What LUT For 8-bit CLOG > 709?

Snowbro

I have always just manually graded, I got the official LUTS from Canon, but there are a million lol. What LUT works best for 8-bit CLOG (not 2 or 3) to rec709? I didn't have time to go through all of them, but most say 10 or 12, assuming that's 10 & 12 bit. I tried a WDR one and that was better. This is for the EOS R default Log footage. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, I still haven't read any instructions. I used the CinemaGamut_CanonLog-to-BT709_65 and that seems to be close. I set my camera to ISO 400 and tried ISO 600 with a large key light and small background light. Normal exposure and slightly over exposed; both show pink and green in horizontal bars about 1/8th the screen size. This is on the background wall, it is also quite noisey, enough that I have to use some NR which is a pain. I tried the same settings on the 1DX with Cinestyle, Marvels etc. and there is virtually no noise. I used 12 bit CLOG2 from a C200 & didn't have this bad of noise, also no banding. The only thing I can do is turn on all the lights? Exposure was already close to clipping at ISO 600. Not sure why I can see the same colored banding I see on the EOS R when pushing shadows hard in a raw photo? I saw this when originally testing an Eos R in October, that was without Clog. WTF did they do to these sensors over the 5D IV?

Like I have said before, the footage from this camera in 1080p at 24 or 30fps looks decent. I really don't want to buy c200 right now, or old c100 etc. I need a second angle and sick of borrowing/renting every other month. 

She wasn't happy to do this test late tonight ?.Screenshot is just 1080p ISO400 CLOG > 709 via CinemaGamut_CanonLog-to-BT709_65 (happens even with just basic s curve, no lut). No adjustments made, once I do, banding and noise obviously get a little worse. Purple/Pink, then Green above it to the left of monitor, then purple on bag below. (Hard to see how bad the noise is in the compressed jpg on a phone, but it is nasty in motion)

EosRBanding.jpg

Virtually nothing in the same spot at ISO 400 on the 1DX ii in Marvels WITH the exposure raised 1 stop (Img compression makes it look much worse than it is, can't see noise at all in premiere/original jpg)

1DXExposureRaisedISO400.thumb.jpg.e1d8320734b20a452ef07fc8deaa89c1.jpg

What software are you using @Snowbro?

LUTs are a last-resort for me, but in Resolve there are more options than other platforms, so you play the cards you have :)

I agree with @mercer about exposing C-Log as ETTR, or just don't shoot C-log unless you need to for the DR.

I suspect that the LUT you use probably isn't the issue, it's the image.  The way to check this is to film a scene in C-Log, and in one of the normal modes (whatever takes your fancy) and then compare the following:

• the normal profile SOOC
  • the C-Log with a LUT
  • the C-Log graded manually to match the LUT

I suspect you'll see that the last two are pretty similar, although that will depend on how many tools your software has and how good at grading you are.  Even if this just re-affirms what you already know, you'll still learn something.

That screen was at the base log ISO of 400. I tried over exposing to the point where my highlights clipped, there was still a ton of bg noise. I think I mentioned it, but I did manually grade and still had the same issue. I just never remember having this issue on the c200 I used. Obviously there is a massive price difference, I just don't think I can achieve the look I wanted (little drama) with this camera. I hate using neat video, it can take forever sometimes, so that's not an option for quick turnaround. Then the color banding, which is easy to see in motion and at full resolution in PP, makes this frustrating. Everytime I just talk myself into finding a purpose for this camera, ignoring the downfalls, it finds a new way to irritate me. I posted a detailed thing in one of the eos r threads of other issues; freezing, banding, soft 60p etc. I am just going to send this one back and pray that canon does it right on their pro body. I will just plan ahead better and rent for now when I need a second or third angle. 

3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

That screen was at the base log ISO of 400. I tried over exposing to the point where my highlights clipped, there was still a ton of bg noise. I think I mentioned it, but I did manually grade and still had the same issue. I just never remember having this issue on the c200 I used. Obviously there is a massive price difference, I just don't think I can achieve the look I wanted (little drama) with this camera. I hate using neat video, it can take forever sometimes, so that's not an option for quick turnaround. Then the color banding, which is easy to see in motion and at full resolution in PP, makes this frustrating. Everytime I just talk myself into finding a purpose for this camera, ignoring the downfalls, it finds a new way to irritate me. I posted a detailed thing in one of the eos r threads of other issues; freezing, banding, soft 60p etc. I am just going to send this one back and pray that canon does it right on their pro body. I will just plan ahead better and rent for now when I need a second or third angle. 

Yeah I'd not be happy with what you are getting.

• 8 months later...

Shooting at a lower iso in this scenario will give you more stops in the shadows and yield slightly less noise. If you are using canon luts you dont want to ettr you need to expose middle grey at 38%. Even still the canon luts are not designed to work with 8 bit especially with the 1080p alli codec and wont yield good results from my testing. The best work around for me has been getting an atomos ninja v and shooting in prores 422 at 10bit. The canon luts wont work still as the footage out of the atomos is not as flat but its very easy to manually grade.  Shooting outdoors or in a well lit environment I find internal c log fine and really easy to work with but in situations like your example noise etc. is a real issue. Ideally I record with the atomos at all times but if I cant I just switch to the neutral profile with contrast and sharpening all the way down for lower light scenarios.   

The banding in your image is caused by heavy compression and there's no way to fix it other than shooting with external recorder. 

As for LUTs I would suggest to avoid official Canon REC709 LUTs because they have very aggressive curve and tend to blow out highlights very easily. You can see it on your model's face.