Nikon Z9 and Z5 plus affordable 4K shooting D5700 in the works?

Andrew Reid

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the D5700 might be a winner as well if they keep the price to the sub £600 mark of the current one as I can't be alone in thinking the pricing of new bodies is getting a bit steep now?

Don't forget high end cameras like the D4 used to cost over £3000. And they barely even had any video features (if at all?)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Don't forget high end cameras like the D4 used to cost over £3000. And they barely even had any video features (if at all?)

Mine cost me more than that to be fair and as it has now developed a sticky shutter issue that makes it borderline beyond economic repair then I suppose I do by default now own a mirrorless full frame Nikon albeit an HD one !

I suppose I am guilty of having an outdated price perception threshold in my head of anything north of £3K being the realm of pro workhorse cameras and of MFT cameras topping out at £1K. 

A loaf of bread is still 2 shillings and sixpence though, right? ;)

Love the push is Nikon doing for this 2019... Raw Hdmi output, more body for different budgets.

The only thing that is weird for me is the D5700. Imho i't does't make much sense to launch a new "DSLR" style for the lower market, because in general the entry level user looks for the more "practical" features and easy to use. New shooters are in general younger people, and they come from using their phones or some type of hybrid camera. I Think they should aim to a Aps-c mirrorless like the m50, cheap but more prosumer and better build. The DSLR market are more the old professionals, the people with experience that still like the mirror system.

i don't know, is the way i see it. 

d5300/d5500 was a dog to use for video (I assume the d5600 was too). I put up with it because the image was nice, and because the video was so obviously a "and also" feature.  The z6 has aspects of dogginess, but I have less patience with it because its supposed to be aimed at video makers. 

41 minutes ago, gethin said:

d5300/d5500 was a dog to use for video (I assume the d5600 was too). I put up with it because the image was nice, and because the video was so obviously a "and also" feature.  The z6 has aspects of dogginess, but I have less patience with it because its supposed to be aimed at video makers. 

I liked using the D5500 for video. The flat profile was beautiful and the whole camera felt like an extension of my hand. Sure LiveView was annoying and the lack of exposure tools were an inconvenience (but there was a workaround) but in most cases it was fun to go back to exposing with my eye and having such clean video with more than enough latitude. 

Sony is still selling the original A7 with kit lens for £879. They can do this by reducing the price of legacy models, which obviously Nikon can't in the mirrorless market. 
Nikon wants to compete in that segment, makes perfect sense. They may have to cut some corners to do it, but the A7 is a perfectly respectable stills camera (with less than brilliant AF), and the full frame stills market is probably still larger than those looking for 4K video shooting.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, Wild Ranger said:

Love the push is Nikon doing for this 2019... Raw Hdmi output, more body for different budgets.

The only thing that is weird for me is the D5700. Imho i't does't make much sense to launch a new "DSLR" style for the lower market, because in general the entry level user looks for the more "practical" features and easy to use. New shooters are in general younger people, and they come from using their phones or some type of hybrid camera. I Think they should aim to a Aps-c mirrorless like the m50, cheap but more prosumer and better build. The DSLR market are more the old professionals, the people with experience that still like the mirror system.

i don't know, is the way i see it. 

Plenty of buyers like myself of the D5x00 who have extensive experience with DSLRs but just want a budget priced body 

One of the reasons I'm still really interested in shooting Nikon asp-c is because of their lens lineup. They have a lot of smallish, F1.8 primes between 16 and 50mm. They also have that 16-80mm f2.8-4 (which at 50mm is f3.5) and unlike Fuji, have the Tolima 11-16mm f2.8 at a very reasonable price. 

Other than lenses, I loved the ergonomics and image quality of the d5500.

If they're going to do a real upgrade this year then I hope they add good phase detect autofocus in live view, a better rear LCD (oled?), Better preamps (d5500 had garbage) and slightly better OVF (without sacrificing body size). I can take or leave 4k personally.