EOSHD Opinion - The Sony A6400 is an absolute turkey

Andrew Reid

The A6400 is a killer camera for the price. The people buying them are not going to be making 3 hour Feature films with them. Just about any new camera now is better than any older camera made 5 years ago. Even old Cine cameras. Great AF, touchscreen, face, eye detection, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS , on and on. Heck you can have a Arri Alexa, doesn't mean you can use it worth a crap. More money has nothing to do with it. You can buy an old BMPCC for 350 bucks that knocks your socks off. People want it because of the flip up touch screen and great AF, and the price.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, webrunner5 said:

The A6400 is a killer camera for the price. Christ the people buying them are not going to be making 3 hour Feature films with them. Just about any new camera now is better than any older camera made 5 years ago. Even old Cine cameras. Great AF, touchscreen, face, eye detection, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS , on and on. Heck you can have a Arri Alexa, doesn't mean you can use it worth a crap. More money has nothing to do with it. You can buy an old BMPCC for 350 bucks that knocks your socks off. People want it because of the flip up touch screen.

Couldn't they at least have done a pana style flippy screen so people could use mics. 

I don't mind them using an old sensor, like you said a lot of old sensors are awesome. However the A6300 sensor was shit when it came out and its still shit now. 

I agree though it will sell and thats all companies really care about. Still its a POS, I hate the A6300??

I really have Never liked the Panny style flippy screen. For one reason I am nearly blind in my left eye, and guess which way almost Every flip out screen goes, even on Cine camera, not counting I am left handed! Plus you have to move your face away from the back of the camera. But no I won't buy one because I, at my age, Need to have a EVF to look into. My arms aren't long enough as they say to use a LCD.  ? I think they made the right decision for Vloggers with the flip up screen.

I wonder if the 1080p is worth a crap. Because the A6300 was Terrible @1080p, now the 4K was pretty good. I never wanted a A6000 series camera because my hands are Way too big to use a body that little. But the A6000 was a damn good camera back in the day.

17 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah only the M50 is $500 and probably has more usable 1080p. 

Not sure about eye AF but tracking of those skate dudes looked great.

List price is $780, with current discounts that Canon periodically has to move older products that are not selling. If you are shooting in 4K you definitely would use the Sony camera over the Canon one. 1080p footage is fairly similar I think.

12 hours ago, tweak said:

G85 Autofocus sucks (it sucks on GH5 as well, I have one). 
EOSm50 DPAF is a game changer for vloggers, my partner couldn't give a toss about 4K (or IQ much in general), she just wants reliable AF and a file she can edit on a regular laptop computer (same as most other vloggers out there).

For the reccord I would never buy an EOSm50 as my sole camera, but I'm not a vlogger ;) .

Most regular people don't vlog in 4K (even Casey doesn't anymore). EOSm50 autofocus in 1080p is amazing.

Vloggers want reliable autofocus unfortunately. I'd agree a G85 is a much nicer camera otherwise, but it's falls short in the one key feature in which most vloggers care about most.

p.s. Also if you've ever used an m50 you'd see how intuitive and helpful it is to use for people who aren't super into cameras. The scene specific timelapse modes is also a great touch.

This market segment is aimed at consumers, not vloggers. You might use them for vlogging, but that is not what drives the sales.

Modern Sony AF is very good as well. The main differences IMO likely come from how responsive the lens is, not the camera itself. 

People might not vlog much in 4K, but so what? Not everything these cameras are used for is vlogging, and I would say that most video shot with them is NOT vlogging. In a consumer camera it would be for better home video than what you otherwise might get from a cell phone, and for that the Sony is going to beat the Canon.

15 hours ago, Snowbro said:

It helps it not hunt and jump in & out of focus randomly sometimes. I found that to be preferable to manually focusing, which wasn't completely accurate with peaking anyhow. 

You probably have the peaking tolerances set incorrectly.

14 minutes ago, Django said:

boy as Andrew said that is one ugly convoluted solution when you think of the self-conscious demographics they are so desperate to appeal towards.. 

dh4n5s.png

Who r those? Are these youtube celebrities or smthng? I opened the video for a few seconds and it was embarrassingly unwatchable. You are very brave to reach the 4:03!

40 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Couldn't they at least have done a pana style flippy screen so people could use mics. 

I don't mind them using an old sensor, like you said a lot of old sensors are awesome. However the A6300 sensor was shit when it came out and its still shit now. 

I agree though it will sell and thats all companies really care about. Still its a POS, I hate the A6300??

That is not really possible with a small body like the a6x00 series, at least not without a major body redesign. 

Keep in mind that margins are kept in check by minimizing development, and that means using existing technology and designs where possible. For the a6400 it uses the a6300 body for the most part, and adds the RX100 flip up screen. All tried and tested tech without the need for a lot of development, in other words they can produce the camera for a lower cost, important for the market space the camera occupies. This is quite consistent with how Sony does things and is the main reason why they can have a fast turn around with incremental upgrades to their systems. As a manufacturer what you DON'T want is to have to reinvent the wheel with every upgrade, because that makes things much more expensive than they otherwise would have been.

