Some camera geek talk why i still like the 6dmkii in 2019

socs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, socs said:

Be nice :)

Canon cameras have a lot of things going for them in both the image and non-image departments - from things like colour science and DPAF, to reliability, and to ergonomics and lens selection.  

Sometimes the internet can overlook non-image considerations like reliability and ergonomics and be caught up in a frenzy of just wanting pure specs like stupidly high resolution, enormous bitrates, and radical over-sharpening.  This forum tries not to get caught up in specs-only discussions (although we do sometimes), and we have a healthy respect for the softer cinema-like rendering of film, the lower resolutions from ARRI and pre-4K cinema cameras, but mostly we draw the line at the barely-720p fuzziness that Canon passes off as it's 1080p files.  

Partly it's because the image from Canon is so lacking in comparison to other offerings at similar price points (or even getting used equipment at half or a third their price points), and partly because through Magic Lantern we've seen what the hardware is capable of producing, and yet Canon continues to protect it's cinema line-up by not wringing the best out of its existing hardware architectures.  A lot of people on here started shooting video on Canon DSLRs and have migrated through frustration to the other brands because the image quality just didn't meet minimum standards.

In terms of being nice, you won't find people here being nice all the time... however you will find that most people here are forthright with their opinions but are mostly sincere and want to help.  

Welcome!

He is Politely stating that you will probably not find a lot of love on here for a Canon 6D mk II LoL.  But there are worse cameras. It is not a bad Overall camera, and now just about any newer modern camera is really pretty good. But for the money I think most of us would go a different route. You May be the only one I know of on here that has one, or at least admits to it, let alone would prefer it over a X-T3.. ?

But with the DPAF, flippy screen, FF, for the right money it has some redeeming properties.

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

This is pretty much a video forum tho

And I think that’s my point. On a video forum, some of the users don’t even realize what people use in the real world to make money. Go to IG and search any camera a lot of people here would scoff at to get a rude awakening. 

But I think this is more a video gear forum. 

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

And I think that’s my point. On a video forum, some of the users don’t even realize what people use in the real world to make money. Go to IG and search any camera a lot of people here would scoff at to get a rude awakening. 

But I think this is more a video gear forum. 

Being a video geek and being someone who actually makes money can be two different things?

15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Being a video geek and being someone who actually makes money can be two different things?

No doubt, I’m definitely in the former category. But I think the OP made some valid points in his video and backed it up with video. The X-T3 could not handle the lowlight as well as the 6D Mark ii did. And with a low DR shot like that night exterior, 4K adds nothing to the equation. 

31 minutes ago, mercer said:

No doubt, I’m definitely in the former category. But I think the OP made some valid points in his video and backed it up with video. The X-T3 could not handle the lowlight as well as the 6D Mark ii did. And with a low DR shot like that night exterior, 4K adds nothing to the equation. 

Yeah the 6D is probably about a stop better at high ISO's in regards to noise performance. Honestly though looking at stills I think if you used post NR, the XT3 would be just as good. Reason I say this is because its holding more detail at the same ISO's. That is more work though which is not ideal. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Seems like a decent list to me !

romans.jpg.863dd9e3888f4c4f51f7160349cd6e0f.jpg

Well I guess since Casey Neistat was using it to VLog with it has great potential. ?

I am sure Canon sold more of them than I think. You have to figure it is Canon's answer to the Nikon D750. And they sold a lot of them. I guess it was the let down of no 4K in it after that long of wait. I think if I was Canon right now I would be a bit scared. I don't think Canon can afford to pull a Canon anymore.

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Canon is now the highest seller in the mirrorless market and the DSLR market... I think they’ll be fine. 

*In Japan, which is a consideraby smaller market than North America and the EU.

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think a large portion of cameras sales are from people who know little about camera specs. If you think cameras Canon is probably the first thing to come to mind for most people. 

Most people don't buy Canon becuase specs its bc of the name itself sells the product, same thing as Apple Products.

Ehh.

For me the issue with Canon cameras isn't what they are, it's what they could've been. I mean how is it that 6D2 has the exact same image quality as an entry-level SL2 which has the same image quality as the top-of-the-line 5D4? I'm not even talking IBIS, 4K, 1080p slowmo, all that jazz. I'm talking sharpness and IQ worse than a smartphone camera.. 

I still recommend the SL2 or 6D2 for people who couldn't care less about that because in terms of ease of use and reliability, Canon cameras are way up there but I'll never support releasing 5 year old products for price of a current one.