EOSHD Opinion - The Sony A6400 is an absolute turkey

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Jesse Maxson said:

We need to think of this as an upgrade to the a6000 as opposed to a disappointing new offering from Sony.  The a6000 was and still is a great camera.  A compact and lightweight APSC cam that takes great pics and nice 1080p

It's an A6300 upgrade. It even has the same sensor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

in the US it might be somewhat interesting, here in Europe it's 1050€. https://www.amazon.fr/Sony-ILCE-6400-Numérique-Autofocus-Ultra-Rapide/dp/B07MW8GTYD  

that's nearly 1200$. And for that you get an old sensor with very bad rolling shutter, 8bit only, 30p only and bitrates still stuck 100Mbps. That might have been interesting in 2016 when the A6300 was released, but in 2019 it's not. 

18 minutes ago, Jesse Maxson said:

Sure, but it's also an a6000 / a5100 upgrade.

Its a successor to the A6300 by number and specs. 

I mean I think I get what you are saying. If you only had an A6000 or maybe even no Sony at all, the A6400 is quite good. Its a bit dissapointing if you are upgrading from an A6500 or A6300. However it is a camera I'd recommend to people. The auto focus is amazing and it has updated A7III color. Not a bad camera. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, salim said:

That said, I don't love Sony cameras and that's probably what you're referring to. They're good gadget but never feel like a tool you want to use. I have the 6000 and the A7Riii. 

I was debating between waiting for Sony A7RIV/A7SIII or Panasonic s1. I ended getting the Panasonic S1 for $2250 with free battery and battery grip after I came to the same realization you made.

Sony will always make a tech gadget instead of a tool for creatives to use that I enjoy using. The A7III took many short cuts to get to the $2000 price point - poor EVF (2.36 million dot EVF), poor LCD that's not fully touch screen (900k dot). 

Panasonic S1 has great ergonomic, best EVF 5.76 million dot, best IBIS, 4K60, 2.1 million dot but of course their AF do not rival Sony.  Whatever new sensor from Sony, I'm sure it will be share with Panasonic and Nikon.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, PrometheusDM said:

I was debating between waiting for Sony A7RIV/A7SIII or Panasonic s1. I ended getting the Panasonic S1 for $2250 with free battery and battery grip after I came to the same realization you made.

Sony will always make a tech gadget instead of a tool for creatives to use that I enjoy using. The A7III took many short cuts to get to the $2000 price point - poor EVF (2.36 million dot EVF), poor LCD that's not fully touch screen (900k dot). 

Panasonic S1 has great ergonomic, best EVF 5.76 million dot, best IBIS, 4K60, 2.1 million dot but of course their AF do not rival Sony.  Whatever new sensor from Sony, I'm sure it will be share with Panasonic and Nikon.

They don't use the same sensors. The Sony company that manufactures them produce them on contract for major clients like Sony (camera subsidiary, which is independent of the semiconductor subsidiary that makes the chips), Panasonic and Nikon according to the designs the clients give them. They might be similar, but not the same. Sony also produces generic off the shelf sensors for minor clients of course, but those too are different from the sensors produced for major clients. 

Sony makes DPAF sensors for Samsung for example. Those are designed by Samsung (some are made by Samsung as well) using a license from Canon. Sony as a secondary manufacturer gets a sublicense from Samsung specifically for making those designs under contract. The sublicense would not allow them to make DPAF sensors for anyone else though, unless that company also licensed DPAF from Canon even though Sony are capable of making them. The differences between the Samsung and Sony sensors stem from the manufacturing process used in the respective plants, but the design is the same. A lot of people get confused about how this all works because they don't understand how manufacturing and supply chain management function. 

The deals with Panasonic and Nikon would work in a similar manner. They would end up with parts that have a Sony number but are still the clients design. There may be common elements in the manufacture, because the sensor would be manufactured in the same facility, but the design itself would be different.

People keep on forgetting that the Sony that makes cameras is not the same company as the Sony that makes sensors. They might be owned by the same holding company, but they are run independently. Sensors designed by the camera company will NOT be available for other camera companies to use.