6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Who r those? Are these youtube celebrities or smthng? I opened the video for a few seconds and it was embarrassingly unwatchable. You are very brave to reach the 4:03!

That looks like iJustine and her buddy.

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, Django said:

boy as Andrew said that is one ugly convoluted solution when you think of the self-conscious demographics they are so desperate to appeal towards.. 

I dunno.

Once you've taken that step of walking along in public talking into any camera it is debatable whether there is any self-consciousness left that can be challenged by a mere bracket being attached to the camera ;)

33 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

sorry i have no idea who they are. i wish i could take bravery credit for watching that but i  just scrubbed with my macbook touchbar until i hit that frame. took about 5 seconds.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I really have Never liked the Panny style flippy screen. For one reason I am nearly blind in my left eye, and guess which way almost Every flip out screen goes, even on Cine camera, not counting I am left handed! Plus you have to move your face away from the back of the camera. But no I won't buy one because I, at my age, Need to have a EVF to look into. My arms aren't long enough as they say to use a LCD.  ? I think they made the right decision for Vloggers with the flip up screen.

I wonder if the 1080p is worth a crap. Because the A6300 was Terrible @1080p, now the 4K was pretty good. I never wanted a A6000 series camera because my hands are Way too big to use a body that little. But the A6000 was a damn good camera back in the day.

For vlogging though pana style is ideal. I mean the 4k on the 6300 looks great, but its ruined by terrible rolling shutter. 

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

List price is $780, with current discounts that Canon periodically has to move older products that are not selling. If you are shooting in 4K you definitely would use the Sony camera over the Canon one. 1080p footage is fairly similar I think.

You can get them on ebay new for $500 or $550 with a lens. The A6300 was honestly the worst 1080p I've ever used.

I find it funny how people on here think the average consumer could care less about RS but for some reason they care so much about 4k, which codec they can't even edit on their laptops. For the average person the m50 is a much better option: the price is more appealing, has a proper screen, more aesthetically pleasing, better brand name recognition, and ergonomically a treat with that nice touch screen interface.  

Most people watch youtube (I'd hazard a guess at around 80%) on their phone, for which 480p is good enough. I used to own a a6300 and sold it. That thing was so sharp you could see every pore and blemish on your face. I put it on 1080p and - ah - so much better for my appearance haha. 

I don't see vloggers spending the extra money over a m50 - it would be a stupid decision. 

Why, the M50 has Shit AF in 4K. The lenses are few and far between, and expensive. Tons of used lenses around for the A6400. And VLoggers prefer the flip up screen. I'd say it is more of a toss up. And actually Sony has way better upward mobility if you want to get serious about video. They even have a XLR thingy for the A6400 out.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Why, the M50 has Shit AF in 4K. The lenses are few and far between, and expensive. Tons of used lenses around for the A6400. And VLoggers prefer the flip up screen. I'd say it is more of a toss up. And actually Sony has way better upward mobility if you want to get serious about video. They even have a XLR thingy for the A6400 out.

The guy's whole point is nobody needs 4k for youtube vlogging. Most youtubers don't upload in 4k either. 

12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The guy's whole point is nobody needs 4k for youtube vlogging. Most youtubers don't upload in 4k either. 

Just because Casey Neistat quit doing doesn't mean everyone quit doing it. There is tons of 4K content on YouTube. And if you are using a normal Canon camera you really need to shoot in 4K and downsample. Other than the C series, most canon 1080p is really soft. Not a bad thing for what we like, but not what VLoggers want. I am on You Tube all day. Sure older stuff is 1080p, most new stuff is 4K. You really think people use 1080p on their Smartphones? Or going to use it on a Osmo Pocket, I really doubt that.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Just because Casey Neistat quit doing doesn't mean everyone quit doing it. There is tons of 4K content on YouTube. And if you are using a normal Canon camera you really need to shoot in 4K and downsample. Other than the C series, most canon 1080p is really soft. Not a bad thing for what we like, but not what VLoggers want. I am on You Tube all day. Sure older stuff is 1080p, most new stuff is 4K. You really think people use 1080p on their Smartphones? Or going to use it on a Osmo Pocket, I really doubt that.

Yeah maybe people directing uploading videos from their phone. Most of the videos I watch are 1080p. Using 4k and editing and rendering in 4k are two different things. 
Canon 1080p is soft but so is Sony. 

I think the 4K lobby has been pretty successful at this point in time. 4K is like a brand. And youtubers are pretty sensitive to that.

RS on the other hand is a technical term which outside these forums very few people probably know/care about. 

That doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to us but within the intended target audience: 4K > RS.