Major Sony update for A9, A7 line

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Now this is what I call an update.

Many improvements,  new features for video, intervalometer, finally touch screen tracking. Most of those improvement I thought would come for the A7SIII. Now they also come for existing product. 

8C6B032B-B387-4F61-9E7E-3A9A99153402.jpeg

All that and still no SLOG/HLG.. there is no excuse! 

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

All that and still no SLOG/HLG.. there is no excuse! 

Such a slap in the face for A9 hybrid shooters. The one feature they've been asking since day 1 and that's available inside their "basic model".

This reminds me of the FS5 mark 2 announcement when the only thing they added was a new picture profile (which could have been delivered to FS5 mk1 via firmware).

People love to harp on Canon but Sony at times are similar if not worst.

2 hours ago, mirekti said:

Has AWB lock existed before or it is a new feature?
This is something I really miss in GH5. ...sometimes :)

It is a new feature. The Sony announcement also mentions a 'new AWB algorithm' which results in 'better color reproduction'. Hopefully this will hold true as Sony's AWB isnt the best.

One feature I would have liked to see added to the firmware update (that isnt) is the ability to send RAW stills to smart devices via wifi.

• Super Members
12 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

One feature I would have liked to see added to the firmware update (that isnt) is the ability to send RAW stills to smart devices via wifi.

If you get tired of waiting for them to do it then maybe have a look at using Toshiba FlashAir wifi SD cards which will enable you to do it ?

The current ones are 90 MB/s so far more usable than the older systems like EyeFi cards.

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you get tired of waiting for them to do it then maybe have a look at using Toshiba FlashAir wifi SD cards which will enable you to do it ?

The current ones are 90 MB/s so far more usable than the older systems like EyeFi cards.

Good suggestion (and yes I have a bunch of eye-fi cards gathering dust on my shelf for exactly the reason you mention.)

Someone has just released an ios app for the A7 - Camrote - which claims to do RAW transfer via wifi (as well as provide an intervalometer.) Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work!

• Administrators
On 1/17/2019 at 7:12 AM, tellure said:

Looking forward to touch screen tracking.  Still no picture profiles though?  Sigh..

The A9 does at least get other colour tweaks and Night picture profile on -1 contrast, -3 sharpness is pretty good, I find.

Funnily enough I've been using my Super 16 c-mount lenses on the A9 in 2x crop mode. Maintains crispy 4K res at 2x crop in video mode and some c-mount lenses 75mm and longer cover Super 35mm mode as well!

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Very nice! Hopefully it motivates everyone else to follow suit. I knew this was coming this year. Canon may lose its number 1 auto focus title. 

Looks like the A7RIII and A7III won't see the update though. 

Yes they get the update it’s been announced officially (most features including continuous eye AF, animal AF, intervalometer...)

comes in April.

Can’t wait to see what they got for the A7SIII 

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Very nice! Hopefully it motivates everyone else to follow suit. I knew this was coming this year. Canon may lose its number 1 auto focus title. 

Looks like the A7RIII and A7III won't see the update though. 

Looks like they are getting some updates?

https://www.provideocoalition.com/sony-upgrades-α9-mirrorless-camera-via-software-and-updates-α7r-iii-and-α7-iii/

On 1/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The A9 does at least get other colour tweaks and Night picture profile on -1 contrast, -3 sharpness is pretty good, I find.

Funnily enough I've been using my Super 16 c-mount lenses on the A9 in 2x crop mode. Maintains crispy 4K res at 2x crop in video mode and some c-mount lenses 75mm and longer cover Super 35mm mode as well!

2x crop with the Clear Image Zoom to maintain 4K I take it?  Do you find it has any additional jitter / image stabilization issues?  I always seem to see a bit of bounce in the frame in the clear image zoom tests:

I must say I've been remiss in not trying it out, I should do some testing with it.  I've been thinking about the potential of switching to the 16-35mm 2.8 as a single all-purpose lens when you can effectively turn it into a 16-70mm 2.8 with Clear Image Zoom.

16 minutes ago, tellure said:

I must say I've been remiss in not trying it out, I should do some testing with it.  I've been thinking about the potential of switching to the 16-35mm 2.8 as a single all-purpose lens when you can effectively turn it into a 16-70mm 2.8 with Clear Image Zoom.

I used the 16-35 with the A7iii a week ago, as B photographer (just helping a friend) and I was really impressed by the quality and speed of the combo. Amazing lens, a bit on the expensive size, but light and small and quick and great IQ. Didn't use Clear Zoom or any of this though.