an E-M1 II with grip and add a few bucks, we end up at 2000€, which would be much more resonable then 3000€.

It's not a E-M1 II with a grip. In terms of the body it is greatly updated. The weather-sealing is top notch. It no doubt is a much tougher camera. Granted, it shares much of its electronics with the E-M1 II, but the body is a huge upgrade. That said, you would have to be a bit insane to want to plop down $3000 for this camera. From all accounts this camera is robust, but it is outdated in many important ways. While the image stabilization is amazing, the warping effect that it sometimes produces will be the gremlin that ruins the important must get shot for you. 

It's not hard to make the decision to pass on this one. I think this camera may be further proof that M43 is dying. They could have done something epic at this price point.... built in ND, Global shutter, Dual ISO, 120 fps 4k.... the body is certainly large enough; but all they did was to toughen the body and rehash some old tech. Pity. 

@DBounce yeah, it's a new tougher body. But to be honest, I have never had any problems with the E-M5. Olympus, as well as Pentax are top notch when it comes to weather sealing. What I meant was not that it's the exactly same body, but that you get the same basic concept: rugged big body with 2 batteries. Same sensor and other basic stuff. 

And yeah, I noticed a lot of warping on most of the footage. If I look at the dpreview video, I get seasick .

https://youtu.be/AffPoX5VZ7E?t=51

I really wanted to like this camera... but there are so many other choices at lower price points with arguably as good or better overall features that I can’t justify buying one. It’s hard for me to envision anyone switching brands for this camera or adding one to their existing kit for an additional feature set.  Even for die-hard Oly fans the EM1-mk2 seems like a much better value as a “Pro” camera and for casual use the EM-10mk3 can’t be beat. Not sure who will really buy the EM-1X for $3k. Seems like a real missed opportunity for Olympus to increase their market share.

Wow, I can’t believe Olympus dropped the ball on this one. This was their chance to prove they could pack enough compelling features into a M4/3 camera to justify the price point of $3000. If they had electronic ND, 4K/60p and amazing IBIS it would have a chance in the video world. Everybody wants the Pro full frame look now in photos. It’s over. 

If Panasonic doesn’t release a killer M4/3 camera with these features then I’m afraid GH5S will be the last m4/3 camera I buy.

I’ll give up sensor size for compelling features any day. Stop adding compelling features....what’s the point.

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Bummer, not surprising as Olympus besides IBIS has never done anything impressive in the video department. 

Yeah for the Olympus EM1 mk II and the Panasonic GH5 both company's helped each other out. Panny helped Oly on the video side, Oly helped Panny on the IBIS side. And now it looks like the marriage is over. Olympus declining the L mount move and now going it alone. Looks kind of grim down the road to be honest for Olympus, and even m4/3..

5 hours ago, frontfocus said:

The camera is not the problem, it’s the price. it’s an E-M1 II with grip, tiny hardware additions and new firmware. So if we take the price of an E-M1 II with grip and add a few bucks, we end up at 2000€, which would be much more resonable then 3000€.

It will probably be available for USD2000 in six months.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

For some context, these are the trade in offers (including an additional bonus of £200!) that WEX sent out with the product announcement.

The harsh reality is would I swap my D500 and £1759 for this camera?

Very, very unlikely.

When I look it in terms of adding another £200 to that £1759 and ending up with a Z6 and my D500, I'd upgrade that statement to absolutely no fucking chance whatsoever ;)

1514517564_ScreenShot2019-01-24at14_08_52.thumb.jpg.b5fe3dc0c878c4cb7f6615e1b31b2cc6.jpg

I had a nice used bargain from them this week, when I picked up a Fuji X100F for £700.

The description said it had heavy marks on the screen.

When it arrived, I just rubbed the screen with my thumb and the marks vanished :)

Let's keep it this way. If word gets out that their testing team should use an occasional spit and polish, the bargains won't look quite so compelling!

13 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Wow, I can’t believe Olympus dropped the ball on this one. This was their chance to prove they could pack enough compelling features into a M4/3 camera to justify the price point of $3000. If they had electronic ND, 4K/60p and amazing IBIS it would have a chance in the video world. Everybody wants the Pro full frame look now in photos. It’s over. 

If Panasonic doesn’t release a killer M4/3 camera with these features then I’m afraid GH5S will be the last m4/3 camera I buy.

I’ll give up sensor size for compelling features any day. Stop adding compelling features....what’s the point.

They are aiming at 1D X II and D5 users with the pricing. "Buy Olympus... we're cheaper and lighter"

I'll be very surprised if the tactic works.

And for the enthusiasts, they are not going to pony up $3k for something with worse specs than a G9 ;)

This is intended for sports and wildlife photography. Or so they said.

But the new 150-400 mm f4.5 lens is not scheduled until some time in 2020!!!

It basically means that it might be 12-18-24 months away.

By that time this camera, m43 and Olympus will already be obsolete.

27 minutes ago, EspenB said:

This is intended for sports and wildlife photography. Or so they said.

But the new 150-400 mm f4.5 lens is not scheduled until some time in 2020!!!

It basically means that it might be 12-18-24 months away.

By that time this camera, m43 and Olympus will already be obsolete.

I doubt M43 will be obsolete but we'll see. 

28 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I doubt M43 will be obsolete but we'll see. 

Do you see a lot of new camera and lens announcements from either Panasonic or Olympus these days?

If Panasonic gets to the GH6 eventually it will likely be priced like this "X" from Olympus. Or more.