GH5 cold & weather

@yan_berthemy_photography

I have a question about GH5 and weather.

I experienced moisture on my lens when removing the lens cap from outside to home because of condensation

to clarify, I went from home to outside with the lens on the body and went back home with lens still on the body, the only issue is that I removed lens cap when coming back home... and had moisture on the glass... I waited for the camera body temperature to be stable, then, after 1 hour, I removed the lens off the body and put the sensor cap, what about the lens? Is it damaged? what about the sensor? 

For the sensor, I am a bit worried, it was 0 degrees outside and went to my home with over 27 degrees, I did not expose the body sensor to air, or I hope air did not enter through the lens...

Can sensor experience issues?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The best way is to avoid getting condensation on the camera at all.  The best way is to keep the camera in a bag and let everything come up to temperature over a 5-20 minute period.

If you have the camera exposed when you make the transition, it's unlikely that much condensation has happened inside the camera, unless you take the lens off, so don't do that.  If you are going from cold to warm/humid and need to use the camera quickly then I would suggest changing the lens before the transition and then de-fogging the camera by gently blowing air on it with a blower, but not enough to create drops of water from the fog.  Don't blow on them yourself - lungs make air humid and will make the fog worse.

I use my cameras in Lapland at down to -35. Condensation is unfortunately unavoidable if used outside for hours. My habit is simply to take the batteries out and then leave the cameras alone - occasionally wiping excess moisture away and eventually things clear. I never remove the lens. I don’t go outside again until the camera is dry otherwise (I assume) there’s a risk of ice damage. 

The only camera which didn’t like the cold was the original Pocket - it switched off very quickly. The A7S was dropped into powder snow occasionally and (again making sure it was dry before switching it on) was fine. The biggest problem was the Micro - impossible to use with gloves on so fingers got very very cold. I must be one of the few who has got a Sony rx100 to shut down due to cold...

The P4k is perfect having a plastic shell and given the price isn’t going to cause me absolute panic if something does happen. I’m sure professional rigs use heated jackets (covers with hand warmers) but other than a plastic bag if it snows heavily (pulled down over the tripod) my cameras are naked. 

There must be a degree of heat generation internally which is protective during operation. 

I think the most important factor is time - let the camera adjust naturally.

5 hours ago, kye said:

The best way is to avoid getting condensation on the camera at all.  The best way is to keep the camera in a bag and let everything come up to temperature over a 5-20 minute period.

If you have the camera exposed when you make the transition, it's unlikely that much condensation has happened inside the camera, unless you take the lens off, so don't do that.  If you are going from cold to warm/humid and need to use the camera quickly then I would suggest changing the lens before the transition and then de-fogging the camera by gently blowing air on it with a blower, but not enough to create drops of water from the fog.  Don't blow on them yourself - lungs make air humid and will make the fog worse.

Ok, thanks @kye

As I mentioned, I did not remove the lens from the body when I did the very fast transition, I waited around 1 hour hours for a stable temp,  is the sensor affected?

2 hours ago, kye said:

I doubt it would be.  How does the image look from it now?

@kye the image looks normal, nothing to mention...

2 hours ago, kye said:

Anyway, the sensor is not glass so does not make any moisture, I have a bag now, so I can do the transition safely. 

my lens got some moisture but I cleaned it, no physical issues I guess, what is the risk of having a lens that had moisture?

3 hours ago, kye said:

@kye

Provided some photos and videos I did, tell me if you see something wrong, please... There is one picture where I zoomed and two others zoomed in AE.

The outside picture, was filmed with V-LOG, I did expose a little bit too much...

P1000154.JPG

Capture d’écran 2019-01-19 à 18.16.58.png

Capture d’écran 2019-01-19 à 18.19.21.png

shot with V-LOG 4K 10BIT:

Capture d’écran 2019-01-19 à 18.23.13.png

zoomed in AE, PIXELS ARE NORMAL.

Capture d’écran 2019-01-19 à 18.26.04.png

Capture d’écran 2019-01-19 à 18.26.17.png

38 minutes ago, @yan_berthemy_photography said:

@kye

Anyway, the sensor is not glass so does not make any moisture, I have a bag now, so I can do the transition safely. 

True the sensor is not glass but there are glass layers stacked on top of the sensor. You would never be able to clean it if it didn't. And some have a Low-pass filter / Anti-aliasing filter
, and a Infrared filter, (hot mirror) also. The thickness varies by manufacturers. So they are really not as fragile as you would think.

Just now, webrunner5 said:

True the sensor is not glass but there are glass layers stacked on top of the sensor. You would never be able to clean it if it didn't. And some have a Low-pass filter / Anti-aliasing filter
, and a Infrared filter, (hot mirror) also. The thickness varies by manufacturers. So they are really not as fragile as you would think.

@webrunner5 are my images ok?

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes, other than being a bit too noisy. I am not too sure how you are suppose to expose with V Log on a GH5, ETTR? So I won't suggest what you are suppose to do LoL.

Noises are normal?  I guess because on every panasonic devices I had, I always had noises

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes, other than being a bit too noisy. I am not too sure how you are suppose to expose with V Log on a GH5, ETTR? So I won't suggest what you are suppose to do LoL.

The V-LOG was just a test

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You are doing something wrong then. Unless you are shooting at 10,000 ISO they should be reasonably clean. Especially a GH5.

What ISO was the window with a Jacket or what ever it is hanging there shot at??

I will do another test wait (I'm using 1.7 lens)

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You are doing something wrong then. Unless you are shooting at 10,000 ISO they should be reasonably clean. Especially a GH5.

What ISO was the window with a Jacket or what ever it is hanging there shot at??

@webrunner5

here is a pic at ISO 800

P1000156.JPG

Ah that looks pretty good. From a few quick reads on the web it looks for best results DON'T overexpose using V Log on the GH5. Try to get it right to start with. Now some cameras that have a pretty crazy log like say SLog 3 on a Sony you have to overexposure 2 to even 3 stops to get it right.

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Ah that looks pretty good. From a few quick reads on the web it looks for best results DON'T overexpose using V Log on the GH5. Try to get it right to start with. Now some cameras that have a pretty crazy log like say SLog 3 on a Sony you have to overexposure 2 to even 3 stops to get it right.

Ok, thanks a lot for the suggestion, I won't expose V-LOG too much, it's very white.

Here are some photos I did yesterday, after warm to cold transition:

https://unsplash.com/photos/7a2wg7vAqi8

https://unsplash.com/photos/BS_9A8IKlQ4

Tell me what you think

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Ahh I like the B&W. Hardly anyone, me included shoots it much anymore. Looks good, even grain wise for the situation. Actually I sort of like grain using B&W.

so, is my sensor ok? didn't detach the lens when I did the transition and waited few hours for the temperature be stable, I guess it's perfect?